Hey everyone,

I bought a Peavey 6505 112 combo last summer. When I first got it, I absolutely loved it, couldn't stop playing it. But since then, I've strayed away from metal and started listening to and playing less high gain type bands: Wolf Mother, Queens of the Stone Age, Arctic Monkeys, Black Keys, etc. I find myself on the "clean" channel more than the gain channel, using my Big Muff Germanium for gain and drive when needed. Now the pedal has that low end fuzz, but it just sounds muddy through my amp. Either way, the amp doesn't clean up as much as I'd like it to, but I still love the gain channel when I'm feeling some metal.

Now I've been looking into the Orange Crush Amps, specifically the 120w 212 combo, and I'm starting to consider trading the Peavey in for it. I played it at Guitar Center, it has really nice cleans, and the gain is passable IMO, obviously nothing close to the tubed Peavey. It just feels like it has more versatility, dynamics, and character than the Peavey.

I'm on the fence with this, what do you guys think? I'm usually playing at home or in basements, with my HSS Fender Strat.
Gear:
2005 American Deluxe Strat
Schecter Damien Elite
Peavey 6505+ combo
The amp is fine, but a 120 watt 2x12 is overkill unless you’re playing 1000 person clubs. But you’ll have plenty of headroom for your Muff.
I'm pretty sure the Orange "Crush" series aren't tube amps. If I'm right about that, then no, 120w is not overkill for anything. It'll barely keep up with a drummer, and will be drowned out entirely if the drummer even starts to play hard and heavy. If you're gonna go with an Orange amp, spend the money and get a tube one. Otherwise, I'd say stick to the clean channel/rhythm crunch channel on the 6505 and keep using your pedals.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Quote by jpnyc
The amp is fine, but a 120 watt 2x12 is overkill unless you’re playing 1000 person clubs. But you’ll have plenty of headroom for your Muff.
How would that be overkill?

This is more or less a myth - more headroom is better, and if you want power tube distortion at reasonable volumes you want a 1w amp.

Volume controls work TS, you may use them.

Yeah anyway TS, was I you I'd get some sort of a dual terror really.

That is, if you're sure you'll not be interested in your 6505's high gain side again.
If you think you may be, then get a replacement speaker, something like a celestion creamback or the copy from WGS or an eminence v12 or something of the sorts.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
forget the Crush you'll hate yourself after having a tube amp. how bout something like a Peavey Classic 30 (or 50) great clean channel and the drive channel is good for hard rock and less (not much for metal though).
If you're going Orange, try and aim for one of the Terror series. Great little rock amps.
Quote by darkwolf291
+1
Used a tiny terror in the studio on the rhythm tracks for the doom band I'm in
Great sounding amps with a lot of crunch

Not to mention sticking a muff up them can be biblical
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I definitely would go for a tubed Orange if I had the funds, but since the Peavey was $600, I'm sticking with that price range.

Quote by Spambot_2
That is, if you're sure you'll not be interested in your 6505's high gain side again.
If you think you may be, then get a replacement speaker, something like a celestion creamback or the copy from WGS or an eminence v12 or something of the sorts.

Would changing out the speaker really make that large of a difference?
Gear:
Schecter Damien Elite
Peavey 6505+ combo
Quote by fenderfrenzy101
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I definitely would go for a tubed Orange if I had the funds, but since the Peavey was $600, I'm sticking with that price range.

Tiny Terrors fall in that price range don't they?
How about trading in your 6505 combo for a used Peavey JSX Combo? Guitar Center used has some for $500 - $600.

JSX has 3 channels - very good cleans, a crunch, and then an Ultra channel. I think it may be more of what you're looking for. It doesn't get as brutal as the 6505 but close.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by jpnyc

GTFO. seriously. i woudn't react to that if you were new, but that is just silly bad acvice.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by telemetal

if not, not too far off. i love my dual terror. i think it gets more play than any other amp i have.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by monwobobbo
forget the Crush you'll hate yourself after having a tube amp.

If he’s getting his distortion from a Muff it doesn’t matter.
Quote by jpnyc
If he’s getting his distortion from a Muff it doesn’t matter.

you have extended your posts of idiocy, for that i will .
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by fenderfrenzy101
A serious difference.

Not night and day, but a noticeable, serious difference.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Big +1 peavey speakers are not known for sounding good.

However a speaker may not be enough to make you happy with your amp.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by telemetal

Yep.

https://reverb.com/marketplace?ships_to=&query=Orange+tiny+terror+combo+make%3Aorange&sort=price%7Casc
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
get one. they are straight up bitchin'
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by telemetal
If you're going Orange, try and aim for one of the Terror series. Great little rock amps.

I wish that I could second, third, and fourth this. I played a Tiny terror for years. On stage, at home, in the studio. It was an every down kind of Runningback, errr... amp. And honestly, a Dual Terror will do just about everything you could ask for.

I only upgraded when we started playing bigger clubs and I wanted headroom, and a Marshall.

I still have that Tiny Terror - and have no plans to sell it.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
A buddy of mine recommended that I try replacing the stock speaker in my Peavey with a vintage 30, before I go on an amp hunt. You guys agree?

Otherwise, since the Tiny Terrors don't have many knobs, does that detract from your ability to shape your desired sound?
Gear:
Schecter Damien Elite
Peavey 6505+ combo
Quote by fenderfrenzy101
A buddy of mine recommended that I try replacing the stock speaker in my Peavey with a vintage 30, before I go on an amp hunt. You guys agree?

Otherwise, since the Tiny Terrors don't have many knobs, does that detract from your ability to shape your desired sound?

the speaker IS an upgrade, but its not going to turn your amp into something different. IMO a V30 would probably just make it more metally.

you have to make the decision, but i don't know if your 6505+ is the right amp that would fit you best.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
So the 6505/6505+ amp family is very good at what they do but versatility is not their strong point. They're not designed that way.

Now if you don't want to spend the cash on a new amp right away, you can try to clean up the 6505 a bit first for way less money.

You can make the clean channel cleaner by swapping some tubes out.

Put a 5751 in V1 and also a 5751 in the Phase Invertor (I spent the money on a balanced one but some say its a gimmick).

Also get a 12DW7 (1/2 of a 12ax7 and 1/2 of a 12au7) and put that in V2 (at least in the 5150/6505). The 12ax7 side goes to the lead channel so it's untouched but the 12au7 side goes to the green channel so it reduces the gain.

You may also want to get a 12au7 and/or 12at7 and experiment. So 2x 5751, 1x 12dw7, 1x 12au7, 1x 12at7 is about $65+ shipping.

I ended up down a similar path of wanting more versatility out of my 5150. Hundreds of $ later (tubes, v30 speakers, MXR 10-band EQ pedal, etc.) I bought a Mesa Roadster for a great deal locally. Versatility problem solved but the Mesa was still over $1,000.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Another way to sweeten the clean channel would be to use a subtle chorus on it. Set it low enough & you won't need to turn it off when you change channels
My Gear:- A guitar, a guitar lead, a guitar amplifier. Or sometimes just an acoustic guitar!
dude don't by the orange crush...they are just crap compared to any other orange products and your 6505. you can snag a tiny terror in your price range if you look. if the eq controls don't give you what you want pony up some more bread and go for the dual terror. if not buy an eq pedal.

you could also look at the peavey classic mini head that just came out.
carvin v3m can be had for cheap. and it will do anything you want it to. 3 channels and lots of knobs to turn.
classic 30
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Another vote for a used JSX. A XXX or XXX II will also fit the bill nicely. With all 3 channels, you should be able to get quite a variety of sounds from clean to thick distortion.
You could also try loading up the 6505 with lower gain tubes. On those you can even run 12AU7's.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification