So I'm planning to get a Strat soon. I've narrowed it down to 2 models, the Squier Deluxe and the MIM Fender (standard). What do you guys think is the better option? Supposedly the Squier has a really nice neck, but I'm hearing a lot of good things about the MIM as well.
Yamaha F310P "Bella"
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Goldtop "Chrysa"
Fender Standard Stratocaster "Michelle"
Fender Classic Series 70s Stratocaster "Nefertiti"

Marshall DSL15C
BIAS FX & AMP
Line 6 POD X3

Dunlop Stubby 3.0mm picks
D'Addario strings
If you're on a budget, get a used MIM. Neither guitar if bought new will hold their value - but new guitars have that "probably hasn't been messed with" appeal. And the truth is that after you get tired of the Squier - you'll want a Fender. I'm not knocking Squier - they serve a fine purpose on the market, but at the end of the day, the only reason why we ever consider buying them is because we really want a Fender.

Squier is making some very nice guitars these days that are on par with the Mexican Stratocasters. But, you know how it is. One has Squier on the headstock, the other has Fender. And that does mean something when it comes to value (not playability), even if we like to pretend it doesn't.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
i love my squier vm 70s. the classic vibes are even better ive heard.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Got a Fender Standard Strat last year. Really nice guitar. The ceramic pickups are quite nice, and distorts much nicer than the typical alnico-mag Strat pickups tend to do.

But as for the choice between these, go for the one that appeals the most to you. If having Fender on the headstock is preferrable, then it is.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by ThunderPunk
If you're on a budget, get a used MIM. Neither guitar if bought new will hold their value - but new guitars have that "probably hasn't been messed with" appeal.

I really couldn't care less about resale value - I choose any guitar I want to buy really carefully, with the intention of keeping it for a very long time. And besides, I like to mod them a lot, so it goes out the window anyway. What I want to know is how the Squier feels, plays, and sounds. I've played a MIM Strat before and it knocked my socks off.

Quote by HomerSGR
Got a Fender Standard Strat last year. Really nice guitar. The ceramic pickups are quite nice, and distorts much nicer than the typical alnico-mag Strat pickups tend to do.

How's the noise on them? Unbearable or a minor nuisance?
Yamaha F310P "Bella"

Marshall DSL15C
BIAS FX & AMP
Line 6 POD X3

D'Addario strings
Last edited by CostasNoir at Jun 10, 2015,
what exactly do you want out of your strat? classic vibe series squiers are pretty decent guitars and for many do the trick. personally i prefer the MIM strats. the classic vibes with maple fretboards have a gloss finish which i'm not found of. to slippery feeling. if you prefer rosewood then not as big of a difference however the MIMs seem to use somewhat better quality rosewood.

the ceramic pups in MIMs really aren't that bad. if you want that really clean chimey strat sound then yeah they aren't the best however if you play music that uses more than a little gain then the ceramics actually can sound really good.
Quote by CostasNoir

As with all pickups, that depends on where you play. I haven't A/B'd them with humbuckers under stage spotlights, but at home or at rehearsal I have more trouble with squealing microphonic Gibson-pickups than with these.

What about radius? The vintage radius (7.25 in) isn't something I'd find comfortable. So that's a factor I would pay particular attention to if I was buying another Strat because you can't change it.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Jun 10, 2015,
Quote by monwobobbo
what exactly do you want out of your strat? classic vibe series squiers are pretty decent guitars and for many do the trick. personally i prefer the MIM strats. the classic vibes with maple fretboards have a gloss finish which i'm not found of. to slippery feeling. if you prefer rosewood then not as big of a difference however the MIMs seem to use somewhat better quality rosewood.

the ceramic pups in MIMs really aren't that bad. if you want that really clean chimey strat sound then yeah they aren't the best however if you play music that uses more than a little gain then the ceramics actually can sound really good.

I basically want to turn it into a shred machine, which it kind of is already, it's just the pickups the will likely be changed. As I said, I'm no stranger to the MIMs' very good quality. I heard that the Squier Deluxe has a very nice neck, so I thought I'd ask here, and see if anyone knows.

Quote by KenG
What about radius? The vintage radius (7.25 in) isn't something I'd find comfortable. So that's a factor I would pay particular attention to if I was buying another Strat because you can't change it.

The ones I mentioned have a 9.5" radius, which feels quite good in my hand. Or, at least, I can't notice a difference from my LP.

Quote by HomerSGR
As with all pickups, that depends on where you play. I haven't A/B'd them with humbuckers under stage spotlights, but at home or at rehearsal I have more trouble with squealing microphonic Gibson-pickups than with these.

So I might be able to get away without changing those, I think. I don't use crazy amounts of gain, either - gain at 6 on the amp with nothing in front.
Yamaha F310P "Bella"

Marshall DSL15C
BIAS FX & AMP
Line 6 POD X3

D'Addario strings
Last edited by CostasNoir at Jun 11, 2015,
Quote by CostasNoir
I basically want to turn it into a shred machine, which it kind of is already, it's just the pickups the will likely be changed. As I said, I'm no stranger to the MIMs' very good quality. I heard that the Squier Deluxe has a very nice neck, so I thought I'd ask here, and see if anyone knows.

The ones I mentioned have a 9.5" radius, which feels quite good in my hand. Or, at least, I can't notice a difference from my LP.

So I might be able to get away without changing those, I think. I don't use crazy amounts of gain, either - gain at 6 on the amp with nothing in front.

are we talking yngwie shred or something else? honestly fender's don't make the best "shred machine". i'd think a guitar with a flatter fretboard radius would be better. oh and 6 for gain is actually a fair amount. personally i'd think about getting an overdrive to goose the front end . works really well for me.
Quote by monwobobbo
are we talking yngwie shred or something else? honestly fender's don't make the best "shred machine". i'd think a guitar with a flatter fretboard radius would be better. oh and 6 for gain is actually a fair amount. personally i'd think about getting an overdrive to goose the front end . works really well for me.

Yeah, Yngwie style (part of my Holy Trinity of guitarists along with Slash and Gary Moore BTW). I think I will be okay with the radius, as I said. Can't tell a difference between my LP (12") and a Strat (9.5").
Yamaha F310P "Bella"

Marshall DSL15C
BIAS FX & AMP
Line 6 POD X3

D'Addario strings
Quote by KenG

Ehhh... How do you think vintage Strats got their reputation? Luthiers typically sand the whole fretboard flat and re-radii the fretboard during refrets, thus resulting in flatter and flatter fretboards the more the guitars were played.

Unless we're talking mega-valuable vintage instrument, you can bet the radii is changed during refrets.

Last edited by HomerSGR at Jun 11, 2015,
Quote by CostasNoir
Yeah, Yngwie style (part of my Holy Trinity of guitarists along with Slash and Gary Moore BTW). I think I will be okay with the radius, as I said. Can't tell a difference between my LP (12") and a Strat (9.5").

ok. i'm a huge fan of yngwie and especially gary moore.
Quote by monwobobbo

Gotta agree, love my strat but would pick up my Ibanez over it for shreddy stuff all the time.
One more thing I'd like to ask, what strings do you guys use or recommend for a Strat? I currently use D'Addario 11s on my LP tuned to Eb, and I was thinking to use 10 on the Strat, to accommodate the longer scale. Also, for replacement pickups, Dimarzio HS3 or Fender Hot Noiseless?
Yamaha F310P "Bella"

Marshall DSL15C
BIAS FX & AMP
Line 6 POD X3

D'Addario strings
radii is a pretty big deal IMO. also most MIM's only have 21 frets, and i can work around it, but if you are playing shred, i would agree that you want a flatter fretboard and probably more than 21 frets. it your choice though.

FWIW i have owned over 12 MIM strats/teles over the years. i have two strats ATM, a MIM '96 white on maple, and i just picked up a FSR that is alright. i like the mid/mid late'90's MIM's more than the newer ones. as far as other fenders go, i have three MIA teles. a USA STD. a USA Tele + Series II, and a USA '52 re-issue. i am more of a tele junkie now. and i can justify spending more on a tele because i play them more.

play some if you can. i am runing two for twelve so far, there are definitely lemons and roses.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Are you sure a Strat fits your needs as a player?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz

i think you are talking to the OP, but i will answer anyway

i love my '96 MIM and my FSR is growing on me even more. honestly though i haven't tried too many strat alternatives. i do prefer fender to G&L though as far as my experience goes. i know there are a lot of G&L fans out there though.

almost sound like op wants a charvel.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by dannyalcatraz

Well, I wouldn't be posting about buying a Strat, now would I? But in all seriousness, yes. Strats are great for what I want to play.
Yamaha F310P "Bella"

Marshall DSL15C
BIAS FX & AMP
Line 6 POD X3

D'Addario strings
Yeah, I trashed, I was talking to the OP...

While I am fully aware of the iconic shredders who use Fender Strats, there are reasons why many of the generations of shredders who followed the pioneers opted for Stratclones from Kramer, Jackson, Charvel, and others.

Now, personally, I'm not a big fan of the current iterations of those 3 brands' more affordable options- too many complaints about quality, IMHO. But there are still plenty of Stratclones out there that have hotter pickups, flatter radii, etc., and also deliver quality.

For example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-2008-GODIN-VELOCITY-ELECTRIC-GUITAR-NO-CASE-/161697236994?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a5e80802

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Godin-Velocity-Natural-Burst-Flame-HG-with-Hardshell-Case-/121671249878?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c542befd6

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Godin-Freeway-SA-Electric-Guitar-and-Godin-Guitar-Case-/141685152517?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20fd17db05

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carvin-DC600-Swamp-Ash-body-Sapphire-blue-finish-/301659555291?ul_ref=http%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F0%2Fe11021.m43.l3160%2F7%3Feuid%3D000e36f31d1d4253abbbd94b3bc65a8c%26loc%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fcgi.ebay.com%252Fws%252FeBayISAPI.dll%253FViewItem%2526item%253D301659555291%26exe%3D11896%26ext%3D30527%26sojTags%3Dexe%3Dexe%2Cext%3Dext%26srcrot%3De11021.m43.l3160%26rvr_id%3D0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-L-Tribute-Comanche-Guitar-in-Transparent-Blue-Maple-Leo-Fender-Guitar-New-/271685310432?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f41b4d7e0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-L-Tribute-Commanche-Electric-Guitar-Gloss-Black-rosewood-Fretboard-/221461242198?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33901e6156
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 12, 2015,
Quote by CostasNoir
So I'm planning to get a Strat soon. I've narrowed it down to 2 models, the Squier Deluxe and the MIM Fender (standard). What do you guys think is the better option? Supposedly the Squier has a really nice neck, but I'm hearing a lot of good things about the MIM as well.

"really nice neck" is completely subjective. If you go on MYLESPAUL (dot com) the consensus there will be that huge fat necks are the bomb. I can't stand 'em. Never rely on internet consensus for that kind of personal evaluation. I have huge XXL glove-size hands, but much prefer thinner wider flatter neck profiles; a baseball bat '50's neck with low skinny frets is definitely not MY cup of tea, but may be PERFECT for you.
Quote by CostasNoir

If you're not loading up a strat with seriously overwound single coils, you're generally not going to find noise an issue worth noting. Sixty years of rock history would suggest that it's not as big a deal as some newbs fear.
Quote by dspellman
If you're not loading up a strat with seriously overwound single coils, you're generally not going to find noise an issue worth noting. Sixty years of rock history would suggest that it's not as big a deal as some newbs fear.

Makes sense. Hendrix played at ridiculous volume levels and didn't have much trouble with noise.
Yamaha F310P "Bella"

Marshall DSL15C
BIAS FX & AMP
Line 6 POD X3

D'Addario strings
Quote by CostasNoir
Makes sense. Hendrix played at ridiculous volume levels and didn't have much trouble with noise.

well he did get some noise for sure. you will get some with higher gain but as mentioned not that big of a deal. turn the volume on guitar down between songs if there is a long pause.
I've had a squier vintage modified (it was a tele though) and I liked it a lot. The classic vibe series is even better. But I sold it and bought a Fender mexican standard strat plustop. What I really like about it is the neck. Instead of a glossy back, it has a satin finish which feels very nice. It doesn't become so 'sticky'. The standards have that same neck.
On a side note, anyone know the output of the Fender Hot Noiseless set (in mV)? Can't find it anywhere.
Yamaha F310P "Bella"

Marshall DSL15C
BIAS FX & AMP
Line 6 POD X3

D'Addario strings
Quote by CostasNoir
On a side note, anyone know the output of the Fender Hot Noiseless set (in mV)? Can't find it anywhere.

couldn't find a spec from official source however a few guys were saying they are in the 10K range.
Quote by monwobobbo
couldn't find a spec from official source however a few guys were saying they are in the 10K range.

I think that's DC resistance. If I remember my physics, Resistance=Voltage/Amperage.
Yamaha F310P "Bella"

Marshall DSL15C
BIAS FX & AMP
Line 6 POD X3

D'Addario strings
I can't think of any pickup manufacturer or dealer that describes a pickup's output in mV.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter
I can't think of any pickup manufacturer or dealer that describes a pickup's output in mV.

Dimarzio does. But how come? I mean, a guitar's signal it's an electrical current. It is characterized by either its amperage or the voltage that created it.
Yamaha F310P "Bella"

Marshall DSL15C
BIAS FX & AMP
Line 6 POD X3

D'Addario strings
Much depends on who actually made it and what mood he was in at the time it was built when it comes to countries like Korea, mexico, and indonesia.

A MIJ fender/squire is usually a level above any country other than USA and sometimes equal to it.
Personally I'd go with the Mexican Fender all the ones I've ever played were quite nice. A used MIM is a great affordable platform for upgrades!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge