howdy all I have a question.
I have a Marshall Valvestate 2000 and its a 150 watt head going into the matching 4x12 cab but for some reason its not as loud as my 120 watt combo amp.
Does anyone know why this is?
It would help me a lot!
Thanks!
Which 120W combo? If it's a 6505 then they are seriously louder than a Valvestate, they just are.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I know they say watts are watts, but in my experience tube amps are way louder than solid state amps at the same wattage. I think some of it may have to do with what actual wattage measurement the manufacturer is listing on the product. Solid state amps often list their peak wattage or their RMS as their wattage which can be misleading.

Then there's also speaker efficiency. Inefficient speakers are quite a bit quieter than efficient ones like Celstion Vintage 30s. The speakers in your Valvestate are likely crap.

But I'm with Cathbard on this one, Valvestates are not that loud no matter how you shake it. I used to have a VS 65R and even with an Eminence speaker inside, it couldn't keep up with any drummer I've worked with. Then I ignorantly bought an MG halfstack thinking it would keep up with my drummer. At 100 watts running 4 speakers, it still wouldn't keep up with my drummer, and sounded like garbage attempting to do so.

My 60 watt 6505+ will render a drummer "mute" with its volume at a mere "3".
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Jun 12, 2015,
Different volume knobs reach the max in different times.
Or some shit like that.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Quote by FALCON1243
howdy all I have a question.
I have a Marshall Valvestate 2000 and its a 150 watt head going into the matching 4x12 cab but for some reason its not as loud as my 120 watt combo amp.
Does anyone know why this is?
It would help me a lot!
Thanks!

How much louder?