Hello guys!

I'm new here and I would like to ask your opinion about what guitar should I buy next.

I play guitar for 7 years now, and I only have an Ibanez RG370DX (Basswood body and MapleBound Wizard II on the neck, fingerboard with Rosewood), a Behringer V-Amp 3 and an Orange CrushPix 20W.

I'm planning on buying some new guitar. I play things like Steve Vai, Petrucci and Iron Maiden, but also some alternative rock and classic rock.
I dont usually use clean tone.

I was thinking on 3 guitars:
-Gibson Firebird 2015
-Gibson Explorer 120 (or other)
-Some Jackson guitar.

Another option would be buying one of these guitars and changing the pickup (DiMarzio (to get closer to the soloists)or maybe an 81-EMG (to be close to iron maiden)).

What do you guys suggest me? Any other models that would suit me well?
And what about the pickups idea? Which DiMarzio model do you know/recommend?

I heard firebird is more for rhythm sound, so maybe that would be throwing away money.
Explorer seems better. Jackson, on the other hand, seems to me a "too much metal" type of guitar.
Therefore, the pickup change is a good option. Maybe change the pickup from my ibanez.
I want a versitile option, that could grant me sound from steve vai to some low gain/classical. Not sure if that's even possible, haha.

Thank you!

PS: I was thinking on spending 2k dollars. But I would also like to hear cheaper (or more expensive) options!
PS2: I'm going to live in NY for 1 year and I wont bring my Ibanez. I was thinking on buying this gear while i'm there. Maybe buy the guitar, modify its pickup and then, when i'm back home, "de-modify" it and put the bought pickup on my Ibanez... Not sure if this will work out, though.
You should direct most of your budget to a decent amp considering what you have now. It would be a bigger improvement.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
A better amp will help you so much more than new pickups (or a new guitar for that matter)
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
I have 1 amp and 20+ guitars...and I think you need a new amp.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Damn... I just bought that Orange!
Here everything is so expensive! I'll try to sell it and buy something else then.
But actually... I don't play outside my bedroom, I wouldn't use anything more than 15/20W

Anyway.. Despite of the Amp... About the gear, what would you recommend? I still have that budget to spend on pickup/guitar
Last edited by pieri175 at Jun 10, 2015,
I wouldn't recommend anything aside from an amp. Your amps are the weakest thing in your rig right now.

Aside from that "some jackson guitar" isn't really narrowing down anything enough for us to help you and you're comparing 3 very different guitars and expecting an answer like 1 will be better. There isn't an answer like that, those guitars are different and you need to try them out to figure out what you like and which one you prefer.

A firebird is neckthrough construction and most of them have mini-humbuckers.

An explorer has 2 hot humbuckers, bigger body and a different neck profile.

"jackson guitars" have a lot of different models so I won't even bother listing specs for that

If somebody else wants to recommend you a pickup they can but any improvement to your sound is going to be an amp at this point. New pups aren't going to make your Orange practice amp sound much better either.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I don't really know the Jackson models, that's why I asked for suggestions, given my play style.
Again, given my play style, I asked opinions on which gibson model would suit me better. I don't know them very well and I don't have the opportunity to try a Firebird.

The Pickups wouldn't make my sound better? I heard people playing on the PC, with nothing but the pc speaker as "cabinet", that changing the pickup greatly improved the sound...
Pickups are the final tweak to your tone. The final dash of salt or pepper at the table when you eat. The heavy seasoning is done in the k itch en by your amp and pedals.

You don't need to get anything too powerful or pricey- shop with your ears. Pick out a couple of songs you like from those artists, and keep them in your head as you twiddle around in the stores.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 10, 2015,
I'm might be a big noob then, because I bought this Amp thinking on that. I didn't have money and I heard that playing low-volume with high-Watts amp is not good for the sound..
Can you tell me an example of the kind of amp you are talking about?
Quote by pieri175
I'm might be a big noob then, because I bought this Amp thinking on that. I didn't have money and I heard that playing low-volume with high-Watts amp is not good for the sound..
Can you tell me an example of the kind of amp you are talking about?

That isn't really true at all. It might not sound as good as it can at lower volumes but that doesn't mean it will sound bad and it really doesn't mean a smaller amp will sound better either.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Pickups are the final tweak to your tone. The final dash of salt or pepper at the table when you eat. The heavy seasoning is done in the ******* by your amp and pedals.

You don't need to get anything too powerful or pricey- shop with your ears. Pick out a couple of songs you like from those artists, and keep them in your head as you twiddle around in the stores.

+1

Quote by pieri175
I don't really know the Jackson models, that's why I asked for suggestions, given my play style.
Again, given my play style, I asked opinions on which gibson model would suit me better. I don't know them very well and I don't have the opportunity to try a Firebird.

The Pickups wouldn't make my sound better? I heard people playing on the PC, with nothing but the pc speaker as "cabinet", that changing the pickup greatly improved the sound...

Yeah but what do you want out of a guitar? All we know is you like heavier music and shreddy kind of lead players.

21 frets? 22? 24?

Do you like thin or thicker necks?

do you have a preference in shape?

do you have a preference in layout( 2 humbucker or 2SC1HB etc...)

do you need a tremolo?

do you care if you buy new or used?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by dannyalcatraz

Sounds like you didn't follow your own advice all that well.
I love guitars. I love pedals. Amps are...a necessary evil.

But even I know I need at least one more because the one I have- good as it is- is ill suited to generating certain tones I seek to emulate. It's just that...well...guitars and pedals affect me like squirrels affect a golden retriever.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
It's just that...well...guitars and pedals affect me like squirrels affect a golden retriever.

That goes for all of us. Which is why I'm always surprised that the answer to the question "Which guitar should I get?" tends to be "get a new amp."
<sigh> I shouldn't let myself get dragged into this....

I'm pretty much the same as Danny, two amps, one of which very rarely gets switched on, and 11 electric guitars (er, I think), plus nine acoustics.

However, it took me about 30 years, before the information superhighway, to get to grips with electric guitars. This was due to my failure to appreciate the overwhelming importance of the amp and pickups, and even then it was an interest in vintage lapsteel pickups that got me over the line, so to speak. So now my philosophy is:

1) Find an amp that you like

2) Go down to the local hock shop and find a guitar-shaped piece of wood that takes your fancy.

3) Stick pickups in it that work well with your amp.

Optional 4) Buy an other amp that you like even better with your pickups.

I have to admit I had a lapse a few years ago and bought a '95 LP Special. It sounds pretty good, but I don't play it much because it is too heavy.

Someone with a bit more mental energy that me should construct a decision tree for buying electric guitar gear. It isn't a linear process, it is full of feedback loops.
Last edited by Tony Done at Jun 10, 2015,
Thank you all for the answers!
I think I understood better now.

I am a guitar enthusiast, and i'm only starting to have money now. I would love to have a lot of different guitars, with a lot of different shapes and sounds and brands.
That might be the main reason that I want to buy a new guitar, REGARDLESS of the amp thing. I will definitely seek a new amp, though.

Quote by Tony Done

2) Go down to the local hock shop and find a guitar-shaped piece of wood that takes your fancy.

3) Stick pickups in it that work well with your amp.

That is what I was thinking. But I would like to vary a bit, I already have a "traditional" ibanez-shape guitar. I was thinking on something different, that would also add a different sound to my gear. That's why I though about some Gibson. I don't know much about guitars, that's why im asking for suggestions.

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

21 frets? 22? 24?

Do you like thin or thicker necks?

do you have a preference in shape?

do you have a preference in layout( 2 humbucker or 2SC1HB etc...)

do you need a tremolo?

do you care if you buy new or used?

As a "solo" player, I search for 22/24 frets, with thin neck. I'm not looking for a Strato, Flying V or SG models, nor those fre*** crazy body shapes (like Dean Warlock). That points towards firebird, explorer, or some other simple-shaped bodies.
I don't want a floyd, since my ibanez already has one (and it drives me crazy... I would love to play some drop D or Eb...).
I rather get a new one, but I wouldnt mind an used (as long as it is in good shape, of course).

What about buying a good guitar (Gibson, for instance), change it pickups while Im at NYC, and then, when i'm back, put the originals there and the new ones on my Ibanez?

Edit: doesn't the V-Amp help on overcoming the "bad" amp?
Last edited by pieri175 at Jun 10, 2015,
I also recommend getting a new amp. For bedroom use you should get a low wattage tube combo. Something like a Blackstar HT 5 or a small Marshall.

You could even get something like an Orange Micro Terror head and a 1x12 cab.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 10, 2015,
Quote by dannyalcatraz

Thank you danny!
I almost bought a Tiny Terror, but it was too expensive. I'll start saving for one.

Never heard of any of those guitars. Are those "made to" exchange the pickup or something? Or the pickups are already good?
Do you have one Diamond? Which one?
Both companies do mostly mass-produced guitars.

Fernandes is a Japanese maker that caters to the harder genres, much like Schecter, BC Rich, Dean, and so forth, but not as widely known. I have a couple of their Ravelles, both Korean-made. I like the Dragonfly, and sorta dig the Vertigo/Vulcan body as well. Besides their own pickups, they tend towards Seymour Duncans and EMGs.

DBZ is a company founded by Dean Zelinsky, the same guy behind Dean and Dean Zelinsky Private Label (he had a dispute with his DBZ cofounders and left to found DZPL). They cater to the heavy genres as well. I don't own one, but have been seriously looking at the Imperial since they were introduced. I kinda like the Maverick (Teleclone) and Halefire (faux Firebird) as well. While I like the looks of pointy guitars, I don't find them comfy, or I'd be all over their Cavallo, too. They favor Seymour Duncans.

Both make really good-looking guitar!
What about the sound of your Ravelle? Do you have the sustein pickup? Heard it is awesome, but kinda specific.!
I'll do some research on those pickups. Heard of them already, but i'll search deeper.
Between, for example, Gibson Firebird and Diamond Hailfire, weighting sound, quality, price, etc., what would you say?
I'm kind of afraid to buy "not traditional guitars (gibson, fender, ibanez, etc)"... How stupid is this?
I love both of my Ravelles!

My first one, I got new- a birthday present I went in halfsies on- and it does have the Sustainer. I do like it, but I'm actually more of a rhythm player than a lead guy, so its fullest potential is kinda wasted on me.

The other is a used Goldtop limited edition with the tried & true Seymour Duncan JB/'59 pairing of humbuckers- same as in the SHIN limited edition Fernandes guitars. Its a classic hard rock combo.

As for your fear about buying a lesser-known brand, well..it isn't entirely unjustified. There ARE some shady builders out there.

But it isn't like the big guys don't have issues, either! Gibson is notorious for going through periods were it seems as if their quality control guys spend a little too much time at Happy Hour.

What you do is research the companies. Look at & listen to reviews. If you can, try them out.

That said, some fellow UGers might say I'm a little biased- I have a lot of guitars...almost all of them from brands that most people wouldn't recognize. I've also been very lucky, in that despite buying most of them blind, I haven't had any real problems. But I mostly buy from builders & retailers with good return policies or reputable sellers on sites like eBay and Reverb.

Quote by dannyalcatraz

:goflclap: danny, you beat me to the punch.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Danny, what about the pickups of Fernandes? For my play style, which one would you recommend? Duncan or EMG? Isn't the sustain one not so versatile, limiting its usage?
Revelle sure is nice! Do they keep that "super saving" price for a long time?
The JD/'59 is very flexible- covers a lot of rock & roll tones.

EMGs are not something I particularly care for, personally, but the right set in the right hands can be amazing. Most people think of them being used in high-gain metal, but jazz guys and David Gilmour's excellent use of them is also well documented.

The Sustainer pickup is nifty, but they're not as tonally flexible as some others. Still, they're good for harder rock, and I'm actually thinking about designing a "surf" guitar with a Sustainer in it...