Hi everyone,

This next week i'm going to buy the G1xon G1xon specs multi fx pedal that has a built-in looper. I want to loop my guitar but I'm wondering how its gonna be if I connect a shure SM58 to this pedal to loop it as well.

My idea is to plug my guitar and mic to a 2ways switch pedal that I already have and change the input whenever I want. I know that mixing a mic and a guitar to the same amp maybe isn't the best idea...

The pedal goes to a Fender Champion 20W and other times to a Blackstar fly 3 (for traveling and playing in hotel rooms).

Do you think it's gonna sound decent? I mean, i'm not looking for a good sound, it's only for practice purposes.
You might have some big level differences but it's doable. A guitar amp isn't the best option for a mic. My Fender Pro Jr was muddy as crap trying to play any vocals/drums though the amp (backing tracks in a looper). A multifx guitar amp with a CD/Aux in (like a MicroCube) works really well because the speaker is much more full range. I would take my MicroCube out on my boat and play music from my phone on it until I bought a bluetooth speaker. It worked really well.
Yeah, I got a G1Xon, and you'll probably need a pre-amp to get the level right (and will also be handy for going from XLR to unbalanced 1/4"). I'd try it out for you, but I'm separated by a long distance from my mics and mixers for a long time.

Heads up--the looper (like most MFX loopers) has limited utility. You might want to get a dedicated looper if you're going to use it live. Otherwise the G1Xon is like a compromise between a Zoom MS-50 and a G3X. More like an MS-50 with an expression pedal, up/down patch switching pedals, and looper/drum machine, but missing the 3 on-the-fly parameter adjusters that all the other recent Zoom MFXs have. It's great for travel since it has a headphones out (unlike the MS series), but don't expect all the other features of the MS or G series pedals. You might be much better off with a G3 or even a G5. I use a G5 at home, and use an MS-50 to augment various Digitech MXF for gigs (or by itself for open mics).
Thanks guys for the answers.

Yeah you're right about the level and mixing (I have already a XLR to 1/4 cable). I was thinking about making a configuration in the pedal for leveling, compress and eq the mic using the compresors and eq that the pedal has. Do you think I can save the sound of the mic playing with the pedal configurations?

I won't use it for gigs, I want that pedal to try new things and experiment with the loopers and fx without expending a lot of money.

I connected my mic directly to the amp (the 3W amp) and it sounded ok, a little muddy but not that bad. With a guitar at the same, the experience gets drastically worse if I put too much tone and volume to the guitar (to the point that you can't hear the mic signal at all). But I don't care about it because most of the time I will use them separately (one for looping acapella things, and the other for doing guitar stuff).
Last edited by JackLovesFire at Jun 14, 2015,
Thanks guys for the answers.

Do you think I can save the sound of the mic playing with the pedal configurations?

You could make a patch for the mic and save it. Or many mic patches--your call.

Sounds like a cheap, fun experiment, and you can always get a cheap mixer with a mic pre-amp if you need to boost the mic signal.

Have fun.
Ok, finally I have the G1on and for the price it's amazing, I didn't expect all the things it has for its price. Now I go to the point of the thread, that its connecting a mic to it for looping stuff and maybe apply fx to it.

Connecting only the mic to the amp is pretty good, for a voice looped backing track it works fine, no noises, nice volume, maybe the weak point is the muddiness but its ok.

But here comes the problem, and I know that this was going to happen. I connected my guitar and microphone with an adaptador of 2 jacks in to 1 jack out and the volume tends to go very low on both instruments signal and they tend to cancel eachother very easily.

I tried to balance the gain, the eq and the compression of the mixed sound and it sounds better, they don't cancel eachother like before, but the muddiness and low volume I think it's impossible to solve if I don't buy a mixer.

So I think that I have to buy a cheap mixer for getting a decent mixed sound...

Thanks guys for your help, I will reply when I've got the mixer.
Now I discovered one way to loop vocals and guitars at the same time and level all the sounds pretty well.

I've discovered if I connect the guitar and the microphone at the same time, all the signal lose its volume and I can't get nothing decent from this. But if I connect the guitar first with a configuration and then I disconnect the guitar and connect the mic with another configuration for leveling the sound (like a mixer does but in a very rudimental and bad way), I get a good balanced sound, all the sounds are in more or less in equilibrium.

So, I think that I'm going to make an A/B switch or buy a cheap one and try this system. I know that in the end i'm going to buy the mixer, because it's the safest and decent way to do this.