Hey all,

Ok so I'm doing my research into Stats I currently own a Gibson Les Paul Gold Blue Swirl however I'm looking at expanding my collection and getting a Fender Strat ...Why not ey?

I'm looking at buying the American Standard in particular this one;

http://intl.fender.com/en-AU/guitars/stratocaster/limited-edition-american-standard-stratocaster-oiled-ash-maple-fingerboard-natural/

I know its a hard question to answer but in your opinion which model is the best?

Thanks in advance

B
i am not going to help you if you are not going to help me. please give us more info.

go some where and play a bunch. i would recommend going used. i woldn't ever pay more than $600 for a used one (unless it is THE one).

you have to figure out if you want maple or rosewood fretboard. also some have different pickups and different voicing. get whatever you want. the neck profiles have curvyness in them, you got to figure out what you want.

FWIW i own three American teles, and two MIM strats. i do generally thing that the USA guitars are better on average, but there are always some that are amazing and some are duds. i have two MIM strats now, i have through the last ten years, owned over a dozen different strats. those two made the cut.

my MIA teles are stellar, IMO. i have a USA std, a 52 reissue, and a 1997 plus version II (precursor to the deluxe series). they are great gutars.

i would try before you buy. and also keep in mind the are really easy to mod, so if there is something that you don't like the most, you can swap it.

good luck
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Yeah, what trashedlostfdup said...

I've got all American Strats, and have abandoned my Les Pauls recently since I decided I am a strat guy ( well, I kept a couple...).

Definitely try a lot, they really vary a lot. Find one you love the looks of, the feel of, and the way it sounds. Well, that seems obvious I guess, why else would you buy it. But I remember when I was first starting out and didn't really know what I liked, or why something would sound different or feel different. I bought a ton of guitars, because they were pretty, or sounded nice in the store, or it was unique in some way.

I still have a lot of them, but I've really narrowed down the ones I actually play regularly now that I've figured out what I like and know why I like it.

So my advice? Try a lot of guitars. My current favorite is a Fender Strat American Special. Maple fretboard, a big 70's style headstock, hot texas pickups. I love it.
Quote by PeterBradley
Yeah, what trashedlostfdup said...

I've got all American Strats, and have abandoned my Les Pauls recently since I decided I am a strat guy ( well, I kept a couple...).

Definitely try a lot, they really vary a lot. Find one you love the looks of, the feel of, and the way it sounds. Well, that seems obvious I guess, why else would you buy it. But I remember when I was first starting out and didn't really know what I liked, or why something would sound different or feel different. I bought a ton of guitars, because they were pretty, or sounded nice in the store, or it was unique in some way.

I still have a lot of them, but I've really narrowed down the ones I actually play regularly now that I've figured out what I like and know why I like it.

So my advice? Try a lot of guitars. My current favorite is a Fender Strat American Special. Maple fretboard, a big 70's style headstock, hot texas pickups. I love it.

damn i had some sloppy typing. lol. i was preoccupied.

definitely play them.

i have had a little over 60 guitars throughout the last 10-12 years, peaked around 40, sold down to 10 and am working my way back up again . i got rod pf the cheaper guitars a traded and bought and sold up. they had something cool, but most you can live without. lol. i am sitting at 22 electrics, give or take one or two.

the strats i have been the happiest with are MIM's from the mid '90;s. the one that i have is a '96, the other is a FSR strat, and its pretty new, but it just fell into my lap. its a keeper. i just happened to get lucky.

also strats don't need hambuckersto their job.. SSS FTW.

FWIW JB's aren't all that bad in strats, but it doesn't sit right with me lol
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
the model that is best is the one that works for you. strats can be a very individual guitar. you can play 10 of them and only like 3 of them even though they are the same model. you really can't go wrong with an american Standard though. personally i'm not a fan of the Special but obviously another poster here loves them.

i have a modded MIM strat that is my current fav (despite having an 89 STrat Plus Deluxe) this goes to show that more expensive doesn't always translate to "better" guitar.

best advice is to go try some and see what you like. although i like the look of the oiled guitars the wood is exposed and it is easier to damage them. probablynot ideal if you are playng out a lot.
Hey all,

Thanks heaps for all the advise and replies.

So I took your advise and I managed to find the Special edition oiled ash model at 1 store, apparently the only one in Queensland (Australia) and gave it a whirl.. and oh my god its amazing!! as you can probably imagine I bought it. I cant believe it took me this long to put down the Gibson, got a funny feeling I wont be picking it up for a few months lol

http://s300.photobucket.com/user/asorensen/media/IMG_0500_zpsysnjzct7.jpg.html
Quote by Brisbane
Hey all,

Thanks heaps for all the advise and replies.

So I took your advise and I managed to find the Special edition oiled ash model at 1 store, apparently the only one in Queensland (Australia) and gave it a whirl.. and oh my god its amazing!! as you can probably imagine I bought it. I cant believe it took me this long to put down the Gibson, got a funny feeling I wont be picking it up for a few months lol

http://s300.photobucket.com/user/asorensen/media/IMG_0500_zpsysnjzct7.jpg.html

very nice enjoy
Yeah definitely SSS is the way to go. One of my Strats is SSH, (an american deluxe) and I keep thinking of swapping out the pick guard & humbucker to get it back to SSS like a Strat should be! I'll play my PRS if I think I really need a humbucker sound.