Hi folks, how are you doing?

I have an eletro-accoustic guitar and I really want to make good ambient swells.
My question is: Is the BEHRINGER X V-AMP LX1-X enough to make decent ambient swells? Should I buy it?

The BEHRINGER X V-AMP LX1-X has an expression pedal (which can behave as a volume pedal), delay, reverb, etc etc. It has all the required stuff to make good guitar swells, correct?

(I don't know if it is relevant but at the moment I only own a RC1-LoopStation).

Thanks,
Hug,
MistY
Not sure if it's QUITE what your looking for, but you really ought to look at the Earthquake Afterneath. Seriously.... worth your time if you want ambiance! You get that and a EHX Freeze, and expression pedal and a sweet Wah Wah and you can make noise that even Radiohead wont recognize.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JckOCZFDyM
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
For swells all you need are reverb and/or delay (both aren't needed, and when used together, the mix will change from person to person) and some sort of way to control the level of attack. Most people use volume pedals. Some use the volume knob on the guitar itself. Some use attack filters like the Boss Slow Gear, but that's kinda rare and expensive.

Is your current set up run straight into the house PA, or with an amplifier? The Behringer will be fine if you want an all in one solution on the cheap, but know that Behringer is know for being just that....cheap. Do you have a budget?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Personally, I think you should have some sort of delay, a reverb, and a volume pedal to really nail those ambient swells. The big thing that I've found is to set the volume low for your pick attack, and then raise the volume smoothly. The big thing about swells (as I'm sure you know) is to hide that pick attack, and to have a smooth increase in volume (usually).

Depending on your budget, I think you would be better off going for individual pedals. TC Electronic makes some great "mini" pedals for cheap. The Flashback delay and Hall of Fame/HoF reverb come to mind. The Flashback mini sells for about $80 used, and the HoF mini sells for about $80 too.

https://reverb.com/marketplace?condition=used&query=flashback+delay+mini
https://reverb.com/marketplace?condition=used&query=hall+of+fame+mini

They use use a "Toneprint" system, which means that you have nearly endless possibilities with artist toneprints/presets, and there is also a toneprint editor.

However, some people here don't like the build quality of the pedals (the switches are directly connected to the circuit board) and tend to avoid them. I have the Ditto looper, Hall of Fame, and Corona chorus pedal, and none have broken on me yet.

For a volume pedal, I would recommend looking for a used Boss FV-500H pedal (I have one. Its built very sturdy, and is rugged, and I got mind for about $90 used) or an Ernie Ball VP Jr. I don't have first hand experience with one, but many many guitarists use one.

I personally think that would be a good place to start, and would be a better investment than the V-amp, even though all together they might be three times over your budget.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Hummm, what about the Line 6 Floor Pod, do you think it will allow me to make good ambient swells?
Like I said, do you have a budget?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Not sure what the prices are like in your country, but on the cheap, grab a Ibanez DE-7 and a Digitech Digiverb. Both are cheap, and both are great for the price, imo.

Alternatively, you can raise your budget a bit and buy a used Boss RV-3 or EarthQuaker Devices Dispatch Master.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Last edited by LaidBack at Jun 10, 2015,
All you need is a reverb pedal with a long decay capability (15+ seconds is great) and a delay helps as well. I really enjoy the swells I can get with my TC Elec Hall of Fame and Flashback delay. I usually use the "mod" setting on the Flashback with the Hall of Fame set to "Church" mode. The modulation of the Flashback adds a little chimeyness and shimmer to the trailoff of sound.

I use my guitar's volume knob and hammer on/pull off the notes I want, or turn the volume all the way off, strum a chord, and then ease in with the volume knob. It can be a difficult technique, but it's possible.

A volume pedal would make it much easier and would open up your playing possibilities. There's only so much you can play, complexity-wise, when you're operating your guitar's volume knob at the same time.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
For swells I like to use a bit of dirt before my volume pedal and then my delays and reverbs after, that way I get the full signal to the OD pedal but cut the attack with the volume pedal so I main get the sustain and a bit of washyness from the dirt to thicken the swell up. Another thing I like to do is to have two delays running slightly offset with each other giving the swell a bit of warble in the sound.