Ladies and gentleman, let me introduce you to my "5150+ 112." I don't know what else to call it because I've modded it so much from its original 6505+ 112 form.

A year or so ago, I modded it into a head. No biggie there.

Then I found out about the effects loop mod which restores a bunch of low end and reduces fizz when using the effects loop. This is a very easy mod and everyone who owns a 6505+ 112 needs to do it if they plan to use the effects loop. There was also a capacitor connected to the lead gain knob that, when clipped, helped slightly with the fizz and restored a little more low-end. Those were great mods and made my amp sound amazing.

But, as I'm sure you can all relate, tone can always be better, right?

So today I modded the lead channel to original 5150 specs!

The mod involves adding a 470 k resistor and .0015 uF capacitor in parallel to C5.
It also involves removing the capacitor in C 26 and replacing it with a .022 uF cap, which allows more low-end to flow through to the next stage.

Here are some pics of the mods to C5 and C26 respectively:

The .0015 cap is a large Orange Drop variety, and you can kind of see the resistor under it:

The capacitor on C26 is the large red one:

And a shot of the beast in all its glory:

I have played a 5150 combo before, and a regular 6505 212 combo as well. But never cranked up properly; I was in a store both times. I had always been curious to hear the difference for myself. Tonight, when I got it all put back together and fired it up, I was blown away. Ho-ly BALLS. The amount of low-end I get now is unbelievable. I had it turned up to "3" on the post gain and it felt like my chest was going to cave-in on palm mutes. Yet, it doesn't sound muddy. It has that low-end that still remains TIGHT, although it does now have a looser feel than when it had 6505+ specs. Another difference to the tone is that where the stock form had kind of a "twang" to the attack, the 5150 specs replace it with more of a guttural growl that sounds even more pissed-off than ever before. It is the most pissed-off sounding amp I've ever played, actually. (Which is exactly what I wanted.)

Overall, very, very pleased with these mods. Someday I might go back in and try to create a switch so I can go between 6505+ and 5150 modes -- but that's outside of my abilities at this point.

The other bonus to these mods are that the rhythm channel stayed the same. So the cleans are still better than a real 5150, plus the crunch mode stayed the same as well.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Jun 19, 2015,
Nice job man.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
sounds nice!

if you don't mind sharing, where are the specs on the mod from?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
sounds nice!

if you don't mind sharing, where are the specs on the mod from?

Here is the resource I used:

http://www.audunmelbye.no/2012/10/10/peavey-5150-6505-series-mods/

I may try the "mids" eq mod as well. However, having an MXR-10 band EQ in my loop would probably make that unnecessary.

I altered my lead channel mod slightly as well; instead of completely removing the existing cap in C5, I left it in and just tacked on the resistor with an additional .0015 uF cap -- which accomplishes the same thing in electronic values. I left all the legs slightly long so I can go back to stock if needed. I don't think I'm going back to stock though, lol.

One thing I'll mention about these mods though is that, especially with the effects loop and "bright cap" mod, it seems like the amp needs to be turned up a bit more to sound ideal. But man, once you do, it gets brutal, and sounds way better than stock.

I don't know if Peavey intended this or not, but it's possible that the 6505+ 112's effects loop and bright cap were meant to make it sound better at lower volumes, since it is a 112 combo.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
How does the bass player in your band feel about this.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Nice modding!!!
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by xxdarrenxx

Being a bass player, he probably feels distracted by a shiny thing.

I know, not all bass players are like that, but we all know at least one, right?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by xxdarrenxx

The bass player feels GREAT about it! (That's because the bass player is ME).

Besides, I primarily play black metal -- who the f$%# needs bass?
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
nice work
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm bumping this because I really want to do this exact mod to the effects loop and do the 5150 mod as well.

Do you have a list of the components I will need? You've listed the capacitance of the caps you've used, but thot their voltage rating. What would be appropriate?

I'm sorry I sound like a complete dolt, but I have no idea what the context of these mods are, what the mods do and why doing these mods makes a difference.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I'm pretty sure I used at least 400 volt capacitors, but they may have been 600 volt; I can't remember. I think 400 volt is just fine. Just buy high-quality caps such as Sprague Orange Drops (what I used). You won't spend more than $15 in parts (and that much only because you'll probably have to buy 10 of each component), regardless of what you go with. TubeDepot.com has everything you need.

As for the 5150 mod, it allows a lot more bass to go through a beginning stage of the tone stack. It really makes a massive difference, and becomes a different amp. I've had the mod installed for about a year now and haven't even thought about going back. One thing I've noticed though is that with my OD pedal, I now like to cut the bass a little more than what it does on a neutral setting. This mod makes the amp sound MASSIVE but a little on the "loose" side. Cutting a little more bass than normal going into the amp maintains tightness. I also run the mids higher than I used to; usually around 5.5 -6 on the dial. I have noticed, also, that the amp likes to be cranked a little more to get its best tone -- which hasn't been a problem for me because I can play as loud as I want. But it's something to consider. The regular 6505+ specs sound a little better at lower volumes. But at 2-3 on the post gain, the 5150 mod is brutal far beyond what the 6505+ can do.

The effects loop mod basically restores it to the tone you'd have with nothing in the loop. It neutralizes the horrible buffer Peavey put in the effects loop from the factory; and it is actually Peavey's recommended "fix" for the problem.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Feb 14, 2016,
Thanks.

What guide did you use to mod the effects loop?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 14, 2016,
Nope, I meant to do it that way (with a .0015 cap). I didn't remove c5; I just tacked the resistor and .0015 cap to the existing cap's legs. It results in the same exact value in the end, and you don't have to remove the whole PCB (though it was a tiny area on which to solder.) Also, you can quickly undo the mod if you dont like it. I'm not going back though -- it sounds awesome.

There is a guy by the name of 87sherwood on YT who did a nice video on the effects loop mod. That's an easy mod -- I'd suggest doing that first.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Very good.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
amazing.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by KailM
Nope, I meant to do it that way (with a .0015 cap). I didn't remove c5; I just tacked the resistor and .0015 cap to the existing cap's legs. It results in the same exact value in the end, and you don't have to remove the whole PCB (though it was a tiny area on which to solder.) Also, you can quickly undo the mod if you dont like it. I'm not going back though -- it sounds awesome.

There is a guy by the name of 87sherwood on YT who did a nice video on the effects loop mod. That's an easy mod -- I'd suggest doing that first.

That's good to know. Thanks!
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Impressive!
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Personally I would have hit the cab with an ebony stain. Looks very nice nonetheless though, just a tad reserved IMO.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^^The tone is anything but "reserved," I can assure you.

I was going for the 'old barnwood' look, which I sort of accomplished. But it's obvious it's new wood. I have piles of real barnwood in my backyard, but it's not what I'd want to use for something as expensive as an amp.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Bump.

Just did the effects loop and the 5150 mod having waited for all the parts to arrive.

Jesus does the 5150 mod make a difference to the sound of the amp. It'll take me some time to re-EQ the amp (and I am getting an MXR 10-band in the mail for good measure), but the amount of bass end you can get out of this amp with this mod is bonkers.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by Cathbard
Personally I would have hit the cab with an ebony stain. Looks very nice nonetheless though, just a tad reserved IMO.

You just want everything stained black. Like your heart.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Bump.

Just did the effects loop and the 5150 mod having waited for all the parts to arrive.

Jesus does the 5150 mod make a difference to the sound of the amp. It'll take me some time to re-EQ the amp (and I am getting an MXR 10-band in the mail for good measure), but the amount of bass end you can get out of this amp with this mod is bonkers.

It's like turning Jekyl into Hyde, ain't it? It does take some re-EQing. I find that I run the mids quite a bit higher than I used to, and obviously bass can be lower. I even bump up the presence a bit. The 10-band will be very useful. I still enjoy a slight cut to the 500hz region, but a boost to the 1 khz and even more boost to the 2 khz zone. I've also found it "wants" to be turned up a little more to sound its best. My favorite setting is "3" on the post gain. I just have to stand in the next room...

What I've found very helpful with both of my guitars also is to cut the bass on my OD pedal a bit more than usual -- otherwise the low-end becomes overwhelming. But by cutting some additional bass going into the amp it stays pretty tight, yet massive.

Here's a demo clip I just finished recording (mind you, I need to mess with my limiter settings and resubmit it to Soundcloud; a lot of the clarity and high-end somehow disappeared):

Edit: This new version has no limiting on the master track and sounds much better:
https://soundcloud.com/kailm-1/black-winter-bridge-demo-master2nolimiting
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Mar 1, 2016,
i am considering doing a project, and i was considering picking up a 6505+ 1x12" and modding and i was wondering if i could mod it to run off of EL34's (like the poor man's 6534).

kailm, you have become the authority on 6505+ combos on here, do you know if i could do it? better yet have an idea of what i would need to do to mod it?

thanks
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i am considering doing a project, and i was considering picking up a 6505+ 1x12" and modding and i was wondering if i could mod it to run off of EL34's (like the poor man's 6534).

kailm, you have become the authority on 6505+ combos on here, do you know if i could do it? better yet have an idea of what i would need to do to mod it?

thanks

The main consideration when switching from 6l6 to EL34 seems to be whether the power transformer can handle the increased current draw.

My Bassman, yeah it can do anything. A Chinese 6505? I might be a little more worried about that one.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
The main consideration when switching from 6l6 to EL34 seems to be whether the power transformer can handle the increased current draw.

My Bassman, yeah it can do anything. A Chinese 6505? I might be a little more worried about that one.

yeah. that was one of my concerns. where could i go to get a reference to the PT specs?

i want a 6534+ and maybe i am better off just buying one. ugh.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup

thanks

Thanks for the compliment, but I'm really not an expert at modding amps to that extent. All I've done is change out a few capacitors, diodes, and resistors. Not that modding it to accept EL 34's would necessarily be harder than that -- you'd just need to consult someone that knows all of the implications of that mod. I'm pretty sure it can be done, and if I recall, I read a thread on Sevenstring.org fairly recently in which a guy had purchased a 6505+ 112 used and noticed after the fact that it had EL 34s. After asking around, the place or person he bought it from claimed that it had been modded to run EL 34s. The amp worked, so I assume it was legit.

I've never owned an EL 34 amp -- are you after more upper mids? It may be a case where an EQ pedal and the right selection of preamp tubes (JJ ECC803 comes to mind) could get you close to what you're after.

Anyway, here is the schematic for the 6505+ 112:

http://www.prowessamplifiers.com/schematics/images/6505112.pdf

And this is what I used for some of the mods I did:

http://www.audunmelbye.no/2012/10/10/peavey-5150-6505-series-mods/

I'm sure Cathbard would be able to point you in the right direction for this. If you get it done, I'd be real interested in how it turns out! If anything, at least you're not out that much money if it ends up self-destructing. I'm sure you could find one used on GC for $300 if you were patient.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
You'll probably have to mod the bias circuit, something that a 6505 sorely needs anyway.

It has a 700 ohm screen resistor which would probably work ok but if it were mine I'd bump that up to at least 1k 'twer I wanting to throw EL34's in there.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification