Sorry if this is a previously answered question, please direct me to the write place if so.

I have 0 wood work or any form of building experience or knowledge, but I would like to learn, specifically to one day make my own guitar. Where do I start in building/modding, whats the first project I should tackle?

thanks for any help.
I'd probably go with a kit build. It won't give you much - if any - help on the woodworking side, but assembling and finishing will get you started on basic stuff like the electronics, finishing. And, since most kits are pretty cheap, there'll be a good reason to mod the shit out of it after, for more experience on that stuff.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'd probably go with a kit build. It won't give you much - if any - help on the woodworking side, but assembling and finishing will get you started on basic stuff like the electronics, finishing. And, since most kits are pretty cheap, there'll be a good reason to mod the shit out of it after, for more experience on that stuff.

I second this. you can find some cool stuff on ebay to throw together too, but it's important to make sure that a) they fit and b) keep the scale length in mind.

work on other woodworking projects before trying anything guitar-wise. woodwork isn't really that hard once you get some experience. but guitars aren't the simplest things to build.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
I would check out WillsEasyGuitar and CrimsonGuitar on YouTube, lots of good videos on all aspects of guitar building.
The kit idea is great for your 1st build
www.byoguitar.com
www.guitarfetish.com both have decent reasonably priced kits 8that are great to learn on
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I would go another way and buy a neck and a blank of wood and go from there. That way you actually have to cut something out. I think with a kit you learn how to bolt a guitar together. Yes the finishing part and wiring is a good learning curve but to me the main part of building a guitar is cutting, routing measuring

When I made my first guitar I got some particle type board and made a body from that. Then I got some "real" wood and re did it that way...I had very little woodworking skills at that point and it was way before the internet was in full swing
^ yes, but if TS has no wood working skills then he probably does not have the tools to make a guitar either. You know a: jigsaw, drill, router for just basic tools. That is over $150 easy for just those tools alone

The kit would give TS a sense of accomplishment and 99.9% chance it will actually be a playable instrument.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
as stated, try a kit just to get your beak wet. you'll start working with your hands. later on if you like this kinda thing then you get some books and start from scratch. i assume electric right? because acoustics are a whole different beast and much harder to build from raw wood.

start repairing guitars as well, this will also help your skill set. as you get further along you'll need to get some tools which won't be cheap. you can buy some basket case guitars and wrench on them with little risk.

a lot of people think you can just get a router and a jig saw and you're good to go, but to do anything with the neck you'll need some specialized kit. you'll need an area to work that's free from pets and kids, and has good light. you'll need to keep an eye on humidity and what to do about it.

also choose your you tube videos carefully, lotta wankers tossing out bad tech on the internet. anything from Dan Erelwine and Erick Coleman though is solid.
Last edited by ad_works at Jun 15, 2015,
Quote by Robbgnarly
^ yes, but if TS has no wood working skills then he probably does not have the tools to make a guitar either. You know a: jigsaw, drill, router for just basic tools. That is over $150 easy for just those tools alone

The kit would give TS a sense of accomplishment and 99.9% chance it will actually be a playable instrument.

I get that, but personally I think he would be better off spending $$ in tools than on a kit. Every man needs tool dude

You know the old saying....give the man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will eat for a life time
Last edited by sytharnia1560 at Jun 16, 2015,
Quote by sytharnia1560
I get that, but personally I think he would be better off spending $$ in tools than on a kit. Every man needs tool dude

You know the old saying....give the man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will eat for a life time

Oh I get what your saying, but your looking at $400+ to make your first guitar then, not really what I'd call a good price to start with
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate