The Schaller Strap Locks that I am using are great and I have them on all my guitars. Lately I have been using some thicker guitar straps and I find the nuts on the stap locks come loose often. Any ideas about how to keep them from coming loose?
Attachments:
schaller.jpg
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Jun 15, 2015,
Tighten them as much as you can using a wrench, put a bit of clear nail polish on the threads to (hopefully) keep them frozen a bit better, check them often until they settle in.

I find that most straps will eventually compress enough for the locks to stay put. Until that happens there's not a lot you can do besides keep tightening as much and as often as you can.
I think it's quite normal, the pressure will make the strap thinner and come loose, it should settle after a while. I don't remember if the Schallers had one or two nuts for each lock, the ones I've purchased from Axetec had two, I think they are supposed to be used together to prevent self loosing, this is the physics behind it http://www.boltscience.com/pages/twonuts.htm

that guitar is like falling in love with a stripper
Silmeria
Valkyrie
modded Squier Strats
Thanks. My older ones from 25+ years ago stay tight but I think it's like you say it's new locks with new leather. I'll try the polish thing.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
You can also use a bit of Loctite 242 if you're too bashful to buy nail polish.
If you care about your guitar, you should check those for wear and tighten every time you pick it up anyway... But yeah, they loosen quite a lot in the beginning with new leather ends.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by billyTheShears
I think it's quite normal, the pressure will make the strap thinner and come loose, it should settle after a while. I don't remember if the Schallers had one or two nuts for each lock, the ones I've purchased from Axetec had two, I think they are supposed to be used together to prevent self loosing, this is the physics behind it http://www.boltscience.com/pages/twonuts.htm

Usually (for me) the strap is too thick to get the second nut on at all. Schaller might be smart to make the threads a bit longer.
Quote by dspellman

That's probably a better answer, nail polish is just cheaper and happens to work for solder joints too. Plus, I traded in my dignity long ago.
Quote by Roc8995
Usually (for me) the strap is too thick to get the second nut on at all. Schaller might be smart to make the threads a bit longer.

Actually I've verified that the threads on my Schallers are too short, I can fit two bolts only on the Axetec ones. Anyway I don't think that the additional bolt or the glue is a solution to this problem, because if the strap isn't already pressed and stable it would come loose anyway, the locking mechanism and the "pocket" could turn upside down and fail...I know from experience

Silmeria
Valkyrie
modded Squier Strats
I don't agree. To me it seems that securing the nut is the solution to the problem, and if you're checking and compressing fairly often the strap should settle in and give you no further problems (provided the occasional tightening), and at that point you want to lock the threads. If your straplocks are self-destructing for other reasons that's worrisome, but not something I'm terribly worried about with Schallers. If the pocket is so loose that it can swivel in the strap, you didn't have it tight enough.

My point is that with a short period of being extra careful, you can have a perfectly good straplock set up. I didn't mean to say that you could just freeze the threads and never check your straplocks again. That's in conjunction with making sure they're tight and that the strap is/has compressed properly.
Quote by dspellman

+1 that's what I do.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Yes, what I meant is that it looks like his strap isn't already compressed so in this case he's got to wait before locking the nut.
That failure didn't happen with my Schallers but I've read some reviews where the same thing happened to other people with Schallers.I still don't quite understand how it happened, I can't reproduce the problem again by pulling the strap, when it happened I've put the strap on my neck then let the guitar fall into position, I guess it took a pretty strong tug, with the lock at an unlucky angle

Silmeria
Valkyrie
modded Squier Strats