I've had the 2i4 for a few years now and absolutely love it. So I placed the order to upgrade to the 18i20 today. I saw the 18i20 has the ADAT (I believe it was called) for more preamps or inputs, but I don't remember seeing an out for that on my 2i4. Can I have both interfaces plugged in and running at the same time?
Gear:
Fender Telecaster w/ Dual Gibson Humbuckers
Ovation Celebrity Acoustic/Electric
Fender Frontman 212R
Band(s):
Old Too Young (Folk/Bluegrass/Punk)
The Orange Line (Stoner Metal/Punk/Alternative)
IIRC, you can use both interfaces simultaneously via USB because they use the same driver anyway. If I'm wrong then no you can't as the 2i4 lacks ADAT (just checked on mine right next to me)
I don't have a clue about how the driver works, you may or you may not be able to use both interfaces if you connect them both to your computer via USB.

For sure tho you can't connect the 2i4 to the 18i20 'cause it doesn't have an ADAT out.
To add more i/o channels to the 18i20 you need something with an ADAT output.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I talked to customer service. There's no way to do it. Thanks though, guys. Anyone looking for a 2i4?
Gear:
Fender Frontman 212R
Band(s):
If you're on a mac tho you could simply open the audio/midi setup and create an "aggregate device".

That will work but latency will be a limit.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Unfortunately, I am on PC.
Now the search for additional inputs via ADAT. I'm really new to this studio gear thing. I see racks full of stuff which I don't understand. As of right now all I can see me needing is my interface, and now a mic pre strip. Which for some reason one mic pre costs as much as my 18i20 by the same company.
Gear:
Fender Frontman 212R
Band(s):
From what I remember Behringer and Presonus each had a 8 chan. preamp that worked via ADAT, these can be bought quite cheaply used. Believe it or not, but the Behringer stuff was quite decent for what it was.
I think Focusrite also made one (Octopre) that had 8 ADAT inputs with built in compression / leveler, I remember studio I was at had one in Studio B and was a nice clean preamp.
The new one is $500 from what I saw, the old one could probably be bought for $300.