Alright guys. The most "recording" I've ever done was with a camera phone. So I'm a total beginner. What do I need to lay down some good sounding guitar tracks? I'm looking at a Line 6 Pod HD500X right now, because I've really dug the tones that Robar gets on Youtube. Very tight, crunchy, saturated distortion and such.

(Example.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7iPzD5Wsys

But does that go straight into the computer after that? Do I need some form of filter of sort? How much will a decent one cost? Would it possibly be better to just buy a decent mic and mic my amp? I'd love some info! Here's a list of my gear atm. The budget isn't really set in stone right now. Mostly a future thing, I'm currently jobless, but I'm serious about this, and I want to keep building this rig to eventually be a professional to the best of my ability. I just need info.

Current gear:
Jackson RRMG (guitar)
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V DLXJRVO (guitar)
Behringer Vintager AC112 60Watt (Dad's amp that I use. It's honestly got workable cleans when messed with.)
Laney HC25 (My backup/practice amp)
ElectroHarmonix Metal Muff With Top Boost (Distortion pedal)

I get solid enough tones so far. Took a hit when my MultiFX pedal died on during poor storage while I was "between homes", but I wasn't that big of a fan of it anyways...
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I know most new multifx come with USB interfaces. I like Vox Tonelab 1st, Boss GT-100 before the Line6, but I think the hd500 has USB interface as well.
You can also use audio interface or something like Audiolink and buy amp Sim vsts or use freeware, like LePou.