Yes, New Amp day #2 has come and gone.

The GBE1200 showed up in the mail and we had an Open Mic to do last night, so in it came as I ran through the usual GBE600 Preamp sections and then into the PowerAmp "in" on the GBE1200.

Previously I had been running through the much lighter, and better power balanced Shuttle Max 12.0 as the 12.2 was too tubey, or constrained for me. The 1200 was running 1000w@4ohms to the 12.0's load matched 600@4ohms

Did I just have a magical and inspiring religious experience?!

We are back to running the 12.0 again tonight as there is no room on the stage or rack to do the 1200 tonight. We will try and duplicate what was heard last night in the Top 112 with the GBE600 decoupled from the floor (a minor handicap) and the 12.0 will run the bottom 112 (should be an advantage) and we will A/B this for a final report.

Nevertheless, if components and circuits effect what is produced by the sum of their parts, the truth that the GBE1200 Power is different and more classic sounding than the 12.0 would just be a natural fast despite all of the engineering and analytical programming efforts that one might try and apply.

Might this be the first time my ear was forced to discerning something Digital from something Solid State?

The left hand response on the Bass was seemingly different, or was that just an evening of magic and inspiration from a discernment of richer tone?

If this is real, then I will gladly increase my Rig load by 39 lbs as the price for inspiration.
If this is the case we will have to sacrifice the older GBE600 in the inventory to be partially disassembled and have the Preamp sections fitted to a 1U Rack Space Chassis, to rune the GBE1200 power Amp section.

Then we need to find more GBE1200's. DANG! And I thought that the last amp to be bought had just been bought. Dradit!
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
Several possibilities.
You MAY have found out that having adequate power in your rig prevents a lot of "farting out" in your speaker cabinet.

You MAY have found a venue that does different things with acoustic and mechanical coupling (simply running the top 12" speaker in a a 2x12 cabinet does NOT decouple it from the floor mechanically if the cabinet is still resting on the stage, and there's still acoustic coupling to consider).

You may have found a venue that allows bass notes to fully develop and that doesn't cause you phase issues. And you may simply have found it easier to hear your bass due to stage size, room size, etc.

All of these can have an affect on the tone you're producing.
On the Issue of Power - This is the 600w of speaker were pushed by 1000w. I believe we were attenuated at 9-10 o'clock.

Farting out - never has happened.

I have played this venue every week since October.

425w Class C through 2x 112 cabs - Loved it a lot.
600w Class D same cabs - Liked it, but I think I had to work at the tone a little more
600W and 1200W Class D Tube emulation, same speakers - Highs and mids seemed constrained.
1000W of Class C same speakers - Loved it maybe more than the 425w of Class C

Just kind of shocked by the effects of the differences in circuitry

dspellamn - It appears you have misread regarding my experiment that I am going to run tonight.
I am going to be running 2x 112, separate cabinets, and I am going to try and give the Digital amp the Positional advantage, if there is one.

I will be able to turn one speaker up and one off at a time here and there and see what we get.
This is like Goldie Bass and the Three Amps...this amp is too....this amp is too.....this amp is just Right!
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Morely A/B
It's amazing the difference in how power amplifier topology affects things. I've listened to Class A, B, AB, C, D (which isn't digital, contrary to popular belief), G and T. All have their benefits and drawbacks.

The most interesting amp I've ever come across is by a company called Devialet. The signals within the amplifier are digital right up until they hit the output stage, where it's converted, even if it's an analogue input, and then fed into a combination of low power A and high power D. Quite remarkable engineering.
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Jun 12, 2015,
Well, contrary to prior stated opinion, the location of the cabinet tonight effected the tone emitted by the cabinet.

At first I was hearing a little more low mid from the cabinet run by the 12.0, then I switched the speaker wires from the Amps and the depth of tone followed which ever cabinet was on bottom.

I could not gather a difference between the 12.0 and the GBE600.

The 1200 is coming out again on tomorrow night. It might be the the over powered GB NeoX.
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Morely A/B