Ok. I'm 18 but I'm really newbie about music. I bought Bona Method book last week and I'm trying to learn the theory before buying an instrument because I already have an ocarina so i can practice a bit.
I'm thinking about buying an electric guitar in some months and I want to know what do you recommend. The prices can't be compared because I'm Brazilian and the prices here are quiet bigger than should be, anyway. I meanly wanna know why should I buy this or that because i went to a music store and the seller showed me Strato, Telecaster, Les Paul, Flying.
Yamaha, Fender, Gibson, Ibanez.
I guess you got it...
Basically i want to know the difference between the types and brands.
Sorry if I'm flooding...
Thanks.
It'll be hard to really dive into theory without a guitar in hand. You can learn some stuff sure, but you wont really grip it unless you have a guitar.
As for the brands of guitars. It depends. What style of music are you wanting to play? There are no right or wrongs for guitar. However, some people will tell you that some guitars are better for some genres over another brand. For example, Fenders are very popular in Blues and rock. Ibanez are very popular with the metal/shredding crowds. But, a lot of it is really just personal preference. I love to play Blues and even though I have a Gibson I honestly prefer to play on my Ibanez because the neck is more comfortable in my opinion.
The best thing you can do when looking for a guitar is have a budget and try out guitars in the cash range and get what feels and sounds good to you. That's how you know you've got a winner. It just feels right.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Quote by Fallenoath
It'll be hard to really dive into theory without a guitar in hand. You can learn some stuff sure, but you wont really grip it unless you have a guitar.
As for the brands of guitars. It depends. What style of music are you wanting to play? There are no right or wrongs for guitar. However, some people will tell you that some guitars are better for some genres over another brand. For example, Fenders are very popular in Blues and rock. Ibanez are very popular with the metal/shredding crowds. But, a lot of it is really just personal preference. I love to play Blues and even though I have a Gibson I honestly prefer to play on my Ibanez because the neck is more comfortable in my opinion.
The best thing you can do when looking for a guitar is have a budget and try out guitars in the cash range and get what feels and sounds good to you. That's how you know you've got a winner. It just feels right.

I'm really into doing solos haha I like metal, rock so you got it.
I agree with fallenoath. It's hard to grasp the concept and build a technique without having a guitar. I don't recommend you spend a lot in case you decide you don't like it, but stay away from the "beginner" guitars. Those actually just make it harder. I would go with maybe an affinity squier stratocaster. They're fairly easy to play and once you decide to do some modifications, they make a great base for it considering how popular strat modding is. Good luck and have fun!