Hello, this is my first post here!

Looking for constructive feedback on the music I've been working on for some time, it's mostly heavier rock with some metalcore/post hardcore influences. This music is meant to have vocals to it so there are some repetitive parts, but I still tried to keep it mixed up a bit. I've also attempted to pool together all my influences for this.

Let me know what you think!

https://soundcloud.com/sean-riggleman/sets/the-wanderer

(I misplaced a lot of the gp5 files so I would not be able to post them all if requested )

Edit: These were done over a period of a couple years with one being way, way older than the others (but it seems to be the favorite everywhere I share so I keep it around, see if you can guess which one)
Attachments:
the wanderer.zip
Last edited by day.break at Jun 12, 2015,
The consept/mood/atmosphere are pretty good. Your gp5 files are welcome
Would love to see the .gp5 files of these to give an in depth crit. Excellent songwriting from first listen
Hey man, thanks for your crit on my song. I'm normally not a fan of a "core" genres but I really enjoyed that song. Its got some proggy bits and I absolutely love it! You seem to know how to manipulate song structure really well, and I love the clean parts interchanged with the heavier parts. The drums seem pretty well written from a drummer's and composer's point of view, which I find is lacking in a lot of tab files. Your music is nice and melodic, and in the "core" camp that's a breath of fresh air. It's amazing to see someone who doesn't need breakdowns to be heacy, and instead places them tastefully where they are needed. I don't know what I'd change in the songs if it were me. Maybe some guitar solos but in all honesty your songs don't really need them. Keep up the good work!
Wow, didn't expect such great feedback, thanks! It took me forever but I found all the GP files and they are now in the OP.

And FYI, I put a lot of time into the drums because I was solely a drummer for the first 6-7 years of my musical adventure
Last edited by day.break at Jun 12, 2015,
great! very melodic! great drums (you can always tell what someone's main instrument is, lol). some fantastic leads (which could be louder/more prominent)
really cool ideas though.

drums at 1:58 in 'this is my life' are a bit weird, might wanna go back over them again and tune up where the emphasis is in the bar.

actually have had that opening riff stuck in my head for a bit. very catchy.

very interesting, diverse sounds. do you have any plans to record them?
by the way, i stole this riff.
Hey dude, I checked out a couple of your songs, you clearly have a good understanding of song structure, but if you'd like me to crit one in particular section by section I could. I'd say overall the biggest issues I've heard were either with arrangement (what seems to be unwanted dissonance between several parts) and whenever the bass gets busy it often can clash with the rest, but I couldn't give you more details without sticking to one song. I don't want to bore you and write you a novel lol!
Quote by jrizzo
great! very melodic! great drums (you can always tell what someone's main instrument is, lol). some fantastic leads (which could be louder/more prominent)
really cool ideas though.

drums at 1:58 in 'this is my life' are a bit weird, might wanna go back over them again and tune up where the emphasis is in the bar.

actually have had that opening riff stuck in my head for a bit. very catchy.

very interesting, diverse sounds. do you have any plans to record them?

Thanks for the crit, I will hopefully record them all someday.
Quote by JazzDeath
Hey dude, I checked out a couple of your songs, you clearly have a good understanding of song structure, but if you'd like me to crit one in particular section by section I could. I'd say overall the biggest issues I've heard were either with arrangement (what seems to be unwanted dissonance between several parts) and whenever the bass gets busy it often can clash with the rest, but I couldn't give you more details without sticking to one song. I don't want to bore you and write you a novel lol!

If you're willing, go ahead and write the novel, haha. I'll take what I can get. For the bass, I was trying to make it interesting for any potential bass players, but I think I went overboard in some places as well
I generally dislike -core stuff so I came in expecting the worst, but that was actually an enjoyable listen throughout. You should absolutely record this.

6 - We'll Meet Again felt a bit out of place, but it does seem to kickstart the second half which seems a bit more energetic/pop-ish, so maybe that was intentional?

9 - Look to the Sky feels like later In Flames, I enjoyed the main riff quite a bit.

More guitar solos would have been nice.
All is ghost in memory and poison in the sun
Quote by Wquennasar

6 - We'll Meet Again felt a bit out of place, but it does seem to kickstart the second half which seems a bit more energetic/pop-ish, so maybe that was intentional?

I'll put it this way: the first 4 tracks define the sound I'm going for and the tracks following the interlude (Parallel Worlds) is where I start to play around a bit more.

I'm more of a riffer than a soloist - I can't shred. It's been my dream to find a guitarist who can play lead so I can either play drums or rhythm guitar because it tends to be when I write good solos, I can't play them whatsoever.

Thanks for the crit! I'm going to do my best to get these recorded for real!