hi guys,

i've just gotten ridiculously addicted to guitars again, after a long hiatus. the girlfriend that didn't like guitar noise has finally gone PRAISE THE LORD!

bought an epi sg (neck kept falling down) a few weeks ago and now a gibson one and I was thinking of covering the body/headstock in masking tape, then painting it a ridiculous colour / custom graphics etc for fun then once I'm fed up with it - just rip off the masking tape and have it back to being stock (dark mahogany faded/no colouring)

I don't care if it affects the tone a bit or looks less than stellar - if it makes it sound like total shit then yeah it's not going to last long, but a lot of the stuff I play is distorted and to people that don't give a **** (mostly drunken idiots)

half the reason is I don't want people to know it's a gibson as then someone might think about trying to nick it (it's a hostile playing environment) and I'll have to break the flimsy neck joint when I use it as a baseball bat.

maybe there is some kind of product I can spray on it to make it paintoverable instead ? failing this I can do strip the epiphone back to bare wood, fill it, then learn the whole painting/finishing process but that is going to take lots of time/money and I'd rather just play the thing for now. and epi's are neck heavy that require a change of tuning pegs/lead cavity weights/horn drilling and fat leather straps + new pickups/upgraded pots/knobs to make them worthy of playing. not worth the effort.

Any thoughts, experiences with temporary paint jobs ?

Cheers
Masking tape can leave some nasty residue if left on for any period of time.

There's an easier and more elegant way.

There's a car paint that's derived from the old DipIt tool handle plasticizer. Essentially, you paint over the original color with a paint that's removable at any time in the future. When you get tired of the paint color (or when you get back from the getaway driving from the bank job), you simply peel it off and you're back to the original paint. In the process, the peel paint has actually been protecting the original paint from scratches, oxidation, etc.

The stuff is available, of course, in gallon sizes for doing cars, but it's also available in aerosol spray cans, which are perfect for doing guitars.

http://www.dipyourcar.com/

And here's another option.

You know those transit vinyl wraps that they use for buses and food trucks? You can print almost anything on it (including a whole relic'd look), apply that to your guitar, and then take it off a year or two later. Google Axewraps and then check the images. This may be the least expensive way to go as well.

awesome!

thanks dspellman, yeah that'll definitely come in handy for robbing the bank too, why didn't I think of that last time, could have saved me that long stretch, dang!

those wraps look pretty nice as well and $30 ain't bad either, I've got access to a vinyl cutter so could try that here instead of the masking tape.

cheers mate