Hi All,

I haven't used my Randall head for a while, so I decided to plug it in and give it a quick blast earlier. Problem is, there's no sound..

There is an electrical hum coming from the speakers when the amp is turned, but no other sound whatsoever. I've turned all of the volumes and gains right up to see if there was any kind of hiss, but nothing, only what sounds like electrical hum.

I've tried changing guitars, cables, cabs and speaker cables all to no avail. I figured before I take this to a tech, I'd see what community might have in mind to save me some money!

Any ideas at all guys?

I can probably change the tubes if I nick them out of my Bugera, but I can't say I'd be massively comfortable doing that unless that really is the only thing left to test.

TL;DR - amp hums, no hiss, tried changing things, what do?

Thanks guys!
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
Quote by Unholy.Daemon
I can probably change the tubes if I nick them out of my Bugera, but I can't say I'd be massively comfortable doing that unless that really is the only thing left to test.
Why would you be uncomfortable doing that?

Anyway yeah, your amp sounds like it has power tubes issues.

Change them all just to be sure if you're able to.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
As long as the tubes in the other amp are the correct ones, it shouldn't hurt to try them.

Also if it's been sitting for a while it could have dirty jacks, make sure it's unplugged and squirt some contact cleaner into the jacks, plug and unplug a jack a few times then try it again. Ditto for switches, if the standby switch is dirty it can do the same thing. The ground reverse switch in my Peavey MX causes mine to go dead now and then but it makes no noise at all. Same thing, grab the contact cleaner...

If that doesn't do the trick, all I can say is have a tech look at it. (I'd suggest plugging in a speaker but if you hear a hum that's already done...)

diabolical hit on something I should have thought of, reseating the tubes is a good idea, you can also use contact cleaner on the tube sockets, but let it sit and dry for a half hour to be absolutely sure it's dried out. Contact cleaner should only take a minute or two and shouldn't hurt anything inside, but make sure you have it unplugged, and let it dry for a while to be on the safe side. You can also use contact cleaner on the tube pins instead, plug and unplug them a few times.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Last edited by Paleo Pete at Jun 14, 2015,
Quote by Spambot_2
Why would you be uncomfortable doing that?

Anyway yeah, your amp sounds like it has power tubes issues.

Change them all just to be sure if you're able to.

Never changed them before, so I'm not really sure how to go about it tbh!

Quote by diabolical
Did you plug in the fx return and try if you get signal from there?

Did you check fuses?

Try reseating tubes, then swap the preamp tubes one by one with a spare.

Then onto power tubes...

There's no signal from the FX loop at all, tried plugging a tuner into the loop and it's not picking up anything.
The only fuse I can get to is the mains fuse and there's no problem with that one.

Quote by Paleo Pete
As long as the tubes in the other amp are the correct ones, it shouldn't hurt to try them.

Annoyingly the other amp has 6L6's in, and this takes EL34's, so I don't want to mess about putting the wrong tubes in.

So I'm kind of stuck without taking it to a tech, unless you've got any other suggestions?

Thanks for the help!

EDIT; There's no glow on the tubes at all and they're not even warm to the touch, so by my guess that means the heater fuse has blown?
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
Last edited by Unholy.Daemon at Jun 15, 2015,
check your HT fuse if you feel comfortable.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/