I mostly play my guitars in D A E A C# E however in the past 2 days I have broken the d string (or in this case the e string, the 3rd one between the two A's) on two different guitars, I didn't think going down a step made could make it so much easier to break! -_- I am not playing hard either. Can anyone with experience in this kinda stuff recommend some better gauges that would work well with the tuning I use?
I won't slave for beggars pay, likewise gold and jewels. But I would slave to learn the way, to sink your ship of fools.
It doesn't. You may have a burr, the strings may be old. They may be defective.

But the breaks are not the result of downtuning, and standard sets should be just fine.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Awesome thats all I needed to know. the strings may have been pretty old I will just try to keep up on buying new strings. Thank you!
I won't slave for beggars pay, likewise gold and jewels. But I would slave to learn the way, to sink your ship of fools.
Keep your eyes open- if you keep breaking the same strings- especially in the same spot- you probably have a burr.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Keep your eyes open- if you keep breaking the same strings- especially in the same spot- you probably have a burr.

Ok I will keep my eye on it, it happened on two separate guitars though. My guess is the strings were just old. If it is a burr what can I do about it?
Burrs you file & polish out. Its a DIY job if you have the skills & tools. I take mine to a tech.

As for it being 2 different guitars...that happens. My first 2 electrics each had a burr. One on the B, one on the high E.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 10, 2015,
I see! Well thank you for all the info I really appreciate it!