Right now I am using an engl powerball II, but only use it to power my pod hd500, so I feel like it's a bit pointless to keep it. I was hoping people who are accustom to power amps could recommend me a transparent amp to use in conjunction with my pod. I mainly play metal and shred stuff. Price is no worry but I don't want to pay over 2000.

I'm looking to get a really clean liquid smooth lead sound (like Jason Richardson) and aggressive heavily gated rhythm tone. I pretty much have them for the most part but feel like they could be improved. Should I look in Engl's power amps.

Also, if I used a power amp, would I still need to do the 4 CM or would I be able to use just 2 cables?
Gear:
Dean RC7X (Bareknuckle Coldsweat pickups)
Ibanez Rg2570Z (Bareknuckle Juggernaughts)
Schecter KM-6
Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid 7 String
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Never look into power amps from guitar amps manufacturers.
ENGL, mesa, marshal...
All are overpriced, average quality pieces of gear.

To do what you want you simply need a powerful power amp.

If you want mono you'll need 1 cable, if you want stereo you'll need 2.

I recommend the yamy P2500S.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Why does it need to be "powerful"? I didn't really understand that. I also should have mentioned that I would prefer tube.
Gear:
Schecter KM-6
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by amonamarthmetal
Why does it need to be "powerful"? I didn't really understand that.
To produce serious low end, which you said you wanted (aggressive heavily gated rhythm tone), you need power.
It's as simple as that.
Quote by amonamarthmetal
I also should have mentioned that I would prefer tube.
Why?
You said you wanted something transparent...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
The Carvin DCM200L will run at 200W in 8o or 16o in bridged mono mode. You need to be careful with running power amps through guitar cabs because most power amps can easily destroy guitar speakers via overpowering. Most cases there won't be an issue with the volume kept reasonable, but all it takes is for the volume to accidentally be all the way up when you fire it up.

Carvin also makes the TS100 tube poweramp which runs at 100W bridge mono, but it might not be what you actually want if you are into aggressive heavily gated rhythm, like you say. An SS power amp should be tighter and cleaner.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Well then I guess I'll try out the Yamaha if tube isn't the way to go. I appreciate the recommendations. Would there be the problem of overpowering with the Yamaha blowing speakers in my cabinet? Or just if I had it at immense volumes?
Gear:
Schecter KM-6
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'll pretty much say the opposite of Spambot on this one. Look into Carvin's tube power amps, Engl is also a good choice. Mesa tube power amps are also excellent. Some other manufacturers used: Peavey 50/50 Classic, Marshall 9200 Monobloc.

Speaking from experience, those will be my first choice...would not go solid state or PA amp on this purchase as you need to inject some nonlinearity to pleasantly affect your digital signal. It is a small touch of color but well worth it IMO.

As far as this forum is concerned, seems like Spambot2 and I are pretty much diametrically opposed on most things
Last edited by diabolical at Jun 13, 2015,
Quote by amonamarthmetal
Well then I guess I'll try out the Yamaha if tube isn't the way to go. I appreciate the recommendations. Would there be the problem of overpowering with the Yamaha blowing speakers in my cabinet? Or just if I had it at immense volumes?

One side of the Yamaha will put out 250W-275W at 8o. Your cab is rated for 240W. I'd call that a pretty safe matchup, not worth freaking out over. You shouldn't ever be cranking it that high anyway. Bridge mono on the Yamaha puts out 620W-780W at 8o though, so you definitely don't want to do that.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I've got a Carvin TS-100 -- 50W/50W stereo tube amp that can be bridged for 100W mono.

But Spambot has a point. If you want good bottom end, you need two things: A power amp that will put out enough power to generate bottom end, and speakers (in the right cabinets) capable of producing bottom.

One fairly decent power amp (I'm not going to be pushing a brand, here) that I've been using is the Carvin HD1500, which weighs about 9 lbs, runs about $320, and will put out power, depending on the load, in the following amounts:

OUTPUT POWER
1 CHANNEL RMS continuous
- 8 ohms: 300 watts
- 4 ohms: 500 watts
- 2 ohms: 800 watts
BOTH CH RMS continuous
- 8 ohms: 210/210 watts
- 4 ohms: 400/400 watts
- 2 ohms: 700/700 watts
BRIDGED RMS continuous
- 8 ohms bridged: 800 watts
- 4 ohms bridged: 1400 watts

You may not want to use a "guitar" cabinet that's incapable of producing clean bottom (this includes most 4x12s). I'd suggest a full-range flat response cabinet. There are a lot of these on the market, generally masquerading as PA or full-range Bass cabinets. I'm using both fEARfull 15/6/1 and fEARless F115 cabinets, designed by David Green. You can probably google them for more information.