Hi there.

I have a question for you guys - when it comes to adjusting the bridge on a Les Paul-type guitar, like on the picture here:

Les Paul Bridge

What would the 'right' height be? I tried searching a little on this, but couldn't really find anything.. What would you guys say??

THANKS!
simple as that.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Gibson isn't consistent in its manufacture, so you can't expect that two bridges adjusted to the same height will give you the same result in action height.
Gibson recommends 4/64 of an inch on the treble side and 6/64 of an inch on the bass side when measured at the 12th fret. (Go buy a scale if you need to)
But yeah, if you like it low, get it as low as you can without fret buzz. If you like it high, make it high. It's really up to you.

http://www.gibson.com/files/_gbme/GBME_Guide.pdf
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Last edited by ryanbwags at Jun 10, 2015,
Quote by dspellman
Gibson isn't consistent in its manufacture, so you can't expect that two bridges adjusted to the same height will give you the same result in action height.

Yep
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by dspellman

Neck set angle has a +- tolerance and the carved top (a possible measurement reference point if simply measuring bridge height) shape/profile can also vary.

It really doesn't matter who makes the guitar the reference for bridge adjustments are all based on measuring string height over some point on the fingerboard.
Moving on.....
If the neck is straight with no fret problems the bridge height can be whatever you want it to be. I like a 10's with low action but there are great players who like a high action. SRV comes mind. Jimmy Vaughn says SRV liked big thick strings and very high action. It's up to you.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
As already stated, the neck angles vary quite a lot so the bridges have to be adjusted accordingly. Just want to add that you'd want to adjust the tailpiece with the bridge, such as to not put too much tension on the bridge with a too high of a break angle. (One of the nicer options with a tailpiece instead of a through-body anchorment with a TOM-bridge... too high neck angle on one of those and you're screwed.)
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Last edited by HomerSGR at Jun 10, 2015,