So my amp has been sitting unplugged for a good year while I have been away. I plugged everything in, turned her on and I get no sound. The tubes light up, but I get nothing. I plugged the same cable into another amp and it works fine.

I AM able to get clean sound from the return jack on the FX loop, but nothing on the main on either channels.

Schecter Hellraiser C-1 (EMG's)
ESP LTD EC-1000 (SD JH/59's)
Rolland Jazz Chorus (For cleans)
Peavey 6505 + 112 Combo w/ C-V30
ISP Decimator/TS9/ZW Chorus
Sounds like pre-amp tubes. Replace them.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
I believe you are right. I just took the plate off the back and removed the pre-amp covers and turned it back on. The 4 pre-amps in the front do not light up, but the one pre-amp in the back along with the power tubes come on.

I'll pick up some more, tomorrow. Thanks for the help!
if it has been untouched, i would be tempted to clean the sockets, and maybe that is it. deoxit is cheap and i don't think you will run out any time soon.

just a shot. i would clean out the jacks and maybe the pots a little bit too.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I wouldn't be sure it's the preamp tubes. They usually dont all go out at once, and its unusual that none of them light up. I've had plenty of tubes go bad, and more often than not, they still light up, they just dont produce sound.

I would'nt buy a whole set of preamp tubes just yet. I'd buy one locally and try it in V1 first. If none of them ligbt up, then I think you may have blown rectifier diodes -- which seems to be fairly common in these amps. They are dirt cheap to replace, but a tech will probably spend an hour or so replacing them.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
I wouldn't be sure it's the preamp tubes. They usually dont all go out at once, and its unusual that none of them light up. I've had plenty of tubes go bad, and more often than not, they still light up, they just dont produce sound.

I would'nt buy a whole set of preamp tubes just yet. I'd buy one locally and try it in V1 first. If none of them ligbt up, then I think you may have blown rectifier diodes -- which seems to be fairly common in these amps. They are dirt cheap to replace, but a tech will probably spend an hour or so replacing them.

Well, I didn't come back here and read these, unfortunately. I picked up some pre-amp tubes and they're still not lighting up, still no sound.

Guess I'm taking this in for repair.
Last edited by orion82698 at Jun 15, 2015,
^^Chances are, any preamp tubes you purchased will be an upgrade to your stock tubes, plus it's always nice to have a stockpile of working tubes.

If you take your amp to a tech, tell him to first check diodes D 18, D 19, D 23, and D 24. (After checking the obvious areas such as fuses). A couple of those went bad in mine, and I've heard of others having the same problem. The diodes are only about $.25 each, so there's really no cost in parts. If those check out fine, tell him to check diodes D 6, D 7, D 8, and D 9, but I doubt the problem is with them. My money is on the first set I mentioned.

Hopefully you'll get a tech that isn't a worthless POS like the one I took mine to. I had to pay him $60 to check my fuses and then he refused to touch anything else, claiming he couldn't work on "solid state" circuit boards (it is a pure-tube amp). So I fixed it myself.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
when it's on, when you twist the volume and gain knobs does it sound like anything? hiss, volume increase,? or does it sound like it was on Standby? so virtually no sound. When that happened it lead to a blown fuse. problem solved once i replaced it. just an option.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
first thing to check is the HT fuse, usually there are 2 fuses - 1 for mains power which means all the tubes will still get 6.3v and light up and another for the high voltage that powers the power tubes and preamp tubes.

not studied the schematic so can't really say too much but if one of the preamp tubes has gone - it's possible the phase invertor which is the valve just before the power valves. write down the positions of your current preamp tubes and then try swapping them around when the amp is off.

you might get lucky and the socket is just loose a bit and by doing that it'll come back to life.

deoxit in the sockets helps too

you might want to check the output jack too, your speaker cable, your cabinet etc...

make sure the cable works 100%, then make sure you're getting a good tight connection when it's plugged into the socket.

good luck
Quote by KailM

You called it! .25 cent rec diode, $100 for labor lol

Got the amp back a day later. I must say, the new tubes do sound a lot better.

Thanks for the help, all!
^^
$100 is kind of steep, but it is a real pain to get in there and change those diodes. To get the board out you have to unthread and remove every knob, disconnect all of the plugs, and more. If I had to do it over again it would still probably take over an hour. So maybe his rate was fair.

Anyway, glad you got it working!
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I had exactly the same problem with my 6505.

I ended up taking it to an amp tech and he had to do quite a bit of work on it.

I'm not in the slightest bit technical but I think it came down to something to do with too much power getting to the board.

If you're on Facebook look for somebody called Dan Whitelock Jones, he's the bloke who fixed mine. He should be able to point you in the right direction.

Hope this helps!!

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350M
Ibanez JS100
Fender Strat

Amp:
Fender Blues Jr
Fender Champion 600
Washburn Southside

Effects:
POD HD300
Marshall Guv'Nor