So I was at my local music shop and saw this guitar (Sigma DR-1ST) on the used rack. After a quick Google search, I learned that Sigma is the low end model of Martin. I messed around with the guitar for about an hour both unplugged and plugged into an acoustic amp. Long story short, I bought the guitar and a Luna Acoustic 15c amp for it totaling $340 (amp new was $100). The owner also threw in a hard case and cable.

Two and a half months later, I am happy with the purchase. It needed new strings and bridge pins but despite the obvious abuse it received in the past, there are no problems with the play-ability. I've only been playing guitar for about 9 months and while I am aware of Martin's reputations, I'm wondering what people think of the Sigma brand and this specific model.

Thanks!
Attachments:
rsz_1rsz_11rsz_1rsz_20150611_135545.jpg
rsz_20150318_163300.jpg
Don't know about that particular model, I've played several Sigma guitars and owned one for a couple of years, always liked them pretty well. The one I owned turned out to be a mistake, I bought it without trying it out long enough, the neck was a little too fat and made my left wrist really sore after an hour or so. Otherwise it was a nice guitar, everybody else liked it really well. Well built, sounded very good, played good except for the fat neck.

The first one I ever played belonged to a friend, one of the earliest Sigma electric acoustic models, I loved it. Great guitar. Much more affordable than a Martin, his sounded great and was a treat to play, was just as well built as mine.

I've tried out several others at music stores and pawn shops, always liked them but don't know a thing about their newer models, I haven't looked around much at acoustics for several years.

If that's one of the older ones though, it should be a pretty good guitar.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Last edited by Paleo Pete at Jun 14, 2015,