Hey UG, it's the dumb question guy again...
I'm sitting here with 2 9V batteries from my pedals (Korg tuner and a cheap Vox wah that I don't know the model of.) Since they both stopped working I figured they must be dead. But when I tested them with a multimeter they both appeared to be just fine. Could it be something with my pedals instead?
"Most people work just hard enough not to get fired and get paid just enough not to quit." - George Carlin
Update: took a few other (supposedly dead) batteries from around the house and from my sister's bass (started humming which cleared up when she changed the battery). According to my multimeter, they all work. The hell?
"Most people work just hard enough not to get fired and get paid just enough not to quit." - George Carlin
Multimeters don't always do a good job of testing batteries, especially if you're just putting the voltage probes on the terminals. There's basically zero current flowing when you do that, so the voltage might seem ok but the battery will not be able to supply enough power when it's in an actual device.
Quote by Roc8995
Multimeters don't always do a good job of testing batteries, especially if you're just putting the voltage probes on the terminals. There's basically zero current flowing when you do that, so the voltage might seem ok but the battery will not be able to supply enough power when it's in an actual device.

^this
don't normaly measure voltage, on some multimeters there's a mode for battery's.
if there isn't you simply can't check the battery with that meter
Plug your pedals into the wall and save yourself some grief. Here is a little experiment with a multimeter. Touch your finger to one terminal grab a lead and touch the other lead to the other terminal. It will read the same as if you have each lead on a terminal.
Last edited by tysona23 at Jun 10, 2015,
Mine does have a mode for 1.5V and 9V batteries. The meter points all the way to the right each time but I guess that doesn't mean it's full enough to power my pedal?