I'm looking to spend around $400 to give an 8 string a shot, maybe up to $500 if the difference is worth it. I currently play an Ibanez S series 6 string with an EMG 81/S/81 setup. I really like the wizard II neck. I was never interested in playing an 8 string until I heard the band Allegaeon so that is the style I'm looking to play. The guitars I'm seeing as options are Ibanez RGs, Agile Septors, ESP 208, 338, and Stephen Carpenter, Schecter Omen, and Jackson JS32. Anybody have any recommendations? Any thoughts on these or alternatives would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by o2w4e at Jun 14, 2015,
At that price range, you're not going to get a lot of variety. Anything around that price by any of those brands is most likely going to have stock pickups, which you'll likely want to replace eventually. Build quality is going to be similar across the board. Really all that'll really matter is the neck shape, and how comfortable it is to you. Try them before you buy, if possible. If not, get what you think looks cool. Sound and build quality aren't going to make much of a difference at that price point. Personally, I'd recommend a Schecter, just because I've got lots of experience with them, and they're quite solid for the price, especially in that range. Plus they'll almost certainly have a better factory setup than any of the other brands you mentioned. But even so, that's almost just a matter of convenience. Assuming nothing is actually broken, a bad factory setup can be easily fixed. So yeah, just get whatever looks cool to you.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
If your in the USA check these out some of the best deals you will find for a new 8 string. even leaves you room in your budget to put some good pickups in it
www.rondomusic.com/8StringGuitars.html
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Agile's the way to go in that price range.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
The Ibanez RG8 is a fantastic value. I'd take one over an Agile no question. Agile necks are way too chunky IMO. The RG8 is slick to play (as slick as an 8 string can get, I guess). The stock pups on the 8 are actually usable too, surprisingly.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'm an Ibby guy and I definitely say Agile over an RG8. The pickups in the RG8 are stale at best. They're actually bass pickups (and 28k Resistance or something crazy like that). Plus the 27" scale leaves something to be desired as far as string tension is concerned.

The Rondo Cepheus pickup is supposed to be a cheaper clone of a Lundgren M8 and will get you about 90% there. The quality is pretty good and you can get a longer scale at your budget. Agile all the way.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
An agile would be better as far as specs but ibanez actually has quality control. Depends if you want to have to mod a cheap ibanez or possibly return the agile multiple times until you get one without serious flaws.
Quote by Wormholes
An agile would be better as far as specs but ibanez actually has quality control. Depends if you want to have to mod a cheap ibanez or possibly return the agile multiple times until you get one without serious flaws.

Agile QC is pretty damn good from my and others experiences with them. I'm not a fan of Ibanez at all.

So how many Agiles have you played?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Wormholes

I'm guessing that your comment has nothing to do with your ever having owned (or ordered) an Agile. I've got four and haven't had to return one. And I've never sold one.

The benefit of picking up an Ibanez is that you get to see what you're getting (if you KNOW what you're looking at) at the store. Hopefully. The detriment of buying an Ibanez at the store is that you're paying an extra layer of profit taking (by the brick and mortar) and getting less guitar for the same money.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Agile QC is pretty damn good from my and others experiences with them. I'm not a fan of Ibanez at all.

So how many Agiles have you played?

None but that doesn't matter. Yes people get lucky and get good ones out of the box. But there's tons of people out there who get them with serious issues.
So you've never played an Agile, and you've never ordered one, and you've never owned one, but you're the Agile QC expert? Gtfo lol.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

Oh ok you know how to google something, cool. You still have zero experience with the company. Newsflash: unless you're ordering from a custom shop, or spending $2500+ on a guitar to be mailed to you, EVERY guitar company out there has hits and misses with straight-from-the-factory instruments. PRS have been mailed with flaws. Gibsons have been mailed with some serious flaws. Fenders have been mailed with flaws. In fact the only company i really haven't heard of mailing out flawed guitars fresh from the factory is EBMM.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

Quote by Wormholes

We do appreciate your ability to find this.
Internet hearsay is always more valuable than the experience of people who've actually dealt with the company in question.

Here's what you'll find on Ibanez, should you be interested.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=Ibanez+guitars+quality+control
Last edited by dspellman at Jun 15, 2015,
Quote by Wormholes
None but that doesn't matter. Yes people get lucky and get good ones out of the box. But there's tons of people out there who get them with serious issues.

So you know absolutely nothing about them other than their name

Agile make/ship very nice guitars, their QC is way above any major Co. I have ever seen (at their price point), And if you do get a dud, they actually make it right if you haven't read that yet.

I am far from an Agile fanboy but they have a ni8ce guitar at a insane price compared to others.

Chec k out these guys also great prices for what you get

www.ravenwestguitar.com/
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Acϵ♠
Oh ok you know how to google something, cool. You still have zero experience with the company. Newsflash: unless you're ordering from a custom shop, or spending $2500+ on a guitar to be mailed to you, EVERY guitar company out there has hits and misses with straight-from-the-factory instruments. PRS have been mailed with flaws. Gibsons have been mailed with some serious flaws. Fenders have been mailed with flaws. In fact the only company i really haven't heard of mailing out flawed guitars fresh from the factory is EBMM.

+1 but leave PRS out of it, never seen a bad one yet in 20+ yrs
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks for the suggestions guys, going to play a couple of these later.
Quote by Wormholes

That's awesome, when did you buy one to see what QC is really like?

You've never had one , so STFU

2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Acϵ♠
In fact the only company i really haven't heard of mailing out flawed guitars fresh from the factory is EBMM.

And that's because they don't keep the guitars in warehouses waiting for buyers. They don't even make them until they've been ordered, either by a dealer or a direct buyer. So when someone gets one direct, the factory builders are the last people to touch it before the customer, and they know that. So they never let any flaws go.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Quote by Robbgnarly
+1 but leave PRS out of it, never seen a bad one yet in 20+ yrs

I used to be a tech for a small local guitar shop. One summer they started selling PRS. I got 4 instruments in 2 months with some nasty problems, everything from bowed necks to loose machine heads to an improperly screwed-in toggle switch that jiggled all over the place. Three of those four were SE/S models, but still. I was flabbergasted, because i'd only ever had positive personal experiences with PRS guitars but that was earlier in the CE and CU days. I started to dread PRS shipments because they became a pain in the ass to set up for the wall, and i found them very temperamental and sensitive to temperature and humidity changes.

The bottom line is that while i do like PRS guitars, and i think they bring something invaluably unique from everyone else in their market, i think as a company they passed their prime the moment they started moving downmarket, although the guitars they put out prior to the rise of the SE series were some of the best guitars around for under $1500. EBMM, like mentioned, have maintained the same standard they've always had. I can't say the same for PRS, or Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Peavey, or Yamaha. All the major manufacturers now have seemed to abandon any high standard for QC. Coincidence a lot of them share asian plants now?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

Last edited by Acϵ♠ at Jun 16, 2015,
Quote by Acϵ♠

The bottom line is that while i do like PRS guitars, and i think they bring something invaluably unique from everyone else in their market, i think as a company they passed their prime the moment they started moving downmarket, although the guitars they put out prior to the rise of the SE series were some of the best guitars around for under $1500. EBMM, like mentioned, have maintained the same standard they've always had. I can't say the same for PRS, or Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Peavey, or Yamaha. All the major manufacturers now have seemed to abandon any high standard for QC. Coincidence a lot of them share asian plants now?

It's not the Asian manufacturing, necessarily (though you've gotta remember that the sell price at a GC is 6-10X what the company pays for those guitars). Most of these companies simply shuffle the guitars on without inspection. Schecter seems to be an exception; they, at least, inspect and set up the guitars in Burbank before sending them on to local dealers.

There's also this: an Asian sourced guitar completes a 6500 mile (roughly...er...from Korea) trip on the water, arrives at an import storage facility, then goes to a chain guitar store fulfillment center, then goes to the retail store, where it can hang on a wall and be subjected to screwithage in a dried-out air-conditioned environment for up to a year and a half before actually being sold.

Gibsons over $3500, PRS over $2500 and the higher end Fenders generally have fewer issues (though they still have them). Shorter trip. Most Variax guitars don't show up in the stores at all; they come direct from the fulfillment centers. I've purchased two and they've been very good. Carvins are custom built for each order and arrive within 5-7 days of completion and are usually still in tune when they arrive.

I've put $200 B-stock Agiles on the PLEK machine right next to $4K Gibson Custom-shop guitars, and both have been excellent for years after they've had a good initial setup.
Exactly, the long trip and constantly changing conditions are why im willing to give most companies some slack for asian made guitars. But i mean team j craft is usually real anal about that kind of stuff and plan for it before they ship. So were the big japanese factories in the late 70s, 80s and early 90s. So when i see Gibson or PRS or Fender or other manufacturers that are MIA with issues i get really irked because honestly there's no excuse. Shipping domestically shouldn't result in flawed instruments that cost several thousand dollars. It is rarer, admittedly, but it still does happen and the reputation is there for a reason.

So a $600 Agile that's shipped from Korea has a couple of minor issues? Big deal. You'll live. But a $2500 Gibson Les Paul shipped from Tennessee? No way. Not acceptable.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

^ I have still never seen a USA made PRS with issues, but I have heard of a few over the years (and by few I mean literally 1 or 2)

EBMM deff has topnotch QC, so does USA made G&L
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate