Page 1 of 2
Line 6 just announced their new Helix Guitar Processor. It looks like a HUGE step forward in modeling and integration.

http://line6.com/helix/

The feature list is incredible. Pre-order is already available at Sweetwater and Musician's Friend.

As a Vetta II, HD500X, JTV69 and DT25 owner, I'm stoked.
For $1500 it better give a good blowjob, too.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
That user interface. Looks familiar... This better not be loaded with all of the ancient tech they were using in their Amplifi products...
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
I thought that was pretty steep until I started looking into the features; then it started making sense. 4 amps at once with switching between tonestacks, the ability to run 3rd party IR's and put them anywhere in your signal path, 4 effects loops, reamping, 8 in/8 out USB audio interface, external amp switching, 6" color LCD display, new HX modeling, etc...
Oh- this toy looks like a lot of fun to play with. I want one. But Im gonna have to sell other beloved toys in order to buy one. Are there any good demos for it?
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Well the ad sure looks gorgeous

Seriously though, could be interesting
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
I'm probably going to sell my mother to get one.
Gear:
Dean RC7X (Bareknuckle Coldsweat pickups)
Ibanez Rg2570Z (Bareknuckle Juggernaughts)
Schecter KM-6
Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid 7 String
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The Line 6 forum is lit up with this news. I'm enjoying it because it seems the answer to almost every "can it do this" question is "yep, plus it can do this". It's like they implemented almost everything the HD500X users were suggesting on Ideascale.
I do like the interface.

It'll be interesting to see how the sound quality stacks up to the likes of the axefx and strymon stuff

Also be interesting to get a more in-depth look at the effects and amps modelled
RIP Gooze

cats
Damn that is beautiful. I need it
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
it looks really cool. really pricey though. i don't think i could ever justify that kind of money for it. but again i don't use a ton of pedals or anything.

as said, i really wonder how the effects stack up with strymon.

cool though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Oh god! That site gave me eye cancer... Is this what the youth wants their internet to be nowadays?

Anyway, looks like a studio thing. Wouldn't carry that on-stage, too many LEDs, LCDs etc.
All of that tech and the price tag but still only one pedal to do both volume and wah
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
All of that tech and the price tag but still only one pedal to do both volume and wah

line 6 missed out on something there.

_________

i don't think i could justify gigging it. one spilled beer and you are out $1500, easily stolen, etc.

_________

again, with what i said, i am really curious how it compares to strymon and axe and kemper as well.

i have a hard time thinking i would want that over a kemper. honestly though i have no experience with either, so i may not know what i am talking about .
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
line 6 missed out on something there.

_________

i don't think i could justify gigging it. one spilled beer and you are out $1500, easily stolen, etc.

_________

again, with what i said, i am really curious how it compares to strymon and axe and kemper as well.

i have a hard time thinking i would want that over a kemper. honestly though i have no experience with either, so i may not know what i am talking about .

Yeah the original floorboard and the vetta floorboard are the only ones that had both volume and wah pedals separate

I can't justify spending $500 on the HD500x so $1500 is way out of my league
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly

Their research indicated long ago that most guitarists didn't do both at once, and that for those who did, a second expression pedal was a cheap and easy buy. They did have the FBV Longboard (two pedals) for years, but the single-pedal Shortboard was by far the bigger seller.

Some of us have two pedals, but NOT for volume and wah together (the switch between the two is sufficient, and I can do volume swells if the master volume is well-placed on the guitar)) but to allow us to control some aspect of an effect. One of the really totally bitchin' and groovy (like that?) perks of a Variax guitar feeding into one of these via the VDI cable is that you can actually assign an aspect of the pedal board (usually an effect) to either the volume or tone control on the guitar itself and run it by hand.
Quote by trashedlostfdup

That's okay -- someone will be along on the Internet shortly to tell you what you should think.
like others said....id like to see how it stacks up with a kemper/axefx. it sounds good but 1500 bucks for a floorboard......nope. the rack unit sure but im not stepping on/spilling beer on/cig ashing on a 1500 dollar floorboard.

that rack unit looks sexy tho.....but ill keep my m13 thanks
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Quote by CorrosionMedia
Looks like Line 6 are finally dipping their toes into the Fractal/Kemper realm!

Maybe. Or maybe there's a market niche? Those things go for two grand and up each AND require a pedalboard (Fractal's recommended board is $750 additional and requires you to program it). An Axe-FX II Super Duper will run $2400; $3150 with the pedal board. This, at $1500 settles into half that.

Guitarists are often sheep who listen with their eyes and evaluate gear based on price point, internet gossip or spec sheet.

I've been using an HD series Pod with a Torpedo C.A.B., which provides IRs for cabinets and an amazingly good set of tube power amp simulations. The C.A.B. at $550-ish is actually more expensive than an HD500X (and the pair is right around $1K) and the two together provide output pretty comparable to a Kemper. None of it is as tweakable as an Axe, but that's one of the reasons you buy an Axe! The Helix incorporates bits and pieces of all of this and moves up-market. You should expect that this will be a halo product that will have "children"... *ahem*.
I've noted a couple of people worried about spills.

I have to say that if this piece of gear isn't sealed against common spills, it's not even close to worth the money. Surely a few o-rings and a few reasonably placed wipers and gaskets were engineered in? I've got a few pieces of consumer electronics used for camping that I could wash off with a garden hose without concern and they weren't anywhere near this expensive.

Because ANYTHING that goes in front WILL get spilled on eventually.

Time will tell, I suppose.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Jun 12, 2015,
Quote by Arby911

Because ANYTHING that goes in front WILL get spilled on eventually.

Well, that's been MY experience, certainly, and is one of the reasons that most of my gear sits in the backline, and I have a Shortboard (used, thank you very much) sitting out front with another Shortboard (ditto) waiting in the wings. NO AC power running to that shortboard, no expensive guitar cables, either. One lousy ethernet cable wends its way from the backline to the shortboard. That's it.

So far spills haven't been a problem, though there have been a few. I did, however, have an overeager seriously inebriated hard partying off-balance large woman land on an older FBV Express once. Bent the expression pedal bracket, rendering it unusable. She also took out three mike stands, the bass player's beer (he had a slick little cup holder on his mike stand) and moved most of the drum set in her efforts to keep her ample buttocks from touching down. The drums were unharmed, the mike stands were bent (and had to be replaced) and I eventually got the expression pedal working again.

It was when she bent over to vomit on the bass player's pedal board on her way back to verticality that things nearly took an ugly turn.
Quote by Robbgnarly

It looks like it has jacks for 2 external expression pedals. My HD500X has a jack to run 1.
Quote by DarrellM5
It looks like it has jacks for 2 external expression pedals. My HD500X has a jack to run 1.

Yeah but at the price they want, it should be on the board already

My FBV shoartboard has an expression pedal out, so I am aware of how L6 does it, I just think they have done it wrong
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I think this thing is already going to be pretty good sized with just one expression pedal onboard. They've already said it's bigger than the HD500X.

My FBV longboard for the Vetta II has 2 built-in expression pedals though.
I like ONE feature, and ONE feature only, and I think it's bloody ingenious and wonder why nobody's ever thought of it before: the custom assignable footswitch labels

The hands free editing is also pretty cool, but I'd prefer editing patches on a computer anyway, but I'm a 'tweaker'.

P.S. Rob, have you ever tried a Zoom G9.2tt? Those things have not one, not two but THREE pedals (technically) which can all control up to three different parameters at the same time (so up to 9 things you can control in - real - time all at once), AND has tube circuitry
The above post is in terms of 'YMMV' and 'IMO', etc...

Quote by Offworld92
This debate is exhausting to read.
The guitar world is drowned in fairy dust.
We need to start at the very beginning. What is tone.
i am with robb, i would want two expression pedals.

despellman - i have yet to hear you fault line 6 for much of anything. i am not being an ass, but you come across as a fanboi for line 6 quite a bit .
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Unless you live on wah, one pedal is heaps. The single pedal on my GT-100 covers my needs nicely.
But having said that, one reason that I tend to use my simple analogue pedals instead is that it doesn't really matter if I spill l beer onto it. And that board has no volume pedal, just wah. tuner and OD. So the GT-100 is overkill because I am not needing MIDI amp switching any more.
So perhaps, as a punk, I shouldn't probably be listened to.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Never been a fan of Zoom pedals

^ Cath the only issue is that if you have the volume set lower when you engage the wah you also turn the volume all the way up because you have to toe tap to turn it on. Shitty design IMO
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I don't really get the spilling issue most people seem to have. I haven't had anything spilled on my pedals ever, because I don't put drinks anywhere near it and ask bandmates not to either. And an expansive high-end pedalboard with separate pedals is as valuable as the Helix.

I'm pretty interested in this. I won't buy it (happy Kemper user), but it does look like it can deliver.
Quote by trashedlostfdup

despellman - i have yet to hear you fault line 6 for much of anything. i am not being an ass, but you come across as a fanboi for line 6 quite a bit .

I do, occasionally, don't I. And I don't think you're an ass for mentioning it.

Disclaimer: I've had Pod XTs roughly forever (now HD's as well, of course), and I have four Variax guitars (an older-breed 500-series electric, an Acoustic 700 and two JTV-89Fs) and have been hunting down a 705-series 5-string bass.

In that time, I've had one XT simply stop working. Refused to power up, period. Dunno why, but it got fixed and it goes on. One of the JTV-89Fs (the one I picked up in January, actually) had the "Models" and "Alternate Tunings" knobs on the wrong pots.

I've been able to spend some time behind the scenes at Line 6 in Calabasas, and they've repaired stuff for me really quickly. I have no other affiliation with them. Other than that I think I owe a couple of people lunches.

I think the Variax guitars are a clever idea (and the current ones are well-put-together), but they're not within the average budget confines (usually around $500, give or take) for gear on this forum. I think they've done a really good job with affordable wireless systems and have forced long-time players like Shure to play catch-up.

I don't think much of the PA stuff they've introduced. It works really well and sounds really good, but I have no idea where it fits (DJs?) and it seems pricey. I don't work with the little interfaces for recording.

Most of this forum knows only about the HD500 (sometimes the XT/X3). It's a good piece and it fits into average budgets on this forum, but gets short shrift from people with short attention spans and aversions to any kind of learning curve.

I have a lot of other favorites, but most are not within the budget range of most UG participants, and the only Ibanez I own is an '82 AR300.
Quote by I K0nijn I
I don't really get the spilling issue most people seem to have. I haven't had anything spilled on my pedals ever, because I don't put drinks anywhere near it and ask bandmates not to either. And an expansive high-end pedalboard with separate pedals is as valuable as the Helix.

I really don't worry much about bandmates and spills.
You'll get the idea if you ever play some of the venues that have you on the floor with dancing drunks or on a low riser.

And yes, I've counted up the retail on some folks' pedal boards and gone beyond a nice new Kemper...
Quote by dspellman

I have a lot of other favorites, but most are not within the budget range of most UG participants

This, while perhaps true, was unnecessarily crass. We discuss gear here on a pretty regular basis that is out of the price range of many of the posters.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Why is every one complaining about one expression pedal? If it's like the hd500 and you need to do is press down hard on toe end to switch between vol and wah. It's not like you will do both at the same time.
Gear:
Dean RC7X (Bareknuckle Coldsweat pickups)
Ibanez Rg2570Z (Bareknuckle Juggernaughts)
Schecter KM-6
Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid 7 String
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by dspellman

Most of this forum knows only about the HD500 (sometimes the XT/X3). It's a good piece and it fits into average budgets on this forum, but gets short shrift from people with short attention spans and aversions to any kind of learning curve.

Lol. Not necessarily short attention spans and aversions to any kind of learning curve, it's usually just a case of the learning curve being so long and laborious and the end result being so crap.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
So census say dspellman likes Carvin and L6. I'd still have a beer with him even if he refused my whiskey
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
So census say dspellman likes Carvin and L6. I'd still have a beer with him even if he refused my whiskey

Actually, the list of likes is longer than that, but I have YET to refuse a man's whiskey.
I'm deterred by how the rack unit is 3U instead of 2U like the Axe-FX, Kemper Rack, Eleven Rack, and every previous POD. It seems like it's on that big to fit a huge, beautiful screen on there, but that's a feature that not many people really need. Most people only use the built-in UI to reference the current patch or make quick edits when they need them. If they want an intuitive interface to edit their patches on Axe-FX, 11R, or Kemper, they pull out their laptop and use the software editor. Rack space is too valuable to waste on non-essential things IMO
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
Page 1 of 2