I have been playing guitar for about 11 years and I have spent probably 95% of my time playing electric (mostly metalcore). I consider myself to be slightly above average in the metal guitar category. However I'm not very well rounded. I only know - and am comfortable with - the most common chords: A, C, D, E, G Major - A, B, D, E minor (and only the most common positions) I'm looking for some acoustic songs that use more than just these basic chords so I can expand my acoustic abilities. I like pretty much anything rock, blues, country whatever. I am a metal head so I think I'm always going to tend to spend more time with electric but I really want to bridge that gap as much as possible. Thanks!
Study these players if you want to take your rhythm playing to the next level:

Neil Young - Needle and the damage done - Old man ( these are easy - so start here)

Hendrix - Little Wing - Hey Joe - Castles Made of Sand - Angel - these can be played on acoustic - this will really open up your rhythm playing in terms of voicings and mixing strumming and fills.

Dave Matthews - he's a strong acoustic player - I can't really recommend anything since I'm not that familiar with his tunes, but they are a step up from the average level of difficulty.

Tony Rice / Bluegrass - this is actually very advanced but it will catapult your playing- very fast chord changes with a lot of string jumping - the leads can be played standalone for the most part - find an instrumental album and try learning some of it. "Acoustics" album is very "minor" so you'll probably really like it if you're into metal. He has an old instructional video that is on you tube - so that may help.
I tried learning old man and I'm actually having a really hard time with it. Haha, maybe I'm worse with acoustic than I thought! I just have a really hard time with rhythm and strumming. I'm also just used to using guitar pro to learn everything and not really having to worry about strumming patterns and things like that. This is embarrassing...I guess this is the reason why everyone told me I should learn on acoustic first and then get an electric !
Don't worry about it - I was playing Dream theater before I could even strum a Neil Young song - it just takes some practice.
I've always liked acoustic, for practicing band songs we're learning I alternate between acoustic and unplugged hollow body electric. I'm not that diverse with chords either, tendon injury from age 12 seriously limits dexterity in my left hand and some chords that most people can do without a 2nd though I can't do at all.

Let's see...good acoustic songs...

Bad Company - Seagull (1st album I think) an old favorite of mine, pretty simple too.
Tons of Eagles songs...not quite the hard rock you're mostly ito, but good for doodling on acoustic...

Take it Easy
Peaceful Easy Feelin
Already Gone
Lyin Eyes

plenty others

Crosby Stills & Nash

Southern Cross
Helplessly Hoping

America - another largely acoustic group.

Sandman
Ventura Highway
Sister Golden Hair

Doobie Brothers - Black Water
Stealer's Wheel - Stuck in the Middle With You
Harry Chapin - Cat's in the Cradle

Most of those are on my band's set list. We do a lot of both electric and acoustic songs, 3 part harmonies, mostly classic rock.

Then there's tons of electric songs that can easily be done on acoustic. I've learned most of our song list on acoustic, the ones I didn't already know for 30 years...Working on some cool ones now, Baker Street and Right down the line, by Gerry Rafferty (Stealer's Wheel, wrote Stuck in the Middle) doing stuck in the Middle too, working on a couple of tougher Eagles tunes, How Long, New Kid in Town and another I can't remember, we put together Life in the Fast Lane years ago but other guitar player is not happy with his vocals so we dropped it. Also check out Bob Seger tunes, CCR and John Fogerty, there's loads of songs out there. And just because it's electric, don't think you can't play it on acoustic. I learned Dire Straits' "Sultans of Swing" on an acoustic...I've also tuned to drop D and played ZZ Top's "TV Dinners" on acoustic, it works better than you think it might. Been working on an acoustic version of Smoke on the Water too...

Think outside the box. Loads of songs will work acoustic if you just let go of the idea they have to be electric...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
You can try lots of stuff off The Rolling Stones, "Beggars Banquet". Kieth Richards is at his rhythmic best with "Street Fighting Man", "Sympathy for the Devil", "No Expectations".

Martina M Bride, "Independence Day". That's actually power pop. Capo up 2, and sing it an octave lower.

Here a cheat, it's in the key of A major:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g5l8TtUu-4

Bruce Springsteen, "Darkness on the Edge of Town".

If you really want to learn rhythm, The Who, "Pinball Wizard", (and everything else from "Tommy").
John Mayer has some great acoustic songs that can get pretty challenging.
Check out "Neon" and "Why Georgia"