I have played through a combo amp mostly and have never used a speaker/amp head before. I am looking into purchasing a speaker and my question is, do I need an amp head or can I just use (for example) a 1x12 speaker. I have a line 6 pod x3 live multi effects processor that would handle any effects distortion, delay, etc.
Quote by Music_Speaks96
I have played through a combo amp mostly and have never used a speaker/amp head before. I am looking into purchasing a speaker and my question is, do I need an amp head or can I just use (for example) a 1x12 speaker. I have a line 6 pod x3 live multi effects processor that would handle any effects distortion, delay, etc.

you will need some way of powering the speaker.

you need a head or poweramp to power the speaker
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
To clarify more on Rob's post:

Amp heads (and combos) have both a preamp and a poweramp built into them. The preamp shapes the tone, and the poweramp makes it audible through a speaker. Your POD is a preamp. Without a poweramp, it won't be audible through a speaker.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
There are numerous options for setting this up. I have a 200 Watt SS state Head & Cabinet. The "Tone Circuit" or pre-amp on the Head is on the nose. So what I do is run my effects/modelling processor straight into the "Effects Return" socket on the head which runs into a 4X12" cabinet with Celestion GT 12's (75 Watt each) sounds way better. very acceptable amp.

You can get a standard head or power block type amp. I have even seen people (mainly bass though) use a PA amplifier. However that can be expensive getting right "high power" guitar cabs to run it (who wants to lug that much gear around?) and you always have to be volume conscious with clipping etc. Plus in most cases you have to use "Balanced" connections from the pod into the power amp. Only do this if you have the gear lying around.

Easier, cheaper and more than enough watts for the first two options