I literally had my $850 ESP MH set up a week ago and had new strings put on. Is it normal? When I strum and play some riffs lightly it won't, but if I pick a little more hard it will definitely buzz. Half notes are impossible to play without some buzzing. Should I take it back or is it normal?
Take er back, thats pretty uncool; I have had it happen in the past usually if the shop values their clients/product/workmanship etc, they are usually pretty gracious to take it back for a tweak.
Let me guess. Set up at guitar center?
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Quote by the_bi99man
Let me guess. Set up at guitar center?

Yup. $85 and it still sounds like shit. "Adjusted the neck and eliminated buzzing" my ass.

Will the bastard charge me if I bring it back showing the receipt that I went last Friday?
Last edited by Granata at Jun 16, 2015,
I've got the MH-1000, got it for $900 so I assume that's what you've got and I didn't even have to set it up much. Never even been in a GC so I can't help on the receipt thing however at my local, un-Guitar Centerized music store they check everything for free and everything if you're not happy with it after you got it back from them. But, GC doesn't sound that forgiving. Honestly I'd just do it on your own
Quote by Granata
Will the bastard charge me if I bring it back showing the receipt that I went last Friday?

I think he'd be pretty out of order unless you asked for "as low as possible and I play very lightly".
Quote by Granata
Yup. $85 and it still sounds like shit. "Adjusted the neck and eliminated buzzing" my ass.

Despicable, but expected. Take it to a real shop, with a competent tech. They'll set it up better and charge you half of that.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Quote by the_bi99man
Despicable, but expected. Take it to a real shop, with a competent tech. They'll set it up better and charge you half of that.

Spend another $45? No thanks. You think the tech at GC will have another look at it if I bring him the receipt that I did it last week?
Quote by Granata
Spend another $45? No thanks. You think the tech at GC will have another look at it if I bring him the receipt that I did it last week?

Get your ass there or call/e-mail them. No use asking what we think will happen.
can you hear the buzzing through the amp?
buzzing when you strum chords hard is normal but you shouldn't be able to hear it through the amp.
it also could be you're not pressing down hard enough.
Just learn to set up your own guitar. No one but you will know how you want it to feel, you can't expect a stranger to set it up perfectly for how you play. He/she will probably set it up perfectly for how they play themselves.
I agree with both the above. Just learn to set up yourself. But a little fret buzz is entirely normal (unless your guitar is PLEK'd and has perfect frets). As long as you don't hear the buzz through your amp it's fine.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by Granata

get a refund, take it to a competent shop, save money.

this isnt complicated
Quote by TheStig1214
I agree with both the above. Just learn to set up yourself. But a little fret buzz is entirely normal (unless your guitar is PLEK'd and has perfect frets). As long as you don't hear the buzz through your amp it's fine.

Knowing my luck I'd probably f up the truss rod tension and ruin an expensive guitar. I will check out the guitar through the amp and let you guys now. Definitely, though, without an amp it tends to buzz, especially when I hit the 6th string on the 3rd fret and the 5th string on the 5th fret. I'm definitely pushing it hard and have my fingers close to the fret, so that can't be the problem.
I really don't get this irrational fear of the truss rod people have. Unless you really tighten it all the way up, like literally back bowing it beyond any sort of rational limits, or do it too fast, it's pretty hard to "ruin" a guitar by playing with the truss rod. Everything that is done can be undone or adjusted when it comes to setups
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Yes people do freak out about the truss rod a lot! I don't really know why it has become some huge monster that people are afraid of messing with. Take a ruler or something flat like that and place it between the G and D strings around the middle of the fretboard. If it doesn't touch every fret then adjust the truss rod, maybe about a quarter of a turn or so and then check it. Just go slowly
Quote by Granata

Yeah, he should. And if not, he will change his mind if you trot the guitar manager over.

Best approach is to simply ask him to modify it for your playing (rather than "as low as possible without buzzing"). You should have your guitar set up for the hardest you'll be picking, and you should really consider what you plan to use for a picking style when doing that.

For example, I use very hard picks (like 2-3mm acrylics), very low action, and I let the electrics/amp do most of the work. I've sometimes got a little finger around the volume knob. But that doesn't work for a lot of folks. If you're bouncing around and strumming the way you would on an acoustic, you're going to want higher action.
Quote by PiercedBand
Yes people do freak out about the truss rod a lot! I don't really know why it has become some huge monster that people are afraid of messing with. Take a ruler or something flat like that and place it between the G and D strings around the middle of the fretboard. If it doesn't touch every fret then adjust the truss rod, maybe about a quarter of a turn or so and then check it. Just go slowly

I usually tell people to keep their flippin' fingers off the truss rod. Probably 90% of setup adjustments are undoing what people have done with truss rod "tweaks."

I usually tell newbs to buy a book called 'How to make your electric guitar play great' by Dan Erlewine (probably $20 on Amazon). If you want to understand what to tackle first on a guitar setup-wise, read the book and apply your new knowledge. At the very least, you'll be able to talk intelligently to a decent tech.

And, as the OP has no doubt discovered, "GC tech" is an oxymoron. Your homework assignment, class, is to find a really GOOD, non-judgmental tech in your area who does not work for GC.
Ok so you can't hear the buzzing through the amp, but when I do power chords or something (w/o the amp) there is some pretty good buzzing. When I strum chords, and let's say it's a whole note, i'll hear buzzing towards the end of the whole note. If i strum hard strings 1-6 open I won't get any buzzing either. Should I bother taking it in again?
No, it's not normal. Never go to Guitar Center for a setup again. lol

Quote by Granata
Should I bother taking it in again?
No, take it somewhere else. It's Guitar Center. They'll charge you again and still do shoddy work.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
No, it's not normal. Never go to Guitar Center for a setup again. lol

No, take it somewhere else. It's Guitar Center. They'll charge you again and still do shoddy work.

Sigh I'm starting to think that any moron can start working there as long as they can differentiate an acoustic from an electric. Is it fine if I wait on the setup for a bit? Saving money for something else at the moment. Or will it slowly damage over time if I don't get it better set up soon?
Quote by Granata
Sigh I'm starting to think that any moron can start working there as long as they can differentiate an acoustic from an electric. Is it fine if I wait on the setup for a bit? Saving money for something else at the moment. Or will it slowly damage over time if I don't get it better set up soon?

My advice is that if you've already paid $85 for a setup, taking it in for a tweak a week or so later shouldn't cost you anything; do it now. If you wait, you're going to SOL and will absolutely have to pay more money next time.

Leaving it as is won't damage anything, however.
Quote by Granata

I mean, it won't damage it. If you can tolerate the buzzing & such, you'll be fine.
Quote by dspellman
My advice is that if you've already paid $85 for a setup, taking it in for a tweak a week or so later shouldn't cost you anything; do it now. If you wait, you're going to SOL and will absolutely have to pay more money next time.

Leaving it as is won't damage anything, however.

I'm with this. Take it back and see if they will re-do it. If they won't then put it down to experience and take it somewhere else next time. By then you may have enough playing experience to tell them exactly what you want.

Also, going on this and other threads of yours, just enjoy yourself and the learning experience and stop worrying so much. It should be fun
It could just be the guitar and action/sting gauges. Some guitars you just won't be able to 100% get rid of fret buzz.
Quote by Granata

Shit happens. Especially when guitar center is involved. Why would you want the same jackass who didn't know how to set up your guitar the first time to look at it again? He hasn't got any better at his job since last week, I promise. If you bug them about it, you might be able to get a refund. Either way, cut your losses and go somewhere else. Then, do yourself a favor and never set foot in guitar center again. While you're at it, do yourself another favor and learn how to do your own set up work.
Guitars
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Take it back to GC with the receipt. Do NOT adjust anything on your own until they look at it, and make sure you'll get the work done free. If you go in after tweaking it or waiting around too long there's less chance they'll fix what they did in the first place. Be honest with them about your playing style as well. (In case you play rough. Personally I play fairly gently for a metalhead.)
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.