Poll: Which would you do?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which would you do?
Traditional Western marriage (religion, large ceremony, gender roles, etc.)
32 34%
Nontraditional marriage (or non-Western)
28 29%
Long-term relationship without marriage, ala civil union
12 13%
Long-term relationship without any legal recognition
13 14%
I don't believe in monogamy :upto:
10 11%
Voters: 95.
Page 1 of 5
I know that many people in modern society do not really believe in or support the classic idea of marriage. To me, the classic marriage is religious, with many people attending, and with the father of the bride relinquishing his daughter to the groom.

I think that alternative arrangements for long-term relationships are becoming more and more common, which is cool as far as I'm concerned. Gives people more normalized options for their lifestyle

For the record, I was married at the age of 20 in a courthouse, with no religion and our immediate families plus 3 close friends.
My God, it's full of stars!
i don't think either extreme sounds particularly enjoyable. i don't really care though, i'd do whatever my girl wanted :^)

edit: i voted traditional just because i know it'd trigger ug
yeah, my marriage would be whatever she wants, but with a massive drunken party afterwards, even if it was a courthouse wedding.

EDIT: maybe de-facto.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by Pastafarian96
yeah, my marriage would be whatever she wants, but with a massive drunken party afterwards, even if it was a courthouse wedding.

EDIT: maybe de-facto.

Yeah but, what do YOU want. That's the point. None of this anti-misogynistic "whatever she wants :3" nonsense.
Most likely not. If so, only for tax incentive. Also, dowry and all that or whatever its called where it means: I aint paying for that shit
I do want some non traditional/western ceremony. Not to sound cringe but I don't like how people think you need paperwork and government involved if you want to spend the rest of your life with someone. Plus forever is a long time, shit happens. Breakups are shit as it is, no need to make them even more shit and complicated the older you are.
Quote by Dreadnought
Yeah but, what do YOU want. That's the point. None of this anti-misogynistic "whatever she wants :3" nonsense.

honestly dready, im pretty sure i'd get left at the aisle or w/e if i was in charge of setting up a wedding. :-)
Quote by Dreadnought

What do I want?

a ****ing massive drunken party after whatever ceremony we do end up having.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Whatever she wants is my real answer (although if I have to convert to a religion or something idk) but for the sake of the thread what I'd want would either be long term relationship w/o any sort of marriage or a non-traditional wedding with no religious stuff I could go either way not that I've ever been in a position where I'd need to really think about it lol.

Massive drunken party sounds good yeah
"traditional western marriage" is a little outdated now, with the whole gender roles/housewife shit anyway

I don't really understand the question, but I'd like to get married to someone one day. Just to have one big happy day to celebrate two families becoming one and all that shit. I don't mind the tradition to it, its quite nice, but if my future partner didn't want to do it then that'd be fine too. My gf wants to get married one day, and she's pretty into that stuff, so if we're still together in like 10 years time or whatever then we'll probably have a fairly traditional/proper wedding

This isn't from a religious perspective though as neither of our families are religious (as far as I'm aware), its just tradition and stuff
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Quote by Bladez22
"traditional western marriage" is a little outdated now, with the whole gender roles/housewife shit anyway

I don't really understand the question, but I'd like to get married to someone one day. Just to have one big happy day to celebrate two families becoming one and all that shit. I don't mind the tradition to it, its quite nice, but if my future partner didn't want to do it then that'd be fine too. My gf wants to get married one day, and she's pretty into that stuff, so if we're still together in like 10 years time or whatever then we'll probably have a fairly traditional/proper wedding

This isn't from a religious perspective though as neither of our families are religious (as far as I'm aware), its just tradition and stuff

Doesn't have to be religious. I just bundled that with tradition for the ease of the poll
traditional or bust tbh

nothing like spending 40 minutes in a church with 300+ other people during the afternoon anticipating the evening of drunken shenanigans dancing around like goofs unlimited drinks/food and everythink like that ahead of you lets go

so down

Am I the only one who finds it weird when people say "whatever she wants" ?

Anyways, I'd just like to be together with a person forever. No need for anything else. The only reason I'd ponder over marriage is because of its economical benefits, and there are quite a few over here, regardless of how unfair I think of it.

But yeah, if it was simply up to me, I'd like to think two people can live together and love each other and make it through 'til the end without any legal recognition.
I don't believe the gubment has any business regulating relationships, so
Check out my band Disturbed
Yes, I would like to get married eventually, and at least half of it would be a traditional Hindu ceremony. Even though I'm not very religious it would be quite disrespectful to my family not to do this. And the other half would be whatever the guy wants

edit: I picked "traditional Western" in the poll because Hindu weddings are all about gender/family roles and big ceremonies
cat
Last edited by guitarxo at Jun 14, 2015,
should I bump the 'hello?' thread then?
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Quote by Dreadnought
Doesn't have to be religious. I just bundled that with tradition for the ease of the poll

ahh i see

also, the reason behind wanting to get married (for both me and my gf) is because its romantic. That's it, the legal/money shit we don't care about, its just because we're pretty dorky like that
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Of course. I've been saving myself for marriage.

But nah, I'd rather not go through the flimflam that is marriage. I guess I'd do it for legal reasons, or if the woman was really adamant about getting married, I'd roll with it.
Free Ali
I'm ok with whatever marriage.

Personally, I think I'd like to get married, but I wouldn't want to impose any sort of tradition to it. I'd settle for a courthouse marriage if it came to it.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
hah as if i'd marry
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
I wouldn't want to do it in a church because church is boring and I don't want to sit through Mass.

And I'd like a May or June wedding. Other than that it's whatever.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I'd like to get married to someone. My girlfriend and I have been dating quite a while now, and have talked about it. Since we are both Catholic it would be religious. Fun fact: in a Catholic wedding, the father doesn't give the bride away because the bride must be willing to accept the marriage or else it isn't a valid marriage in the Church. I always thought the idea of giving your daughter away was kind of treating the girl as a piece of livestock.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Also bitch better have my dowry.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Not believing in monogamy doesn't mean I couldn't get married.

Being an ugly, fat, mentally ill tranny with a shit personality is why I won't get married, for your information.

For the record, I really want(ed) to wear a wedding dress one day.
I was at a wedding a few weeks ago. The pastor made it into a sermon about the woman being subservient to the man.
Free Ali
I'd probably do everything traditional except for the religious part. although i wouldn't really call that 'non traditional'. it'd still be a large ceremony and such with everything but i don't need it to be in a church or have a priest do the vows and stuff.
Quote by GuitarGod_92
Not believing in monogamy doesn't mean I couldn't get married.

True

Being an ugly, fat, mentally ill tranny with a shit personality is why I won't get married, for your information.

FYI, I think you can and will get married, if you want.

For the record, I really want(ed) to wear a wedding dress one day.

Then I hope you get to
I don't really even like calling it boyfriend girlfriend. I like to nonconform and keep my life free of social construction.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
I don't really even like calling it boyfriend girlfriend. I like to nonconform and keep my life free of social construction.

Color me surprised
I got married in the basement of the county courthouse.
We had already been living together for about 5 years.
It was just us, a judge, and a county clerk as the witness.
And I dunno why, but but both of us were laughing through the whole thing.
Then we hit a bunch of yard sales.

I have no plans or desire to get married again.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Jun 15, 2015,
After recently going through the divorce of my parents, I'm fairly certain I will never get married.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
My girlfirends parents have saved up $20,000 for her wedding.
They are very traditional, and well off.

Needless to say, I'm not complaining, and I'm planning on an over-the-top, fairy tale ordeal. They can make it as lavish as they want, I am indifferent as far as that aspect.

Likely it would be in a church too, as they are religious, so I would infer that the 20k would go more toward the reception somehwere fancy.
58-32 NFL Thread Pick Em.
Quote by TSmitty6
My girlfirends parents have saved up $20,000 for her wedding.
They are very traditional, and well off.

Needless to say, I'm not complaining, and I'm planning on an over-the-top, fairy tale ordeal. They can make it as lavish as they want, I am indifferent as far as that aspect.

Likely it would be in a church too, as they are religious, so I would infer that the 20k would go more toward the reception somehwere fancy.

the reception is the wedding

The vast majority of people only marry to make sure their partner/kids gets everything when they die and for tax reasons, never met anyone who married for religious reasons
And i'm definitely planning to get married once i have kids (aslong as ive been with the girl for atleast 5 years)
I've only been to two "weddings" and in both of them they got married in secret (with a judge), then held a party at their house where they announced it to their family. One of those couples had been together for over 10 years and had 3 kids and the other had been together for over 5 years and just had their first kid. I'd probably want something like that (since i can't for the life of me understand why someone would waste enormous amounts of money on one night that doesnt have to cost anything) so i voted "non-traditional".
That being said, if i found a really amazing girl that i loved more than anything and she wanted some fairy-tale wedding and i could afford it without it affecting me financially that much, i'd probably give it to her
But if she wants to get married before we have kids ill start running and never turn back, thats just crazy (to me atleast)
________________________________ ________________________________
______________________________ ______________________________
Page 1 of 5