Can I use "defraud" by saying something like "he wanted to defraud the store of its goods" (referring to shoplifting), or is that an incorrect way to use this word? I know that when I think of fraud I'm be more thinking of things like insurance fraud and the like but I thought that "defraud" had a slightly less narrow meaning?
Couldn't you just say "he wanted to shoplift" and be done with it?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
he wanted to beguile them of their goods
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
I'm pretty sure the word "defraud" suggests some sort of deceit or fraud, for lack of a better word.

Even if it works through some obscure, largely unknown, proper use of the word, it might confuse your reader and it looks awkward. I'd use a different word.
Free Ali
Free Lard
Quote by Dregen
wheres eastie when you need him

He's so far on the "descriptivist" end of the spectrum. He'd just tell you to use whatever you want as long as people understand you. I'm also a descriptivist, but I don't know if people would understand that the subject stole something if the author were to write that the subject "defauded" a shop.
Free Ali
Free Lard
wouldn't it be like befraud

like befriend

I befriended chrismendiola and then I befrauded him
(that is I became his friend and then acted fraudulently against him)
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by WNxScythe
Can I use "defraud" by saying something like "he wanted to defraud the store of its goods" (referring to shoplifting), or is that an incorrect way to use this word? I know that when I think of fraud I'm be more thinking of things like insurance fraud and the like but I thought that "defraud" had a slightly less narrow meaning?

Your example seems to be a valid use of the word. Have you heard of this thing called Google?
Quote by Duane_Allman
Your gayer than me, and thats pretty gay.
Quote by Twist of fate
If there's blood on the field, play ball.
[center]
The
e|--3---0---0--|
B|--0---1---0--|
G|--0---2---1--|
D|--0---2---2--|
A|--2---0---2--|
E|--3---x---0--|
You just lost.[/CENTER]