Hey, I made a post about a weird feedback/humming/screeching I was getting the other day but nobody could figure out what it was. I'm going to try a new cable to see if it's that as the noise is happening with 3 amps and 3 guitars.

What's a good cable? My current cables make a crackling sound when I move them but they looked decent. I got them from ebay uk. Any advice would be appreciated!
There are several recent threads on the subkect of cables. If your current cables are all making a crackling sound, chances are good that the jacks on either your amps or guitars have loose or dirty connections. If it's just one cable and everything else is having the same results, then you should check your cable for breaks/shorts/loose connections.

Almost any of the higher quality cables at the local guitar stores should give you good results, but don't overspend; there's simply not that much benefit in doing so.

I make my own cables with bulk Canare cable and Neutrik ends. The resulting cables are easily as good or better than most of the "lifetime warranty" cables on the market, and they're half to a third the cost. Lifetime warranty cables don't last longer than other cables, but they make the companies more money (because most people actually do NOT trade them in when they go bad, but buy a new one) when they pocket the extra charge for the "warranty." And guitar stores love them because they get customers back into the store, where it's likely they'll spend more money rather than JUST getting the cable replaced.
Thanks for the replies, I might buy a set of jacks and a roll of cable then. I'll need a lot of cables soon, plus a lot of cables to daisy chain pedals.

It isn't the jacks on the guitars or the leads, it's crackling when I move the actual cable part, mid cable, like if I move the rolled up part on the floor it just crackles. I've never experienced this type of humming and interference before. I'm recording in the same location I did a few years ago and nothing has changed, just a weird sound has appeared and it seems to be worse on a Fender Jaguar HH than anything else.

I'll take a look at Planet Waves American Stage and then look into making my own. This humming is getting in the way of me recording. It's seriously bothering me.
Last edited by CowLoon at Jun 13, 2015,
Sorry for reviving this thread, but I thought I should let people know that I fixed the humming. It was the lead after all, so if anyone is having the same problem just try a new cable.

Thanks for the Planet Waves American Stage recommendation in particular, I got one and holy crap, even when I plug into my PC (which is where the ridiculous screeching was worst) with single coils the sound is perfect, just the single coil hum that's to be expected. With humbuckers it's silent so I can finally use my Jaguar properly. Just goes to show that you shouldn't buy cheap with cables. I've read so much saying that a dollar cable is the same as a one hundred dollar one. Not true.

So thanks!
i think the consensus is that the cheapo stuff is generally garbage, but once you hit the decent quality level (normally starting around £10-£20 per cable, though not every cable costing that amount of money is good) there's not a whole heap of point in paying much more.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i think the consensus is that the cheapo stuff is generally garbage, but once you hit the decent quality level (normally starting around £10-£20 per cable, though not every cable costing that amount of money is good) there's not a whole heap of point in paying much more.

Yeah, that's the rule I stick to with pretty much everything. Get mid-high. Low quality is generally a waste of money. It's just that there was all that "controversy" over monster cables and so on so I went cheap thinking I didn't want to be ripped off. At least I know now.
^ yeah that's the problem- you have to treat each case on its own merits, just because one company's expensive stuff was a rip doesn't mean it all is. Some cheap stuff is remarkably good considering how cheap it is, while other cheap stuff is just garbage and a waste of money. Conversely some expensive stuff is worth what you pay for it and is much better than the cheap stuff, while some is just chancers asking you to pay an arm and a leg for stuff which is no better than the cheap stuff. Even the mid-range/mid-high stuff you talk about has varying quality, some is almost as good as the (good) high-end stuff, while some is little better than the cheapo stuff.

Makes it very difficult to come to a decision about what to buy, unfortunately.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ive been using Carson Cable Co cables for a few years, cannot fault them at all. No noise, just the sound of someone playing guitar really really badly.
Quote by CowLoon
What's a good cable? My current cables make a crackling sound when I move them but they looked decent. I got them from ebay uk. Any advice would be appreciated!

Well; if price is an indicator, then the finest cable on the planet earth has to be the Alessandro Instrument Pro 20-foot cable. It sells for...hang onto yourself...US$1,999.95!

http://www.alessandro-products.com/cables-inst.html

And they've been selling this thing for at least ten years now!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley