View poll results: WELL!??!
Yes it can be good
40 46%
No it is always bad
47 54%
Voters: 87.
Page 1 of 5
I say yes. Thoughts?

edit: "Can" is a very key operative word here, of course.
My God, it's full of stars!
just look at the MLP thread. that's meant as both an argument for and against the statement
Nope, bullying is a bad thing. Always.

However, not all aggressive behavior is bullying, even if it involves expressed or implied threats of violence.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
i remember in first grade the school bully challenged me to a game of chicken on the monkeybars. Basically you get the other guy to fall first. Anyway, so I'm up there with him, and I kicked him once and he fell and I was really proud of myself
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
little bit of teasing helps ground someone and stops them from getting too arrogant

but bullying to the point of ostracising them and making them a social outcast is bad, and its what causes "weirdos"
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
I wouldn't know I've never been bullied, I just kicked their ass .
Quote by MeTallIcA313
Guys, you heard Mr. Sacamano. No fun until racism is over.
I suspect the Social Justice Warriors on this site will want the poll to be public so that they can shame (bully) the people who voted Yes
Yeah I used to get bullied and it just toughens you up a bit. Depends how harsh the bullying is though.

Goes without saying that a lot of bullying is really bad tho

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
depends on what we are referring to as "bullying" here. Every one is such a ****ing little bitch these days so what I think is bullying is probably worthy of jail time. I don't know how old any of you are but I'm sure there are some younger people on this board, but I'm sorry, the younger generations today are so screwed up and need to grow some balls for god sakes. I would never say bullying (ie. pushing/shoving, beating up, public humiliation, etc) is good because it causes problems down the road if not corrected, but I am all for some good teasing or horsing around or calling each other names and trash talk because most of the time it's all in good fun and you can just dish it back. I get the feeling these days if you would do such a thing you'd be looked at as an asshole.
Last edited by anthsband at Jun 16, 2015,
No, I think that's where you have to draw a line between bullying and teasing. If a bully were to see you correct your behaviour because of something they did, they would aim to take greater advantage of it.
by no you are asking me to rule out all levels of anything that could be considered "bullying" which would leave pretty much nothing, especially as the meaning of the term is now quite flexible depending on who you are talking to and how sensitive they are.

and then there is people having varying reactions to things so that in some circumstances being bullied ends up with the being a "better" person (against some unknown standard measure)

obvious yes, doesn't make "proper" bullying acceptable though, even if it may get results.

edit: should have just posted "absolute vs conditional, srsly dready? :goddamnrolleyes:" but w/e.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by theguitarist
edit: should have just posted "absolute vs conditional, srsly dready? :goddamnrolleyes:" but w/e.

You should have banned him for every so subtly making a versus thread.
Free Ali
Quote by chrismendiola
You should have banned him for every so subtly making a versus thread.

kinda messed up doing that to someone who was blue way before I was even orange.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by chrismendiola
Define "bullying" and which negative social phenomena you believe it can correct.

No. I intentionally left it vague so that everyone can define it in their own ways, because I feel that to be important.
Quote by Dreadnought
No. I intentionally left it vague sp that everyone can define it in their own ways, because I feel that to be important.

In which case, the answer is (almost) always going to be "maybe."
Free Ali
Quote by chrismendiola

This seems to bother you, eh
Quote by chrismendiola

that's yes in this context.

stop being a wimp and just say yes.

(if this is bullying does forcing chris to make a firm choice teach him important values about decisiveness or does it not do anything at all and make chris just feel shitty about his weak-willed nature)
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by Dreadnought
This seems to bother you, eh

I'm not sure how one could properly answer the question any other way without more details.
Free Ali
The hypothetical scenario of "Child X does reprehensible or socially unacceptable thing, bullying makes them stop doing it" always baffles me, because I was the definition of conformity in school when I was bullied. Didn't wear stupid clothes, didn't do or like things that weren't ridiculously popular at the time, didn't talk about things that weren't okay or normal, etc., etc. The only things about me that were different from the school norm was A. very high grades and B. very poor performance in PE, which in hindsight I now know was caused by then-undiagnosed cases of Grave's Disease and severe exercise induced asthma, both of which I'm medicated for and completely fine for now.

It's not just kids making others who don't fit reasonable healthy conventions conform, and from my observations, to act like that's the majority of the cases is erroneous. Most of the times I've experienced and witnessed it's been about things like that Key & Peele sketch, or about getting a power trip. The victims aren't the ones in my observation who show a pattern that explains why it happens, the bullies are.

The targets aren't even weirdos that often, either. Most of the people at my school who were always doing weird shit or coming into school in strange clothing or otherwise being out-there and defying normal standards were at worst ignored, and oftentimes they were embraced and treated as weird and fun and cool. Rarely if ever were they mistreated for it. The victims are usually less people who are weird and out-there, and more people who are vulnerable. Puberty was kind enough to make me well over six feet tall and give me some muscle, and suddenly once I was a big guy, even though none of my attitudes or mannerisms changed, bullies disappeared, not because my behavior had been "corrected", but because I wasn't an easy target anymore. All through elementary school and middle school I was a constant target, always picked on, even though, again, at that time, nothing I liked or was into was weird or wrong. Then high school rolls around, I come back from summer big and tall, and suddenly the kids who tormented me are trying to be friends.

Then again I haven't done any massive research into the subject, so this is just one man's experiences and opinions.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jun 16, 2015,
Quote by chrismendiola
I'm not sure how one could properly answer the question any other way without more details.

"I don't know how to think for myself"
Quote by anthsband
depends on what we are referring to as "bullying" here. Every one is such a ****ing little bitch these days so what I think is bullying is probably worthy of jail time. I don't know how old any of you are but I'm sure there are some younger people on this board, but I'm sorry, the younger generations today are so screwed up and need to grow some balls for god sakes. I would never say bullying (ie. pushing/shoving, beating up, public humiliation, etc) is good because it causes problems down the road if not corrected, but I am all for some good teasing or horsing around or calling each other names and trash talk because most of the time it's all in good fun and you can just dish it back. I get the feeling these days if you would do such a thing you'd be looked at as an asshole.

Yeah, jail for troubled minors Eh.

I think that certain forms of social exclusion can help a kid realize that they're being excluded for a reason, sometimes a good one. If they have the power of insight they'll realize that the reason is sometimes justified. Key word is "can", as you said.

Maybe the bigger question is why we don't admit that bad things can be positively capitalized on. I pose this with no specific agenda. The reason could genuinely be that they're just dangerous. Or our unwillingness to objectively view negative experience, refusing to emotionally indict ourselves in the process. Probably a mix of both.
Quote by JamSessionFreak
Yes, in the same way a hammer to the face might be a way of removing rotten teeth.

But it WOULD work
Quote by Dreadnought
"I don't know how to think for myself"

I do know how to think for myself. I've obviously thought of the different possible answers that depend on how you would define the aspects of your question or we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Free Ali
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Yeah, jail for troubled minors Eh.

I think that certain forms of social exclusion can help a kid realize that they're being excluded for a reason, sometimes a good one. If they have the power of insight they'll realize that the reason is sometimes justified. Key word is "can", as you said.

Maybe the bigger question is why we don't admit that bad things can be positively capitalized on. I pose this with no specific agenda. The reason could genuinely be that they're just dangerous. Or our unwillingness to objectively view negative experience, refusing to emotionally indict ourselves in the process. Probably a mix of both.

This is a good post
Quote by Dreadnought
This is a good post

More on my point, please note...
Quote by ali.guitarkid7

The vagueness is a total non-issue.
Free Ali
Quote by chrismendiola
I do know how to think for myself. I've obviously thought of the different possible answers that depend on how you would define the aspects of your question or we wouldn't be having this conversation.

So why not begin your answer by defining those aspects?
Quote by slapsymcdougal
So why not begin your answer by defining those aspects?

I'm not the one who asked the question.

Also, I think I'm experiencing abulia.
Free Ali
Last edited by chrismendiola at Jun 16, 2015,
That is an interesting question really.

I'm going to say that I disagree. I think that people need some level of conflict, or to be challenged in some way personally, at some point in their lives. Like someone else said, that is a grounding experience and grants good perspective.

However, bullying to me implies something that is relentless and "unfair," and long term abuse like that is, in my opinion, unhealthy.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by eGraham
However, bullying to me implies something that is relentless and "unfair," and long term abuse like that is, in my opinion, unhealthy.

It's factually unhealthy. Increased anxiety, depression, stunts brain development. The list goes on.
Bullying sucks and I don't know what you really expect making people feel like shit is gonna fix, unless you just mean like telling them their new cowboy boots phase looks really dumb or something but that's not really bullying.

Like people used to make fun of this girl that ate her boogers a lot and messed with her all the time for it but she never quit eating boogers she just became this really quite girl that avoided everybody that also ate her boogers.
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Bullying is a corrective social mechanism, but I wouldn't call it positive cause not every dominant social paradigm is necessarily good.

edit: Just read the OP and title correctly. Yes it can be a good corrective social mechanism. can also be a bad one.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Jun 16, 2015,
Quote by chrismendiola
I'm not the one who asked the question.

Also, I think I'm experiencing abulia.

You're also not one of those who attempted to answer.

I know, I haven't answered in detail either
Page 1 of 5