I got a strat and I want it to sound more tele like, its HSS configuration, and I removed the vibrato bar and drill the bridge down flat on the body, and then I have the neck and bridge pups wired so they work together. What else can I do to get a more tele sound?
Last edited by jrbulifant at Jun 14, 2015,
i'm guessing you have a coil split on the bridge humbucker?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah a coilsplit would help big time in the bridge. If so a 7 way mod using a DPDT mini toggle (on/on) doing the 7 way mod would work too.

so with the 7 way mod / coilsplit you'd be getting these 3 tele sounding tones.
*split in the bridge - similar to a tele sound
*7 way mod engaged using the outer 2 pickups is similar to the middle , the bonus is you can use all 3 pickups at the same time too. David Gilmour is famous for this mod.
*neck being a 2 wire single coils your last tele sound

250k pots are a must, 0.022uf capacitors and all you probably already have. a 500k volume pot I'd suggest if your guitar isnt' bright enough.
for more "twang" as the kids say without going into pedals or modeling amps if both the bridge/neck were 4 wire I'd do an out of phase mod.

for that classic tele sound that everyone drools from in the 50s. Hmm.. if it's a maple fretboard / neck I'd mess around with string type (not brand) steel will give you that brighter sound you'd be after. If the guitar needs to be warmed up try pure nickel strings too like ernie ball or dunlop makes, dunlop also reissued some picks like what they made in the 60s or so because strings and picks matter big time. Lets face it a pack of picks and a new set of strings isn't going to break the bank, 10-20-ish cents tops a pick here. I've been wanting to try out the graphtech ones myself. But back to strings as I edit this pure nickle is what came first. Nickle plated steel if memory serves me right was D'Addario claim to fame. I think the CEO mentioned it in an interview talking about their NYXL strings.

in fact there is a seymour duncan pickup called the twangbanger that you can try, not sure how they would pair with your other pickups. The tele pickups I see are around 6k so anything around 12k is what I'd try for and coilsplit it. This is the twnagbanger pickup I remember Joe Gore (tonefiend on youtube) playing it and he really liked it. He's one of the only guys on youtube I follow as it isn't just hype about new pickups and all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRzr1j1aKiA

but tele vs strat to get that fullness out of a strat it's not going to be easy. I'd suggest some heavy brass parts, a graphtech tusq nut (or brass , or bone) and or a quality tremolo system (perhaps the guitarfetish one) in place of the stock one to really push the guitar further. Why I'm saying brass parts is to compensate for all the wood scooped out of the strat versus the tele having the strings right through the body.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Jun 14, 2015,
Uhm what's a coil split? Is that the 7 way wiring? All I did was switch the neck and middle pup wires to get the outside ones to work together.
My switch goes in the 1 position for neck pup, 3 pos for bridge and 5 for middle, with sumbsiding pup combinations
Well I wash trying to get a sound similar to the thinline, I should've mentioned that
^ the thinline with wide range humbuckers?

are you talking about the modern reissues or the vintage models?

and yeah as tony said, a coil split just shuts one of the coils off, leaving you (more or less) with a single coil pickup. Not exactly the same (since Fender single coils use alnico magnets as the polepieces while humbuckers use bar magnets underneath the pickup and steel polepieces which are magnetised by said magnets, so the construction isn't identical), but it does get you a lot closer to a single coil tone than using the full (series-wired) humucker with both coils active.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ok, thanks

it just has regular humbuckers under bigger covers, as far as i'm aware. fairly low output and fairly bright.

what pickup do you have in there now?

EDIT: also for the neck pickup that'll be awkward with HSS. You can either try wiring the middle and neck pickups in series to give a sort of pseudo-humbucker tone- sort of the direct opposite of doing the coil split on a humbucker, this way you're trying to make single coils behave like a humbucker but again you have the problem that the construction isn't identical, plus their position on the guitar isn't the same (they're further apart), but again in the absence of anything better it should get you closer than you currently are- or you can maybe put a single coil-sized humbucker into the neck position. I haven't tried any of the lower output options, though (i'm guessing a duncan lil '59 might be worth a try, but I haven't tried it myself).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 14, 2015,
Well if I ran the middle and neck in series, without any switches just using the pup selector, can I use to where if i put it in the middle pup pos. the middle can still be on its own, but if I put it in the neck pos. Have the middle and neck in series?
I'm not sure. Wiring isn't my strong suit

You can certainly do that with more involved wiring/switches, push-pulls etc., but it sounds like you're already aware of that.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?