I own a cheap solid state amp (yea, I know what you think) Marshall MG 15 CFX

The problem is that this amp has no line out and the only way to record it is with microphone but I absolutely hate microphone recording.. I was wondering if there is a way to emulate a line out or whatever? I just want to record my amp but microphone wont work for me
1 - you don't want to record that amp.

2 - How are you recording?

Assuming you're using an interface & software based DAW, you will be better off using amp sims. Read the stickies for info.

EDIT: Just realised you posted this in the wrong place. It should be in the Recording forum, which is where the stickies I mentioned are located.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Well I thought adding a line out to an amp is supposed to be gear customizing and that's what this section is for. If I'm wrong then apologies.

I record using my mic but it sounds crappy because of the size of my room. I can hear pick plucking on the recording which is completely no good.

I'm checking out the sticky right now. I need an audio interface for this to work right?
If you want to use a PC for recording, yes. An interface is a must have. And like I said, if you go that route you'll get a far better sound by using amp sims.

That's also why you need to focus on the recording side of what you're attempting. Yes, adding a line out to your amp would count as customising, but it would also count as completely worthless with the amp you've got.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by nitrousable
Well I thought adding a line out to an amp is supposed to be gear customizing and that's what this section is for. If I'm wrong then apologies.

I record using my mic but it sounds crappy because of the size of my room. I can hear pick plucking on the recording which is completely no good.

I'm checking out the sticky right now. I need an audio interface for this to work right?

what mic?

Most likely it sounds bad because the MG15 is not a good sounding amp.

+1 GaryBillington
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jun 13, 2015,
I don't really know what mic model is that but I know it is a condenser one and is pretty old.
Honestly though, I find that my amp sounds pretty good to my ears but it sounds like complete ass on the recording. And I really cannot afford another amp right now due to my financial difficulties. I guess a solution would be playing really loud to eliminate the plucking sound but I cannot due to thin walls and mad neighbours. So in the end I have 2 options
first is to buy another microphone and hope it wont pick up the pluck sound
second is to install a line out on the amp but I don't know how...
Or the third is to set yourself up with some proper equipment for recording and use amp sims which will sound 1,000,000 x better than your current amp.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Try using the headphone jack as your line out.

Just an FYI...Most small practice amps headphone jacks are made to double as the line out.
Last edited by Way Cool JR. at Jun 14, 2015,