I've been thinking about making and selling sustainers for a summer job. Just wanting to know if people would actually buy them before I place a huge order for the parts Mine works the same as the fernandez or sutaianiac, it has a normal and harmonic mode. Any feedback would be great!
Quote by Draco H.
Any feedback would be great!

Heheh

If you can make a working sustainer for significantly less than what Fernandes or Sustainiac charge, I feel like there's almost certainly a market for it on ebay. If it costs about the same, you probably won't sell any.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
buying factory direct (or from thailand/china) all the capacitors and all it can be fun, my mark up on custom wiring harnesses is insane that I can make on a good month. But like k33nbl4d3 said if it isn't cheaper either people won't give it the time of day as the two biggest markets in my experience is beginner/intermediate guitarists and guys looking for ways to spend their old age pension cheques. This isn't to say there is a lot of in betweens and professional musicians getting say floyd roses routed on guitars , scalloping fretboards or doing anything extreme though so I'm not talking down on anyone by any means I'm just observant and don't sugar coat anything.

my advice is simple coming from a guy who has made a ton of money on ebay. Ask yourself what separates yours from the competition as one side of marketing is all about the pull factor. Add an extra feature you can see being used and make people go wow and run out with their pay cheque.

an active gain preamp powered by a push pull or an onboard distortion can't be that expensive to make. I'd start off with that to test the waters and see where it goes. Just remember to use youtube and googles "moneterization" to your advantage (ad revenue can be a source of income too). I like youtubes ad revenue because you post the video once and you'll be making revenue off it long after you're dead. or google stops caring haha.. if you did do youtube videos to showcase it get a guitarist you're friends with that can play really well and compare your product to something else and or use different styles and different yet unoriginal guitars to cater towards the most people as that is what you want like how many dean razorback players are there vs les paul , telecaster or RG players . Shipping is a breeze and just have fun and make something as original as possible. If you want any tips though for marketing which in ways is a specialty of mine send me a message.
Quote by Draco H.
I've been thinking about making and selling sustainers for a summer job. Just wanting to know if people would actually buy them before I place a huge order for the parts Mine works the same as the fernandez or sutaianiac, it has a normal and harmonic mode. Any feedback would be great!

I have sustainers on several guitars. Perhaps the better question is "why would I buy a non-established brand with an unproven track record." These things can be notoriously finicky at times. Sell me.
Yeah they would be significantly cheaper than fernandez or sustainiac.. I was thinking about selling them for 100-150. I do normally buy parts from tayda but I would also need to order pickup parts and wire from stewmac.. When I made mine it was really hard to find any information on them so I just improvised and wired a switch to simply disconnect the battery from the circuit and it worked fine, no popping. Plus, you don't need to install a stereo jack.
The onboard distortion is a good idea, I've also made and installed a fuzz factory in the same guitar (you can tell I'm a muse fan)
Last edited by Draco H. at Jun 14, 2015,