After 20 years of playing guitar, I realized I have become tired of death metal/extreme metal. I have stopped playing or writing it altogether.

I have loved all music since I was a kid. I listen to a wide variety of music, including classic rock, prog, funk, jazz, hip hop, techno & electronica, industrial etc. When I started to play guitar, my favorite players I was shooting for were Vai, Lifeson, Malmsteen and Randy Rhoads. Eventually I heard Metallica as a teen in the 90s and it was "all in" from there. I started listening to more thrash and death metal when I was 18 and really loved it, got into it more and more. I would practice hours a day on my technique and learning songs from bands like Coroner and Carcass. Played in a bunch of bands back in the early 2000's, black metal, doom metal, brutal death metal etc.

Now I do not play in bands anymore, I have a full time job, and I have taken up boxing training five times a week. It really helps get my stress, anger and aggression out. On top of this, I recently re-discovered how much I love Pink Floyd and Stevie Ray Vaughan. If there is any guitar player who "speaks" to me right now in my life, it is the late SRV. I was just a kid when he passed away.

The other day I noticed I barely play death metal anymore when I pick up the guitar. I still love all the great old stuff I used to listen to daily and jam with: bands like Suffocation, Sepultura, Death, Gorguts, Cryptopsy, Pestilence, you name it. I can listen to it and still feel great. Sometimes that is exactly what you need. And I will always love certain bands like AC/DC and Judas Priest. But I have totally hit a wall with thrash, death metal, etc. I have heard so many bands, and it's just not exciting to me anymore, don't want to play it tab it or write it now, and I feel like I cannot relate to it at all where I am currently in life. All the tension, tightness and dissonance just doesn't vibe well with me anymore.

After all these years of playing extreme metal I feel am taking a more blues, jazz funk-oriented direction. After a busy day, the last thing I want to do when I get home is plug in my BC Rich and play Suffocation... even though I love both of them! Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
I feel like I'm going through a midlife musical identity crisis.
Honestly, is there anything wrong with that? Look at Opeth. They've basically done the same thing.
I don't think that it's a bad thing to find playing a select couple of subgenres under the metal genre repetitive. I think that your brain is forcing you to grow as a musician.
And I can definitely relate. My taste in music when I was single and working ~35 hours a week is quite different from my taste in music now that I'm working 45+ hours a week, married, with kids.
Your brain is forcing you retire as a plebeian
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
If you're not feeling it, you're not feeling it. Take a break from it. Though, from a personal standpoint, I listen to and play extreme genres of metal because it's so vastly different from my professional career atmosphere. Most people would never guess what kind of music I listen to and play. I find it therapeutic. Though I've been listening to metal since I was a kid; it's never NOT been my go-to genre of music.

I hear you about getting tired of the dissonance and focus on tight riffing and playing though. When that is the only focus of the music, it takes A LOT to get me going. This is why I prefer black metal and its offshoots to straight-up death metal. I enjoy the brutality of death metal; don't get me wrong -- but there are few albums that hold my interest for more than a year or so. I think it's the lack of melody or emotion.
If you're someone who sticks with playing guitar and being a musician, over time your tastes and interests will change many, MANY times. I've been playing for 26 years now and during that time I've gained interest, lost interest and rediscovered just about every genre of music there is at one point or another. I started playing a lot of metal in the beginning, stopped for maybe 4 or 5 years in my late 20's then picked it up again and playing metal feels fresh again.

Just play what makes you happy and try not to have expectations.
Quote by HighGainManiac
Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Yes, but I've been playing guitar for 10 years and I'm not really interested in extreme metal riffing anymore as playing. But, this comes with the notion that I just mashed out riffs that weren't interesting in the slightest.

I've recently taken up classical guitar and wearing a fancy wig, and I think it's improved my playing. I've of the notion that the more music you play the more recognizable you'll be. Too many styles to limit yourself to just one, and even your extreme metal riffing will improve too, might get you more interested once you've spent some more time with other genres.

Playing anything exclusively gets exhaustive. It takes away from the appreciation of the music when you've over-saturated (technical term) yourself with the same sounds.

Quote by KailM
I think it's the lack of melody or emotion.

I can help you with that, hombre.
Just play stuff like Bolzer and turn gay
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
Quote by severed-metal

I've recently taken up classical guitar and wearing a fancy wig, and I think it's improved my playing.

Can I become the modern day Steve Vai if I go down that route?

But honestly, I wouldn't worry about losing interest in playing metal. Generally, tastes change as time goes on. Like, as a kid I was a grunge slacker, and here I am now as full blown brutal death metal maniac. And with many years still ahead of me, who knows what else I'll get into? Funk? Classical? Reggae? Hip-Hop? Country? Electronic(already started on some breakbeat hardcore actually)? Time will tell...
Quote by supertom1
and here I am now as full blown brutal death metal maniac.

That's not really accurate though.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by supertom1

But honestly, I wouldn't worry about losing interest in playing metal. Generally, tastes change as time goes on. Like, as a kid I was a grunge slacker, and here I am now as full blown brutal death metal maniac. And with many years still ahead of me, who knows what else I'll get into? Funk? Classical? Reggae? Hip-Hop? Country? Electronic(already started on some breakbeat hardcore actually)? Time will tell...

You are a tourist
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
Quote by theogonia777
That's not really accurate though.

What's more accurate then?
Quote by The Wildchild
You are a tourist

If only.

The sad truth is, I haven't yet got round to getting my ass out of my home country lol
Quote by supertom1
What's more accurate then?

You're a casual fan of a few of the most well known brutal/technical death metal bands.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Hehe, we are all tired of Death Metal. I thought it was so over 10 years ago but it just keeps going and going and going...
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by theogonia777
You're a casual fan of a few of the most well known brutal/technical death metal bands.

I'm a bit too obsessed to be just a 'casual fan'.

Anyways, what stuff would you reccommend, as it seems you think I am missing out on something
If you were "obsessed" you wouldn't need to ask.
Quote by Cajundaddy
Hehe, we are all tired of Death Metal. I thought it was so over 10 years ago but it just keeps going and going and going...

Motley Crue isn't death metal.
Quote by Morphogenesis26

Old people don't like death metal because anything with "death" in the name reminds them that they only have a few years left.
Quote by Morphogenesis26

I gigged with those guys at Gazzarri's in the early 80s. They actually sold a ton of records. Death Metal... not so much...

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/it-s-official-cannibal-corpse-are-the-top-selling-death-metal-band-of-the-soundscan-era/

My cousin is a pretty talented drummer/lead singer and he recorded 5 CDs and played Death Metal to empty pay-to-play rooms around LA for 10 years. Nobody showed up to catch the show it seems. To each his own...
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jun 22, 2015,
Quote by Cajundaddy
I gigged with those guys at Gazzarri's in the early 80s. They actually sold a ton of records. Death Metal... not so much...

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/it-s-official-cannibal-corpse-are-the-top-selling-death-metal-band-of-the-soundscan-era/

My cousin is a pretty talented drummer/lead singer and he recorded 5 CDs and played Death Metal to empty pay-to-play rooms around LA for 10 years. Nobody showed up to catch the show it seems. To each his own...

Really? I figured it'd be hella good scene over there. I saw some local death metal bands the other night and shit was packed. Also what's the blabbermouth article for?
Quote by Morphogenesis26
Really? I figured it'd be hella good scene over there. I saw some local death metal bands the other night and shit was packed. Also what's the blabbermouth article for?

I think DM still works in the midwest but it's long gone/not viable in LA. Blabbermouth posts total record sales for top acts. DM is right in there with Verve "Free Jazz" sales.

If you want to play DM because you love it, go for it. Just don't expect much audience or $$ recording sales support. Hey, Van Gogh never sold a painting during his lifetime. Different strokes.

Quote by theogonia777
If you were "obsessed" you wouldn't need to ask.

Just because I haven't discovered the really underground stuff, doesn't mean my devotion is less. You don't need to act as if I'm one of those scene kids who thinks Slipknot and BMTH are death metal, coz I'm not that stupid
We have a sticky at the top of the forum that has a slew of fantastic desth, black, thrash and doom records that range from house recs to essentials. I suggest familiarizing yourself with that list. Some releases are obvious, others not so much
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Quote by Cajundaddy

After all, selling records and making more are the sole measures success and the sole reasons to play music.
Quote by theogonia777
After all, selling records and making more are the sole measures success and the sole reasons to play music.

Having someone show up to the gig is nice. Everybody plays for different reasons but for me, music is all about communicating with listeners. If no one shows for the gigs and few recordings sell, I would lose interest pretty quick. Other folks maybe not. We suffered much the same fate when playing jazz fusion. The music was fun but just not enough ears to hold our interest.

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jun 24, 2015,
Quote by progbass
Burzum never had a big live concert following

I thought they never played live at all
Quote by HighGainManiac
After 20 years of playing guitar, I realized I have become tired of death metal/extreme metal. I have stopped playing or writing it altogether.

I have loved all music since I was a kid. I listen to a wide variety of music, including classic rock, prog, funk, jazz, hip hop, techno & electronica, industrial etc. When I started to play guitar, my favorite players I was shooting for were Vai, Lifeson, Malmsteen and Randy Rhoads. Eventually I heard Metallica as a teen in the 90s and it was "all in" from there. I started listening to more thrash and death metal when I was 18 and really loved it, got into it more and more. I would practice hours a day on my technique and learning songs from bands like Coroner and Carcass. Played in a bunch of bands back in the early 2000's, black metal, doom metal, brutal death metal etc.

Now I do not play in bands anymore, I have a full time job, and I have taken up boxing training five times a week. It really helps get my stress, anger and aggression out. On top of this, I recently re-discovered how much I love Pink Floyd and Stevie Ray Vaughan. If there is any guitar player who "speaks" to me right now in my life, it is the late SRV. I was just a kid when he passed away.

The other day I noticed I barely play death metal anymore when I pick up the guitar. I still love all the great old stuff I used to listen to daily and jam with: bands like Suffocation, Sepultura, Death, Gorguts, Cryptopsy, Pestilence, you name it. I can listen to it and still feel great. Sometimes that is exactly what you need. And I will always love certain bands like AC/DC and Judas Priest. But I have totally hit a wall with thrash, death metal, etc. I have heard so many bands, and it's just not exciting to me anymore, don't want to play it tab it or write it now, and I feel like I cannot relate to it at all where I am currently in life. All the tension, tightness and dissonance just doesn't vibe well with me anymore.

After all these years of playing extreme metal I feel am taking a more blues, jazz funk-oriented direction. After a busy day, the last thing I want to do when I get home is plug in my BC Rich and play Suffocation... even though I love both of them! Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
I feel like I'm going through a midlife musical identity crisis.

I was exactly the same way. I played in a metal band growing up when deftones and korn and adema and slipknot and taproot and all that stuff was big. I look back at it and although it helped me learn more on my instrument it held me back from really knowing how to play. I love the blues and i wish i hadn't been hanging around my friends who were all into metal at the time. I kind of just fell into that scene and honestly never cared for it because i didn't have any hate in my soul for god or society or people or relationships, infact i never really listened to many lyrics of bands i just liked the heavy guitar and drum sound. Now that im older i cant even stand it anymore. Its been so completely over done that i cant even really differentiate between metal bands anymore nor do i care to hear it. Especially playing out is hard when you know you are going to sit through a bunch of metal bands that are local or even national and wait for your turn to do a set (if you are even in to playing those gigs at all which is another topic of craziness.) So yeah i think a lot of us have been there. I cant even tell what is happening on guitar with some bands there is no tone or anything just a metal zone pedal with hot pickups blasting the gain knob. Not that metal isn't cool or anything anymore apparently people love it, i am just not one of those people anymore. So yeah maybe you would get into it more if you could jam with some people that know how to play some good psych blues rock stuff. Might even re learn how you think about guitar because that's what happened for me. True story lol.
^^Not all metal is about hating God/other people/everything. If you ask me, that mentality is part of the "scene" as much as anything else. There are plenty of metal bands putting out very thoughtful, interesting, and moving music that covers a diversity of other topics -- you just have to discover them, because they're not out there holding up a banner saying "listen to us."
Quote by KailM
^^Not all metal is about hating God/other people/everything. If you ask me, that mentality is part of the "scene" as much as anything else. There are plenty of metal bands putting out very thoughtful, interesting, and moving music that covers a diversity of other topics -- you just have to discover them, because they're not out there holding up a banner saying "listen to us."

No i get it, didn't mean to strike a nerve or sound closed minded. Just saying in my experience that's what its been like. I think its really really really hard to play metal these days because although there are lots of clubs that will book you and your metal band there are so many friggin people doing that same sound and that same kind of thing with that same energy. Its either that or a lot of Pop bands and so on or cover bands. I play blues rock stuff and we get shows here and there, and we recently opened for tantric lol. It was the same shit different day, metal metal metal. It worked to our benefit because we were different. But anyway yeah man true story bromanguy! As far as "meaningful" metal that's all good i just stick with the plethora of classic rock albums and a few new bands that i really dig. I think if i could be young enough and never have played in bands that i would enjoy metal more but ive just heard too damn much metal lol.
I really have no idea why I'm in this forum section lol but your title and OP resonated with me.

Metal was really all I played and listened to in high school. Looking back on it, it was a major factor that lead me to where I am today. But really I can't listen to it anymore... it is not something I identify with. Similarly I haven't found any joy in playing guitar in a long time. The guitars just sit there as ornaments collecting dust. My interests and perspective on music today are so foreign compared to my grade school days...

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana