Easy/Simple/Short question is: What do people expect to find/get when they search/look online for acoustic guitar pickups, acoustic guitar on board preamps and acoustic guitar preamps?

If you understand the question, please feel free to answer without reading below. If you need more explanation, than please read the following.

Thanks.

So I'm trying to get an understanding of what to look for in an acoustic guitar pickup/preamp but before I dive into that I want to understand the differences, however I'm having trouble deciphering what to search/look for exactly/literally.

When I'm searching google or using search options on guitar websites, is there a consistent way of describing acoustic guitar pickups, on board acoustic guitar preamps and acoustic guitar preamps?

Pickups
From my understanding if you are searching for just an "acoustic guitar pickup" most likely the results will be for a product that is a sound hole, bridge or saddle mounted pickup that often also comes with a small scale preamp built into the pickup system. These will likely be low profile systems which likely do not require a permanent/difficult installation/alteration. Although these pickups might contain a preamp, many websites will not specify "preamp" in their product names. It is just assumed, unless stated otherwise in the product description that many acoustic guitar pickups come with a preamp.

Did I get this right? Is this what most people think of when they hear "acoustic guitar pickup"?

Example: LR Baggs M80 Magnetic Soundhole Pickup. No mention of a preamp in the product name, but it can be confirmed on the website that this pickup does come with a preamp.

On Board Preamps
Search results for "on board acoustic guitar preamps" will often include results that are in a sense, almost the reverse of a search for "acoustic guitar pickups". The common results will be a larger scale preamp/eq that requires a more permanent installation/alteration, often having to screw the preamp into the side of the body of the guitar. Though many of these will come with a pickup, the product names will often not include "pickup" in the name. It is just assumed, unless stated otherwise in the product description that many acoustic guitar on board preamps come with a pickup?

Did I get this right? Is this what most people think of when they hear "on board acoustic preamps"?

Example: Fishman Presys+ Onbard Preamp System. No mention of a pickup in the product name, but it can be confirmed on the website that this on board preamp does come with a pickup

Acoustic Guitar Preamp
Results for the search "acoustic guitar preamp" should most likely yield preamp products which are not meant to be mounted/located in the guitar, but rather they will be separate external preamp units, in which the preamp signal is completely separate from the pickup. These products will often be DI/Direct boxes and might be in the form of an effects pedal. There will most likely never be a pickup included with the products, nor will "pickup" ever be in the product name.

Did I get this right? Is this what most people think of when they hear "acoustic guitar preamps"? Is a common term for this type of preamp an "outboard preamp"?

Example: Tonezone PZ Pre No mention of a pickup in the product name, and the product description does not mention anything about including a pickup.

Electric Guitar/Basses: Although it's my primary concern to understand the above regarding acoustic guitars, does the same rule of thumb also apply to electric guitars, electric basses and acoustic basses?

Let me know what you think?

Thanks.
Last edited by bachfantasia at Jun 11, 2015,