Hi

So my lp fell over before and one of the tuners broke. The tuning peg and the casing fell off but The main mechanism with the cog is still attached. Is this fixable by me or a guitar shop, or will I have to buy new tuners?
Last edited by 12wilsonh1 at Jun 15, 2015,
It depends on how mangled the cover is.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Hard to know for sure (posting pictures of the damage would help) but I would be inclined to replace the tuner. You can buy single tuners so you don't have to replace the whole set.
The cover has retained its original shape, and I have all the correct washers etc
I mean, you can try to put it back together yourself. No harm in giving it a shot, it's already broken and I doubt you could make it much worse unless you just start slamming it back together with a hammer.

Personally, I'm clumsy and bad with fine tooling, and I just wouldn't trust a tuner that's been forcibly disassembled. Even if I got it back together again I'd always be waiting for it to lock up or fall apart, naturally at the most inconvenient time. Single replacements are not that expensive and to me would be worth the peace of mind. Or I'd use it as an excuse to upgrade to a full set of locking tuners.
Update: I have failed and now need to replace the tuner, but I can't find any klusons the same colour (silver hardware with black knob) and I don't want to pay for a new set, what should I do?
eBay, or just get a single chrome tuner and use the key from your old tuner. The keys are often replaceable/interchangeable especially on the name brand stuff.
Quote by 12wilsonh1
Update: I have failed and now need to replace the tuner, but I can't find any klusons the same colour (silver hardware with black knob) and I don't want to pay for a new set, what should I do?

can't say i've ever seen a kluson (plate back or waffle), with a molded black knob. what kind of lp do you have?
i stand corrected. kluson deluxe with black knob. still looking...
Last edited by ad_works at Jun 15, 2015,
what is the shape of the knob? round or keystone?

you can heat the knob off the old one and do a swap out with a new tuner. use a soldering iron and heat the shaft only. try to pull it straight off. wiggling will just enlarge the hole until it becomes useless. do the same with the new one. then, get some good quality ca glue (i like loctite -target sells it) and apply to the new pieces sparingly.
Last edited by ad_works at Jun 15, 2015,