...just curious...what's a good way for a beginner to figure out the strumming pattern of a song? Thanks.
just to play along with it and see if you hear deeper notes first, or higher notes first
deeper to higher notes suggests that the chords are being strummed down and higher to deeper suggests that its being strummed up, you just have to listen to it, and the more you play songs you will get how a song is strummed.
Basically when I started ou I would just take an easy song, put on the record and just try to keep up with it the best I could....and then I would start it over again and keep trying... I just let the record keep going ...and if I kept up fine if not I would just try to jump in where I could... Eventually I would get it.... Of course I picked songs that only had a few chords to it and a simple melody to follow... Nothing very complicated... After a while it then comes to you the more you play.... Just listen a few times to the song before you even try to play along to it... Just to get it down in your head as to how the guitar in it is really playing.... That worked for me... Other then that I don't think I can get really specific as to what to do... It to me is all sort of hands on no matter what someone tells you.... Good luck and just keep at it... Eventually it will come to you....
I have had the same problem and most tabs do not include the strumming pattern. I have noticed the more I practice the easier it is to notice what a new songs strumming pattern is just by listening to it. Just keep up the trial and error and ask when you need to.
My tip is to take a few basic patterns and break them down into bars, then think about how the beats and rhythm is connected with the pattern. Then build from that and try to learn different patterns by ear, this will give you a base to help you figure out other patterns you don't know.

Lets take an example, one of the most common patterns is D * D U * U D U (e.g. Outkast - Hey Ya), which means it's "eight" of something, but the most common way of using this is over four beats, so we also add "and" between counting 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & to "fill out the gaps". Then for example remove the first upstrum, then you have another common pattern D * D * * U D U (e.g. Vance Joy - Riptide). After that just continue in 4/4 trying to add or remove strums giving yourself more alternatives and a wider base, the more patterns you learn by sight and ear the easier it is to figure out new ones. Think of it as a jigsaw puzzle, the more pieces you've laid already and can see, the easier it is to figure out the missing spots right?

After this there's a few different ways you can continue to the "next level", for example relying more on the ears or taking the theoretical approach and connecting it to sheet music.