does anybody use it much?

would anybody pay more for an amp that has it?

is it a feature you would or motivate you to buy an amp?

i am ranting, and just curious. i have ran my splawns at 50 and 100 watts, and there is just not much difference. if i get it stupid loud i could tell a tiny bit, but that was at what i would consider excessively loud for gigging (you are mic'd for a reason aren't you )

i just don't see a whole lot of need with it. i certainly wouldn't buy an amp FOR that purpose, but i don't think i would NOT buy an amp that had it. i understand that it does cut some degree of headroom, and that is a personal thing.

i am sorry and just -ing and am curious. (sorry if i used the wrong term if power scaling is incorrect i couldn't think of another word).

for what its worth most of my amps are higher wattage, and i haven't tried running a 4 watt at a 1/4 watt.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
It's mostly a ****ing gimmick that kids fall for IMO.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I have two amps with switchable power , a Carvin V3m and Mk V ......

the MK V you can actually assign a particular channel to a certain watt , for example you could have you dirty channel 90 watt and set your clean for 10 watt , with the volume balanced between both channels your clean channel would have good tube saturation at volume with 10 watts that you wouldn't have at 90 watt

the carvin V3m was my first adjustable wattage amp , when I bought I noticed not much volume difference but more "thump" ..... maybe slightly disappointed that there wasn't much volume difference at first .... now in band practice we usually play loud but the last couple we were turned down and I didn't like my dirty channel sound with the volume set on 1.5 and master volume of 4 , so I been using 7 watt and 25 watt setting and it lets me leave the master volume at 5 or more with my dirty set at 4 ..... sounds way better turned up at lower wattage than the volume turned down on higher wattage ....... or it least that what it takes to get great sound out of the V3m .... on the Messa Mk V I haven't played with it enough (yet) to give a honest opinion on sound verses watts ......
Quote by Cathbard

i definitely think i agree, or not... i just remembered i have two other amps that have it i forgot about.

the egnater and rebels are TOTAL gimmics (as most would agree), i have owned both.

my MKIV i have no idea, lol.

i think my Sig:X does. its in a closet at the moment so its not convenient to grab.but it must not be a big deal or i wouldn't have remembered using it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i definitely think i agree, or not... i just remembered i have two other amps that have it i forgot about.

I am so f-king robbing you so I can have a second amp.

I haven't gotten to play any of the amps I'm looking at that have switching. It seems like something that would be useful to a private player like myself. But I could be 100% wrong.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 10, 2015,
Don't know if it matters for a 50/100 watt gigging amp, but I love it on my little practice amps. I've got a Vox AC4 little tube amp that I can switch from 4 watts, down to 1 watt, and down to 1/4 watt. Really nice for practicing in my office at home. Nice and clean at 4 watts, clean to creamy distortion at 1 watt, depending on guitar vol or picking intensity, then all messed up at 1/4 watt, all with reasonable volume in the house.
Ughh cries of gimmicks everywhere. From 100 to 50 it wont do much, but if you have settings from 1 to 20 to 100 thats where you get the use out of this feature. Everyone knows you need a tube amp up to at least 3 or 4 to get that good sound and theres no way in hell you will get that on a 100 watt setting. Not only is it great for changing between bedroom and live venues, you can get some really interesting variance in sound on your amps.
Quote by Trowzaa
Why do you and your mates all drive old vehicles?
Please say you've got mates with old ambulances and fire engines too. That'd be brilliant.
Quote by troyofyort
Ughh cries of gimmicks everywhere. From 100 to 50 it wont do much, but if you have settings from 1 to 20 to 100 thats where you get the use out of this feature. Everyone knows you need a tube amp up to at least 3 or 4 to get that good sound and theres no way in hell you will get that on a 100 watt setting. Not only is it great for changing between bedroom and live venues, you can get some really interesting variance in sound on your amps.

1. then why do they do it on 50/100? not that there is a reason or it matters. i have gigged with most of my big heads and with most i can still have nice cleans on 50 watts. still not loud enough for power tube gain.

2. what amp are you playing? i get plenty of good tone under three or four. most amps have a MV these days. or at least you buy one for your needs.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Cathbard
/thread
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
doubling the power only gives about 3 db of volume. A half power switch won't do much to any amp.
I would absolutely buy an amp for it. But it really depends on the amp. Power scaling on a high-gain amp isn't going to sway me nor will it sway me on a 100W amp. But power scaling on a clean or low-gain amp could be major a selling point. An 18W non-master volume amp could really use something like that. It's not about being quieter, it's about getting the tone you need at a more suitable volume. You're probably playing at different volumes for different situations. That power scaling allows you to adjust to those situations.
Utterly useless marketing crap!
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
if you have a non-master amp and want amp distortion at low, home volumes, then it can be handy (though it has to go low enough, like well below a watt... I think power scaling does, and VVR certainly does).

if it only drops the wattage a bit (say, half power) I'm not as convinced of its use, especially on a master volume amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My Splawn has a half power switch. There is a huge difference, but i'm not sure I would ever use it.

There is a large volume difference, even if it is just perceived volume, on my Splawn. It doesn't make bedroom playing any more possible really, since you can get sounds at any volume, but it is definitely noticeable.

The biggest difference would be how the amp sounds. The brightness disappears. I would have to crank the treble, middle, and presence to get anywhere near what my amp would sound like on full power with those dials below noon.

For all I know this could be a huge selling point for you. The clean channel already has some dirtyness too it so I don't need it to break up any sooner than it already does. I also don't need my distortion channel getting any more gainy from it either.

In fact, the best thing my amp does is it letsme change the output loop volume and not touch the front of my amp. I can just lower that a lot while Im warming up my fingers or trying to work something out without losing my settings up front. Very useful for me.

In conclusion, on my splawn, the difference is very noticeable, but i don't use the feature. Not for me.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify