So this is what I wanted:

Cocobolo fretboard, walnut neck, sides, and back, and redwood top.

I wanted to get this fretless, question is, how would cocobolo hold up as a fretboard, how heavy are these woods, and what type of sound might it give off? Want a cutaway Jumbo if i could.

Ty
the person to ask your questions of would be the luthier you're planning to work with. they probably have experience with the woods, including weight and tone, and some may not be willing to do certain things because they may not work.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
6000 lol, i can buy the materials for about $500.00 found a luthier to put it together for same cost, plus his materials, about $1,800.00

My luth said he has no idea what it will sound like, I know cocobolo is rosewood, so it should be bright, idk.
Quote by pks330
6000 lol, i can buy the materials for about $500.00 found a luthier to put it together for same cost, plus his materials, about $1,800.00

My luth said he has no idea what it will sound like, I know cocobolo is rosewood, so it should be bright, idk.

Lol. No.

1: Cocobolo is not Rosewood. If it were, it'd be called Rosewood, not cocobolo. (to clarify, yes, I know that Cocobolo is a kind of rosewood, belonging to the same genus, but there's a reason that it is called something different, and used differently than other rosewoods by guitar makers. It sounds different. It's quite soft. NOT a particularly bright sound.)

2: You are NOT getting good walnut and redwood and cocobolo for $500.

3: The only way you're getting this guitar made for less than $2000 is if you're getting it made by an amateur luthier who's probably not going to do a good job. That would explain why your luthier "has no idea what it will sound like". He's not an experienced luthier. An experienced luthier would have a very good idea what a walnut and redwood guitar would sound like. Those aren't uncommon woods.

Seriously, just try out some production model guitars and buy one. You don't know what you're looking for, and are going to get screwed if you actually think you can get what you think you want for $1800, all in.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Last edited by the_bi99man at Jun 10, 2015,
You guitar buying philosophy is different than mine. For $1600, I would be looking for something I liked off-the-shelf, but each to has own. - You might end up with a bargain.

I've tried a few walnut guitars, and the tone hasn't suited me, too warm and mid-rangy. I've also seen it argued against as a neck material on stability grounds, but that seems to be a minority view, and mine works fine.

Redwood is a soft top wood favoured by fingerpickers, and I have seen rave reviews of it in combination to walnut, but I'm not so sure. I'm a fingerpicker, and I would likely go redwood and mahogany. If I was a flatpicker, I wouldn't contemplate redwood.

Cocabolo is nowhere near as hard as ebony and rosewood, and it is softer than maple. I wouldn't use it on an acoustic, but it may be fine of an electric if the player has a gentle fretting tough.

EDIT Another source indicated that cocobolo is harder than EIR, so it may vary between samples.
Last edited by Tony Done at Jun 10, 2015,
Go to Carvin guitars. They have tons of options and the guitars will be great!!!! They might not have the options you want, but you can call them and ask for the best guitar posible to match your taste!
Quote by marianoarnaiz
Go to Carvin guitars. They have tons of options and the guitars will be great!!!! They might not have the options you want, but you can call them and ask for the best guitar posible to match your taste!
Listen, Carvin doesn't even sell acoustic guitars anymore. They had in IMPORT line which was named "Cobalt". It has been closed out long ago.

The only Carvins even remotely acoustic, are the AC-175, 275, and 375, (IIRC those are the numbers), which are slim body, "plug me in and play me", acoustic electrics.

Carvin's wood options, are more aimed toward aesthetic considerations on their custom built electrics.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jun 10, 2015,
my luthier is actually quite old and been in business for over 40 years. Because you over pay, i should? My neck is $119.00, the back and side sets are $247.00 and the fret board is $100.00, lastly I haven't priced a top. However I'd try to stay around $250.00 on the top, a little over $500 yes, but it will be what I want. As for sound of cocobolo, I've played it, and I've heard bright. Maybe it's different depending. I want it not only to be good sounding but aesthetically pleasing. I will go fretless, and probably get an extra fretboard just incase.
I own production lines, and sure I enjoy them, but now I want something made for me. No inlays, no frets, gonna go with bone nut and saddle, idk about the bridge or tuners yet, but I'm hopeful it turns out well.
A fret less acoustic is different. Wouldn't that make it very pitchy? Hard to get a consistent good sound out of it?
Like I wrote, you might get a bargain. It's just that I got the impression that you were putting form before function.

Have you tried any of his guitars to see whether you like them? One of the issues I have with custom guitars in general is you don't know what you are getting until is arrives and you have played it for a week or two. I'm a bit extreme in this view, I prefer old used to new so that I really know what I'm getting.
Quote by pks330
....[ ]....? Want a cutaway Jumbo if i could.

Ty
If you already, (as you're claiming), are in touch with the builder, then what you can get as a body shape, is what he has in the way of, or is willing to make, jigs for his bender.

Telling us about that seems pretty pointless.

You are aware with a fretted finger board, the strings DON'T contact the fret board when played. It seems an unfretted board would be an intonation nightmare. At which point, I'd probably take up the violin. (You can make more noise without an amplifier).

If you want to know wood weights, just google something like "comparative wood density, or weight, or weight per cubic ft., then compare it with the average weights of guitars made from some of the reference materials.

There's a very distinct reason rosewood is used for fingerboards, and ebony is generally regarded as a step up. Ebony is about as hard as stainless steel. So, is rock maple, but it turns black, and looks like crap, after the urethane wears off though.

I'd like to take a moment to thank you for stopping by to brag and talk down to us. I know it's a favor I'll never be able to repay.

And above all, please don't forget the pictures when you get your new guitar.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jun 11, 2015,
Yw captain cranky, fretless works just fine. Pictures to follow in the time to come. I am glad I got an opportunity to "talk down" on people. I asked some specific questions, and got "google" as an answer, so of course those comments lost validity to me.

I agree with tony though, it's a risk. Idk what it will sound or play like until it's done, we'll see.
Quote by pks330
I am glad I got an opportunity to "talk down" on people. I asked some specific questions, and got "google" as an answer, so of course those comments lost validity to me. .
I reread your post. It's nice the you priced the wood out to $500.00. But then, there are such hings as frets, tuners, bridges, saddles pins, braces, and what not. Which I can only assume you'll be getting free.

Your OP really wasn't in the form of a question, anyway.

As for, how it would sound, good luck trying to explain that to us even after its built. "How will your hypothetical guitar sound". Gee, your luthier claims he doesn't know, you don't really know, but we're supposed to? Right.

As for you being off put by the suggestion to google wood density and weights. We do work for nothing, and by all accounts your luthier will work for next to nothing. Maybe it's time for you to do some of the leg work, ay?

BTW, where did the rhetoric about, "because you overpay, doesn't mean I should" go? I guess I was hallucinating, (again).
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jun 11, 2015,
Quote by pks330
my luthier is actually quite old and been in business for over 40 years. Because you over pay, i should? My neck is $119.00, the back and side sets are $247.00 and the fret board is $100.00, lastly I haven't priced a top. However I'd try to stay around $250.00 on the top, a little over $500 yes, but it will be what I want. As for sound of cocobolo, I've played it, and I've heard bright. Maybe it's different depending. I want it not only to be good sounding but aesthetically pleasing. I will go fretless, and probably get an extra fretboard just incase.
I own production lines, and sure I enjoy them, but now I want something made for me. No inlays, no frets, gonna go with bone nut and saddle, idk about the bridge or tuners yet, but I'm hopeful it turns out well.

Yeah, okay. I'll reiterate: You are NOT getting good walnut and redwood and cocobolo for $500. Go ahead and try. What you'll get is cheap wood from the cutting floor, left over from the good cuts. If you're lucky enough to not just get straight up screwed and given wood that's not even what you think it is.

The prices I'm talking about are NOT "over pay". The prices YOU'RE talking about are severe "under pay", which should worry you because cheap = cheap. You get what you pay for. I'll stand by my statement that if your luthier is going to do this for that cheap, he's not a good luthier. I don't give a shit how old he is or how long he's been doing it. If he were good, he could (and would) charge more than that. And he'd be able to give you a decent idea of what a walnut and redwood guitar would sound like.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6