So my good friend and i are looking at playing guitar in a show coming up soon. But neither of us can sing and we can't find anyone to sing for us.

So could anyone help us out on how to translate song lyrics into guitar notes?
We are looking at doing When i come around by Green Day.
So if you feel like being an absolute legend you could tab it out for us.

Any tips or advice is welcome!
I think you mean the vocal melody and not the lyrics, unless you plan on using Morse code. I would suggest that you give it a try yourself first, since it is good practice to learn things by ear. You already know the song, so you should know the key and chords. If you figure that most of the notes will fit into that key and many notes are likely chord tones (ie if they are playing a G chord it is likely that the melody over it will contain G, B, or D, particularly at the end of a phrase). Give it an honest try since it will help in the long run, and if you really can't get it (ie don't just give up after two minutes) you can try asking again and I am sure somebody will help.

Or you could ignore my advice and look at the Guitar Pro tabs for the song on this site since those often have the melody tabbed out and it's a popular enough band that there is probably one with the vocals included.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Just listen to the song. Can you sing the melody (in pitch, it doesn't need to sound great)? Just match the pitches you sing on your guitar.

Singing melody is no different from a guitar melody or a sax melody or whatever. You can play the same notes on any instrument and it will sound like the same melody.

So do it similarly as if you were trying to learn a guitar melody or riff by ear.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
^That. Also punk can be tough, if you're struggling you could try for a more "singier" song.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Quote by Jet Penguin
^That. Also punk can be tough, if you're struggling you could try for a more "singier" song.

While I would agree that punk is difficult for that sort of excercise due to the often dissonant and non-melodic vocals, Green Day, like most pop punk bands, has very melodic vocals rather than the type of vocals you would find in maybe street punk for example.

Also trying a different sing wouldn't do much good since his primary goal is to learn that specific song rather than learn how transcribe vocal melodies by ear. That's more of a bonus really.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Right, I just meant for performance purposes, it's not a very mellifluous melody.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Can you read sheet music?

Most of the sheet music will have the guitar parts tabbed as well as the sheet music but will also have the vocal melody. Of course because tab is only appropriate to guitar none of the other instruments or vocals are written in tab.

The ability to read sheet music can come in handy sometimes. You don't have to be able to sight read, just know the notes on the staff and where to find them on your guitar for the most part.

There are places you can buy sheet music online, or you could use a tab book - check your local library or get one from your local music shop.

Of course if you work it out yourself that's the best way.
Si
Thanks for the advice guys, but my "friend" changed his mind about doing the show
Still this would be a great skill to have and will still be a great thing to learn.
Any suggestions of songs that might be easier to learn as opposed to Green Day?
Quote by 20Tigers
Can you read sheet music?

Most of the sheet music will have the guitar parts tabbed as well as the sheet music but will also have the vocal melody. Of course because tab is only appropriate to guitar none of the other instruments or vocals are written in tab.

The ability to read sheet music can come in handy sometimes. You don't have to be able to sight read, just know the notes on the staff and where to find them on your guitar for the most part.

There are places you can buy sheet music online, or you could use a tab book - check your local library or get one from your local music shop.

Of course if you work it out yourself that's the best way.

^that's what I was going to suggest. Just learning to read sheet music to a level that you can figure out melodies on the guitar without tab shouldn't be super hard, and is a skill you should probably get anyway. Almost every guitar tab book I've ever seen also has vocal harmonies transcribed along with the lyrics (and often piano parts as well, if there's a piano). Knowing how to read that has helped me to learn things that weren't originally on guitar countless times.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Quote by Mentos199
Thanks for the advice guys, but my "friend" changed his mind about doing the show
Still this would be a great skill to have and will still be a great thing to learn.
Any suggestions of songs that might be easier to learn as opposed to Green Day?

Any song whose melody you know by heart (ie, you don't need to listen to it to know exactly how it goes). Start with them.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115