Specifically regarding late/bounced rent fees.

To keep my anonymity I won't specify an exact amount, but I am being charged a returned fee somewhere between 180 and 300 dollars. My bank already charged me a mere 34 and took it back after I complained (I paid it while I had the money, they made a payment that didn't even go through until the 3rd of the month appear like it was already pending before I made my rent payment on the first, and posted it for the 2nd, it was bullshit, and they admitted it).

So I've been googling nevada laws, and I can't really understand if I'm reading the stuff right. You know lawmakers, trying to make stuff sound vague so that judges can interpret them anyway that they want.

So basically, am I obligated to pay such a huge fee for that, or can I say that it's ridiculously high and say that the most I'll pay is the typical fee charged by banks, which is 25 to 34 at most, especially if it's a FIRST TIME offense?

Thanks guys.
Quote by yamdiddle
Specifically regarding late/bounced rent fees.

To keep my anonymity I won't specify an exact amount, but I am being charged a returned fee somewhere between 180 and 300 dollars. My bank already charged me a mere 34 and took it back after I complained (I paid it while I had the money, they made a payment that didn't even go through until the 3rd of the month appear like it was already pending before I made my rent payment on the first, and posted it for the 2nd, it was bullshit, and they admitted it).

So I've been googling nevada laws, and I can't really understand if I'm reading the stuff right. You know lawmakers, trying to make stuff sound vague so that judges can interpret them anyway that they want.

So basically, am I obligated to pay such a huge fee for that, or can I say that it's ridiculously high and say that the most I'll pay is the typical fee charged by banks, which is 25 to 34 at most, especially if it's a FIRST TIME offense?

Thanks guys.

What does your rental agreement say?

Although according to this, no, you are not obligated to pay that large a fee.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/nevada-late-fees-termination-nonpayment-rent-other-rent-rules.html

"Nevada Rules on Bounced Check Fees

Nevada allows landlords to collect a fee of no more than $25 for a bounced check."

The relevant law is Nev. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 597.960, which says:

NRS 597.960  Collection of fee for dishonored check accepted as payment for goods or services.

1.  A seller, or his or her agent, may collect a fee of not more than $25 for each check which was accepted by the seller as payment for goods or services and, upon presentment to the drawee, was not honored because the drawer stopped payment on the check, the drawer does not have an account with the drawee or the drawer does not have sufficient funds in his or her account or credit with the drawee to cover the amount of the check.

2.  As used in this section:

(a) “Check” includes a draft or other negotiable order for the payment of money on demand which is drawn on a bank or other financial institution.

(b) “Drawee” means the person ordered in the check to make payment.

(c) “Drawer” means the person who signs or is identified in the check as the person ordering payment.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Jun 11, 2015,