I keep having a buddy tell me my playing is syncopated. I don't understand what the heck he's talking about. Can someone enlighten me as to what that means?
Just read a definition of syncopation.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Not gonna lie, if someone's telling you your playing is syncopated, my initial impression is that they probably don't know what it means either.

EDIT: That is to say, things you play may be syncopated, but it seems an odd statement to make of someone's playing as a whole...
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Jun 12, 2015,
long ago the staple singers & dad used to do a sync clapping thing..very cool..not as easy as it looks .. you have to understand where and what the "and" is
play well

wolf
In general being syncopated means that you land on the up beat or to put it into layman's terms is that you land off beat or even accent off beat.
Last edited by Black_devils at Jun 13, 2015,
I'm inclined to think he's saying your playing is not smooth and very off-beat.
Last edited by triface at Jun 13, 2015,
If in doubt record your playing to see what he/she is talking about.
I asked him to give an example of some of the riffs i've brought up at band practice and he can't give me any examples. It's pissing me off. It wouldn't be considered off beat if i just muted one of my notes?
Quote by 75mm
I asked him to give an example of some of the riffs i've brought up at band practice and he can't give me any examples. It's pissing me off. It wouldn't be considered off beat if i just muted one of my notes?

If you're playing muted notes then that's more on the side of staccato. Being syncopated has to do with your rhythmic skills. You're practically just landing off beat if you're syncopated, but if he's implying that you're syncopated because you're playing muffled notes then I don't really know what he's going on about..

Watch this whole video reggae is a very syncopated style of music. Maybe you'll understand what it means to be syncopated from this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f73TICkFKE

Link ^
Quote by Black_devils
If you're playing muted notes then that's more on the side of staccato. Being syncopated has to do with your rhythmic skills. You're practically just landing off beat if you're syncopated, but if he's implying that you're syncopated because you're playing muffled notes then I don't really know what he's going on about..

Watch this whole video reggae is a very syncopated style of music. Maybe you'll understand what it means to be syncopated from this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f73TICkFKE

Link ^

Thanks for the help, next time i hear him say i play syncopated i'm going to consider it as an insult.

I don't play anything like that guy in the video.
Quote by 75mm
Thanks for the help, next time i hear him say i play syncopated i'm going to consider it as an insult.

I don't play anything like that guy in the video.

I agree that you should take it as an insult because the guy obviously doesn't know what he's talking about. Just know that being syncopated isn't bad if anything it's something to aim for. It makes your guitar playing more dynamic, and unpredictable. Crap even some of the best guitar players are syncopated.

Last edited by Black_devils at Jun 22, 2015,