Too good to be true? Well I designed one already and it came out to $707.35 with case, and delivered to my house. A custom guitar with bells and whistles...Is it too good to be true? Anyone have any experience with their customs? If so how's the neck? I'm assuming the "EMG" neck pickup and bridge pickup options are the 81/85 combo...I'm pretty stoked. What do you guys think?
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
Not too god to be true.
Agile semi custom line is a great way to get options not often found in standard production guitars
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Agile customs are pretty good for the price, but you get the same sort of quality that you do with their Pro line guitars. Made the same way in the same factory, just to your desired specs. And the resale value is the same as an equivalent model. Also check that price, because I find Agile's custom orders are a bit confusing on price. They ask for x amount up front then you pay the difference before shipping, the actual total cost isn't explicitly stated anywhere that I can ever see.

About Agiles quality, they are as good if not better than equivalent price guitars from big brands, but I have heard of guitars needing fret levels or fretwork to get them perfect, as you need with a lot of guitars.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
This is pretty tight. Already got another one speced out at $845. Not buying these yet, but I'm very interested...Probably my next purchase. I'm a little concerned about the neck. Is it a compound radius? Is it thin enough? 350mm radius is all it told me about the shape.
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
I have no clue, honestly. You can email Kurt and find out. He usually gets back pretty quick.

Again, I'm a little skeptical of that $845. That's after the ~$450 due before delivery? I've priced out pretty basic ALs (basically a silverburst LP custom clone) and it's like $11-1200.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
It is too good to be true. Because that's not how it works, if you think that the total price is $700 and your deposit is $700-$400=$300 and then in January you pay the $400. I thought so too initially.

After reading things over, and I don't find the pricing verbiage very clear, but as far as I can discern, the "total price" of $600-800 that you get after you click "add to cart" is only the deposit. Then some months later you have to pay $400+ making the actual total price $1100+ which puts Agiles a bit too close to Carvin territory in my view. And Carvins are US made and delivered to the customer much more quickly.

Perhaps I'm wrong though and someone with experience can confirm.

Their in-stock guitars on the other hand are a fantastic deal.
Last edited by dthmtl3 at Jun 15, 2015,
I have an Agile Custom (ordered a few years ago, but the process hasn't changed).
At the time, there weren't any neck-through AL (Les Paul) series guitars, and since it was one of the options, I checked it. I kept checking boxes and ended up with a guitar that cost me $1160, with case, delivered. While that sounds horrendously high (for an Agile), a non-neck-through Carvin CS would have cost me over $2K for the same guitar, would NOT have had a 16" radius or a 1 3/4" nut width or a wide/thin neck profile. I've got seven Carvins, so I have no hesitation about ordering their guitars. A Gibson with the same specs (except no jumbo frets, no 16" radius, no wide/thin neck profile and absolutely no neck-through construction) would have run $5760. The Gibson would have taken 5-7 months, the Agile took about 3 1/2 months, and the Carvin would have taken 6-8 weeks.

This particular Agile Custom displaced an over-$4K Gibson Axcess Custom for a project I've been doing and is still first choice there. Outstanding guitar.
Quote by GraceByDeath
This is pretty tight. Already got another one speced out at $845. Not buying these yet, but I'm very interested...Probably my next purchase. I'm a little concerned about the neck. Is it a compound radius? Is it thin enough? 350mm radius is all it told me about the shape.

Order the "slim" neck profile to get a thin neck. This will end up around 17mm deep (front of the fretboard to the back of the neck) at the 1st fret and about 21mm deep at the 12th fret.

At the moment, it looks like most of the fretboards are a 350mm (about 13.7") radius. Not compound radius. I actually managed to get a 16" radius fretboard a few years ago, but I don't see them offering that at the moment.
Quote by TheStig1214
Agile customs are pretty good for the price, but you get the same sort of quality that you do with their Pro line guitars. Made the same way in the same factory, just to your desired specs. And the resale value is the same as an equivalent model. Also check that price, because I find Agile's custom orders are a bit confusing on price. They ask for x amount up front then you pay the difference before shipping, the actual total cost isn't explicitly stated anywhere that I can ever see.

About Agiles quality, they are as good if not better than equivalent price guitars from big brands, but I have heard of guitars needing fret levels or fretwork to get them perfect, as you need with a lot of guitars.

That's a fair assessment.

Read the payment schedule carefully -- the way things are set up, you'll see a variable amount (depending on your options) which will be your deposit, and then there will be a fixed amount due upon arrival. The total of those two amounts is the total you'll pay for your guitar.

Resale on customs is variable, just as it is on any custom-built guitar.

Most of the guitars I've purchased that are new to me go on the PLEK machine. Several years ago I bought a Gibson Axcess Custom (over $4K). The Agile Custom arrived on the same day (!) and with a few weeks I had an Agile B-Stock that was under $200 with case, delivered. I had the frets on all three superglued. The Gibson Axcess Custom, which was delivered direct from their Custom Shop (the Axcess Custom is not a production model), had a noticeable Gibson Hump. The PLEK fixed that right up. The Agile Custom was actually pretty good, but the PLEK made it perfect. And the Agile B-Stock was fretting out a bit on two-stop bends at the 16th fret. Now right on the money.

About the only guitars I've seen that have been bang on the money from the factory have been new Carvins. Suhr tells me that they now run each guitar on their PLEK machines before they leave the plant, but the guitars that aren't custom built for an individual can hang in a retail location for a year or more before you buy them, and can get out of rig, thanks to the air conditioning, etc. Carvins are built, boxed, and shipped, and usually in your hands with a few days. They usually come out of the box still in tune.

Korean guitars have a 6500 mile trip on the water before they get to a distributor, which is why Schecter does a remedial setup on new arrivals in Burbank. Even then, however, a Schecter is likely to hang on a GC wall for anything from a few weeks to a year and a half, and that environment is not kind. You should pretty much expect that any guitar coming from a brick and mortar retail store stands a pretty good chance of needing a bit of fret tweaking after that.
It's telling me the "Total" of the second one is $867.35. Where I come from a "Total" is the end price. It is mentioning a $425 balance due, but from my end, it looks like that's taken into the total.

But if that $425 balance due in January 2016 is extra...Then I'm not thinking I'll do it. At a $1,292.35 price point, I get close to used USA Jackson territory (My personal dream guitars.) And when I get that close, may as well go all the way.
Quote by Roc8995

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Quote by GraceByDeath
It's telling me the "Total" of the second one is $867.35. Where I come from a "Total" is the end price. It is mentioning a $425 balance due, but from my end, it looks like that's taken into the total.

But if that $425 balance due in January 2016 is extra...Then I'm not thinking I'll do it. At a $1,292.35 price point, I get close to used USA Jackson territory (My personal dream guitars.) And when I get that close, may as well go all the way.

You can screen capture the page and PM me, and I'll let you know. Better yet, do the same and send it to Kurt at Rondo and ask.
From the Rondo website

"The price shown in the shopping cart and on your initial receipt is for the initial deposit only"

"To have a guitar built special for you with the specific characteristics that you choose, you will need to make 2 separate payments. The first payment will be a deposit. To determine the cost of the deposit for the guitar you want to create, simply select the features you want. Then hit the button “Add to Cart”. Your shopping cart will pop up on your computer screen. Next enter your zip code to calculate the shipping charge. The price of your deposit for your instrument, including shipping, will be shown in the shopping cart. This is the amount you pay when you place your order. Once your custom guitar has been built and is ready to ship, you will be notified. At this time you would make your final payment of exactly $450, and your guitar that you designed will be on its way to you! "

So whatever shows up in your shopping cart is only your deposit and shipping, when the guitar is ready you still have to make a payment or $450, or whatever it is for the specific model you chose. So you estimate prices are low to what the final cost will actually be.
Yup, you would think "total price" means total for the guitar/order, but I guess it's supposed to mean total for this transaction/deposit. Then there's the final payment later, not included in the "total." Surely there are better ways to present this on their site. They must get several customers confused later as to why they end up paying so much.
Quote by dthmtl3
Yup, you would think "total price" means total for the guitar/order, but I guess it's supposed to mean total for this transaction/deposit. Then there's the final payment later, not included in the "total." Surely there are better ways to present this on their site. They must get several customers confused later as to why they end up paying so much.

It used to be simpler. You'd pay half up front and half before they shipped the guitar.

At a guess, some of the folks who ordered up guitars ran out of money (or used it for something else) by the time came to pay the second half <G>.

I think you're right -- there are better ways to present this on their site. Fortunately, there are forums like this one (and the AgileGuitarForum) with people who will set you straight.

For me, the choice was easy; I wasn't going to be able to duplicate the feature set that my custom order was going to have on any guitar under about $6500. So I took the chance and was really glad I did.
Quote by dspellman
It used to be simpler. You'd pay half up front and half before they shipped the guitar.

At a guess, some of the folks who ordered up guitars ran out of money (or used it for something else) by the time came to pay the second half <G>.

I think you're right -- there are better ways to present this on their site. Fortunately, there are forums like this one (and the AgileGuitarForum) with people who will set you straight.

For me, the choice was easy; I wasn't going to be able to duplicate the feature set that my custom order was going to have on any guitar under about $6500. So I took the chance and was really glad I did.

I figure people will run out of money no matter the terms especially if we're talking 6-7 months later and even more so if the delivery/payment date is right after x-mas. 50-50 would be better. As it now, the deposit is rather hefty. In my case, the Agile of my dreams would be $1245, the Carvin of my dreams $1391. The Agile I can get with a Kahler, the Carvin I can't. The Carvin I imagine is superior and delivered faster but their 80% final payment is a bit much.
Knowing it'll cost me just under $1,300 has stopped me for now. Thank you for all the assistance.
Quote by Roc8995

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Quote by dthmtl3
The Carvin I imagine is superior and delivered faster but their 80% final payment is a bit much.

Huh? They don't FINANCE, after all. What did you THINK it would be?
Quote by dspellman
Huh? They don't FINANCE, after all. What did you THINK it would be?

Well, I mean 20/80 is tough, 50/50 would be more doable.
Quote by dthmtl3
Well, I mean 20/80 is tough, 50/50 would be more doable.

If you want to give them 50% upfront, I will guarantee you they'll accept it.
I wouldn't buy a new one (better options at that price), but I've purchased 3 used ones early last year at great prices and they're great guitars. If you spot a used one that you like, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger.
Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.
Quote by CustomAxe
I wouldn't buy a new one (better options at that price), but I've purchased 3 used ones early last year at great prices and they're great guitars. If you spot a used one that you like, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger.

Depends. In both cases. One guy ordered a custom neck-through LP with a flat top, a couple of P90's and a satin/flat paint job and no binding. My first reaction upon seeing it was "Yuck. Why?" but there's no accounting for taste. Often what you think will be cool in your head won't be. Now it's being sold on and not moving.

I'd certainly (well, I have and will again) buy a new one, and given what I'd order, I can't say that I agree there are better options at that price or even similar options at any price. When I bought my custom there were similar options at double the price and at six times the price, but neither offered neck-through construction or the same combination of options.

But it's absolutely and definitely worth keeping your eyes open for used customs. If you don't mind the occasional mental fart of the ordering party, they're usually awesome guitars to snag.
And Rondo's in-stock Agiles are very affordable. A better deal than the same WMI guitar but with a brand name.