First off I'll start this by saying I'm not sure if this is the right thread, as I could tell this was the closest category I could find.

I'm currently in year 12 music (the final year of high school if anyone's unsure of what that is), and we've got to perform songs, I've chosen the songs that I think are good for me, showing off my guitar abilities (I get marked on how I show off my abilities specifically but also as a group and how we perform). The only problem is that I don't have a singer for my songs, and I've been told that a singer is pretty much needed for my songs to be what they should but there is quite literally no one I can think of and no one anyone else can think of. The songs I've chosen are as follows:

Take me Out - Franz Ferdinand
Zebra - John Butler Trio
Love Rears its Ugly Head - Living Colour
Ghost of Perdition - Opeth

I guess what I'm wondering is if anyone has any tips to get the songs to what they need to be without a singer, I have considered getting another instrument to play the melody line even but yet again lots of people are busy and for some of the songs I would dare say finding music for the vocals would be difficult.

Also has anyone got an instrumental version of Ghost of Perdition? I've searched YouTube, I admit not thoroughly, and can't find any, I'm just curious to see how the song will sound without vocals.

Thanks.
Play chords/bass and melody at the same time. You need to have good arrangements to make the songs you listed sound interesting on just one guitar.

Why did you choose these particular songs? I would choose something that sounds good on solo guitar (so no riff based music where you would just repeat the same riff over and over again like in most of the songs on your list - you can of course make that sound good, but you need to do something else than just play the guitar part).

What you could do is play over a backing track. That way you could just play the guitar parts and it would sound good. It would be a good idea to play over backing tracks that don't have a guitar in them, but if there are none, I think it's OK to just use the normal album version of the song as your backing track - that way you will just be doubling the recorded guitar parts.

If you have Guitar Pro, you could use it as your backing track.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
If you're playing with a band, just have someone do melody.

If you're gonna play solo guitar, you should look for more "song/melody" oriented pieces than riff oriented pieces.

You're going to need to play melody, bass, and chords all at once, so you need something "singy"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_mmI2kthuI

An extreme example, but a good one.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Sorry should have mentioned this stuff before

@MaggaraMarine

I have a band, bassist and drummer. For Take me Out I've already combined two of the guitar parts into one, there's 3 guitars, and at some points I'm just playing the dominant riff. My music teacher was saying, we had a performance for him last week, that without some sort of a melody line it's just the same the whole way through and it wouldn't work for being assessed.

Take me Out and Love Rears its Ugly Head were from a list I had to play two songs from that were contrasting styles, and frankly they were some of the more difficult songs for guitar (the list is primarily centered around singers as that's what most people do when they do this subject). I had to choose contrasting styles, the other two songs were just songs I thought of, Zebra I was more interested in the solo, as I have to show off my abilities are a guitarist. Ghost of Perdition, I just knew I wanted to play a heavier song and I went through quite a few songs before deciding I wanted to play it. Changing songs is really out of the question as I only have 3 and a half months before I'm assessed on them an my band has already learned majority of the songs. Ghost of Perdition could change but I'd still like it to be a heavier sort of song, but most of the songs I listen to that are heavier I can't play, I just don't have the ability right now and don't have the time to boost my skills. Most heavy songs I find have really fast solos and my speed is honestly horrible, he solo in Zebra I've had to altered a lot and make up my own solo for it, merely because of the speed.

I can't use a backing track so that's out of the question.

@Jet Penguin

I don't have the ability for any song like that and, I think you were saying something like that for solo playing, but I'm doing group so I don't need to do something like that.

(I've probably missed something out again)
Changing songs is really out of the question as I only have 3 and a half months before I'm assessed on them an my band has already learned majority of the songs.

Your band can't learn four different songs in that amount of time?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
Your band can't learn four different songs in that amount of time?

Learning them wouldn't be a problem but picking songs, 2 that have to be from a list, finding music, learning it, then perfecting it so they're ready for assessed performance, while still maintaining study for 5 or 6 other subjects at school, I highly doubt it. Especially when we only have 4 times a week we can practice, those 4 times are the only time any of us really have to study for classes in school as well, and I've already asked too much of them, I had to change band members and it gave the new members to learn and make 2 songs performance ready 3 weeks. The drummer I have no issues about because he can pick stuff up really quick and make it sound good with only a few mishaps, but the bassist lacks confidence in her own abilities and is also playing in other songs for people in the class as well as 6 other songs and the school production so she's pretty tight for time.
If you're playing with the group just put someone on melody duty.

Also this entire endeavor sounds insane, granted how much of a struggle your team is having right now.

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Quote by Jet Penguin
If you're playing with the group just put someone on melody duty.

Also this entire endeavor sounds insane, granted how much of a struggle your team is having right now.

I don't have anyone that can do melody that's the thing.

I don't have any other choice, if I don't decide on songs or figure out what to do with them then I'll probably fail the class and then I'll fail year 12 and there goes everything.
I would think that if you don't have a singer you would stay away from any song that requires one. Make sense right? There are a lot of good instrumentals out there that will show off your playing skills whatever level you are at. Think simple, play simple. Look for songs that can be learned easily and your band will have a better chance of getting tight. As you say your time is limited. Depending on your playing skills I'm sure you can find some good guitar instrumentals. Since your grade depends on this performance don't just choose songs you want to play, choose songs you already know and can play really well with practice. You'll sound better, play better and display a more relaxed confidence. I suspect that's part of what you are being graded on also.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
May I suggest surf music. It isn't that hard and it's mostly instrumentals, and it's guitar centered music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW21rcHiVU0

But if there's a list to choose from, and there are no instrumentals on the list, somebody's got to play the melody. Otherwise it will sound like pointless riffing. Be more creative with the bassline, or maybe play a chord melody, and you can make a non-instrumental sound good with just guitar, bass and drums. You can always rearrange songs.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
^Yep. At least one person can play the melody, seeing as we know there's at least one guitar in the band.\

The melody is God.