I actually recieved two guitars from an old neighbour and I am wondering if it is possible to repair them/to get them in a better condition.

They both look like they're all there, and if the frets are in acceptable condition (or at least there's enough of them to level and dress) there's probably relatively little that needs doing. Tuners, nuts, bridges and tailpieces (in rough order of the likelihood/ease of being able to replace them, from easiest to hardest) could all need replacing, though hopefully it'll only be a couple of those.

Does the one on the right have any sort of truss rod adjustment? I doubt it's old enough to lack a truss rod altogether, unless it was very cheap, but I'd be loathe to put strings on an old neck without knowing. Anyway, while the state of the hardware is dubious, neither looks like it lacks anything vital, so I think there's a reasonable chance you can get at least one of them playing. And, if you can, those things have major mojo
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
It would be hard to say if the guitar is completely repairable or not without being able to see it in person and test some things out.

What I will say though is the guitar on the right looks to be in a bit worse condition. It's really dirty/grimy and the frets seem to be rusted to shit (or really friggin dirty). Maybe the neck is adjustable from the heel but I'm guessing the guitar on the right might not have a truss rod since I don't see a truss rod cover. So if the neck is bowed in any way, you might not be able to fix that up without doing something drastic. I would test out the electronics too. Make note of how it's wired (maybe draw a diagram) so if you need to rewire the thing, you know where everything goes.

But yeah, those guitars are gonna need some serious loving I would think. If you aren't planning on doing the work yourself IMO the price to fix them up wouldn't be worth it.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Tuners, nuts, bridges and tailpieces (in rough order of the likelihood/ease of being able to replace them, from easiest to hardest) could all need replacing, though hopefully it'll only be a couple of those.

I'd replace those anyway. Especially with how knackered the things look
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Jun 10, 2015,
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I'd replace those anyway. Especially with how knackered the things look

As such, totally, but I'm not certain how easy it'd be to find a replacement for either bridge or tailpiece.

That being said, I've practically no experience of these things, so you've a far better chance of being right about just about anything than I have
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by K33nbl4d3
As such, totally, but I'm not certain how easy it'd be to find a replacement for either bridge or tailpiece.

That being said, I've practically no experience of these things, so you've a far better chance of being right about just about anything than I have

The guitar on the left has a bridge that kind of looks like the Jazzmaster tremolo. I'd recon if you wanted to replace or upgrade the bridge with a similar one then that could be a good place to look.

The one on the right I can't tell what that trem is. Might be a Burns or some weird Bigsby something.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Jun 10, 2015,
Personally, I wouldn't try to restore them unless I knew they had some sort of value when fixed up. Hot-rodding them on the other hand could be a great deal of fun, and I would totally do that. Yank all the hardware, fill the holes, drill new holes for mounting new hardware. Nice fresh coat of paint on both guitars. Toss the fugly pickguards, cut some custom shaped guards - maybe one made out of steel for the black guitar. But that's just me.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Hmmm...pretty rough looking but might be worth looking into. Hard to say without having them in my hands.

The black one has what loos like the old 60's DeArmond humbuckers like the one in my Harmony. They sounded pretty good, if you don't fix the guitar, keep those. I'd probably look into fixing it. That whammy bar setup looks a lot like the one on an old Kingston I have sitting around that I need to fix sometime.

The other guitar is pretty typical of entry level guitars made by Teisco and Kingston in the 60's and early 70's. I can't tell what the pickups are, hard to say without plugging them into something to see what they sound like. Some were pretty cool sounding. The guitar itself was probably a bargain type sold in places like Wards or Sears. Teisco made zillions and put anybody's name on them, sometimes in the form of a stick on metal tag like Kingston used. I've seen them with a dozen name tags, all Teisco guitars, usually pretty cheap and made in Japan, mid 60's to mid 70's. The bound fretboard is a plus, that means it's not a bottom of the barrel model...the marks on the fretboard say someone played it quite a bit...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Last edited by Paleo Pete at Jun 11, 2015,