http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sTI1bhk-aCw

Before I had a problem with string sound, now I have a silence problem. It has that fuzzy sound when it picks up the guitar. I recorded this in a warehouse with little to no noise at all. I can't win for losing. Please help identify what this is actually called and how to avoid it. The beginning bangs or scrapes are me moving the pedestal the phone was on while playing.

Ty
Recorded with str8 acoustic, on a cell phone. No amp, just soundhole sound.
I think its the compressor on the mic input of the phone.

Every cell phone has a fast compressor on its input (also known as automatic gain control)

What is happening is that the sound of you guitar turns the gain down, but when the note stops (or gets quiet) the AGC turns the gain up straight away and what you here is the noise generated by the mic and the pre-amp circuit.

Sorry, cell phones are not suitable for recording quiet acoustic guitar.
Quote by PSimonR
I think its the compressor on the mic input of the phone.

Every cell phone has a fast compressor on its input (also known as automatic gain control)

What is happening is that the sound of you guitar turns the gain down, but when the note stops (or gets quiet) the AGC turns the gain up straight away and what you here is the noise generated by the mic and the pre-amp circuit.

Sorry, cell phones are not suitable for recording quiet acoustic guitar.

I think in this case it is the opposite. It's a noise gate on the phone. The hiss is idk what exactly, but just ambient hiss. It sounds when the guitar is playing, not in between. In between it is quiet, because the mic shuts off if nothing is loud enough.

If it was a compressor, the hiss would exaggerate in the quiet parts instead.

But you're right, if you want to record guitar in nice quality, then a cellphone is not a very good choice. If you just want to record it to remember it or something, then it is great.

Of course, it could be both, a compressor crushing the guitar to hiss level and boosting it all, and also gating out in the quiet parts.
Last edited by fingrpikingood at Jun 13, 2015,
Ty guys, makes sense, maybe some constsnt ambient noise will help. I wish I could really record, but for now, doing the best with what I have.

Thanks again!!