Hey dudes, I posted a NAD about my vht deliverance a bit ago, although I love the amp, when I play leads it just sounds kinda harsh and a tad bit messy, but when I play some chug chug it sounds great, I get why it sounds messy because its unforgiving, but is there anything I can do to make the tone of it less harsh and smoother? I have a feeling its because of how dry it is, and some reverb or delay would help, but is there anything else I can do?
Last edited by PancakesGO!!!! at Jun 16, 2015,
Quote by Ippon
I remember I used Tungsram and RFT 12AX7s to smoothen the low Mids to Lows to make it work with V30s. Stock, it worked best with Fatbottoms (Eminence P50s) or Fane F70s.

Yeah I looked for some cabs loaded with either of those, I couldnt find any
VHT/Fryette are hard to get used to. my fryette is packed away at the moment. i love it, but i remember it not liking V30's. i played it through a randall cab with a pair of T75's and a 1x15" legend. it sounded better with that.

i don't even know which tubes are in mine, i will be taking it out in a few days (closing on new house tomorrow), and it will get some action there.

you do get used to it over time though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
VHT/Fryette are hard to get used to. my fryette is packed away at the moment. i love it, but i remember it not liking V30's. i played it through a randall cab with a pair of T75's and a 1x15" legend. it sounded better with that.

i don't even know which tubes are in mine, i will be taking it out in a few days (closing on new house tomorrow), and it will get some action there.

you do get used to it over time though.

Yeah Ill just mess around with some different things and see what happens, congrats on your new house dude!
Quote by PancakesGO!!!!
Yeah Ill just mess around with some different things and see what happens, congrats on your new house dude!

thanks! for once its a house i am going to stay in. other houses have been investments, this is home. so i am excited.

you WILL get used to it. the first few days sometimes can be a little odd.

as simple as it sounds, i would read the manual. sometimes you catch one little thing that can make a decent difference. VHT has a unique voicing that is just different than you had before. you will grow to like it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
thanks! for once its a house i am going to stay in. other houses have been investments, this is home. so i am excited.

you WILL get used to it. the first few days sometimes can be a little odd.

as simple as it sounds, i would read the manual. sometimes you catch one little thing that can make a decent difference. VHT has a unique voicing that is just different than you had before. you will grow to like it.

Ill do that, and yeah its a very unique amp, but thats why I bought it
http://www.fryette.com/content/D60H_SFD.pdf

give it a read.

yea, i love how fryette's sound. they can just get so plain nasty so nicely!

i would listen to 311 and try a 5751. i haven't tried it, but it wouldn't hurt.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
http://www.fryette.com/content/D60H_SFD.pdf

give it a read.

yea, i love how fryette's sound. they can just get so plain nasty so nicely!

i would listen to 311 and try a 5751. i haven't tried it, but it wouldn't hurt.

Ill give it a try, thanks a bunch dude and congrats on your new house!
Quote by PancakesGO!!!!
Ill give it a try, thanks a bunch dude and congrats on your new house!

thanks!

here is what you need to read

GAIN I increases the gain amount as you rotate the knob clockwise. As the gain increases, the tonal balance is
shifted from a treble and upper mid emphasis, which produces an up front sparkling tone, to a lower mid and
bass emphasis, which produces a thick meaty tone.
GAIN II increases the gain amount as you rotate the knob clockwise but with no alteration of the tonal balance.
Different combinations of GAIN I and GAIN II settings, will have a dramatic effect on the response of the
amplifier and the personality of your instrument. It is easy to get familiar with the action of these controls and
you’ll be amazed with your ability to make any guitar sound mellow, fat, soulful or aggressive.
The MORE / LESS switch activates or defeats a tube gain stage. The interesting and often overlooked benefit
of this switch is that you can use it in conjunction with the gain controls to tailor your tone as well as distortion
amount. For example, set GAIN I, GAIN II, MORE/LESS and MASTER VOLUME as shown in the photo above
and play for a few minutes. Now set these controls as shown in the photo below. Notice that the overall amount
of overdrive is approximately

my sig:x has the same thing, it takes a little bit of time to get it where you like it, patience will lead you to a hell of a tone.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
thanks!

here is what you need to read

my sig:x has the same thing, it takes a little bit of time to get it where you like it, patience will lead you to a hell of a tone.

Thats what Im starting to understand with these amps, they take time to get them to where you want them but its worth it in the end, and all I have is time!
Quote by PancakesGO!!!!
Thats what Im starting to understand with these amps, they take time to get them to where you want them but its worth it in the end, and all I have is time!

definietly . especially getting each gain knob where you like it. they kind of work together, but also fight against eachother. damn i really want to pull mine out.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
definietly . especially getting each gain knob where you like it. they kind of work together, but also fight against eachother. damn i really want to pull mine out.

Yeah its SUPER versatile for a 1 channel amp, I can only imagine how versatile the Sig X is, I wonder if theres much of a tonal difference between them.
Quote by PancakesGO!!!!
Yeah its SUPER versatile for a 1 channel amp, I can only imagine how versatile the Sig X is, I wonder if theres much of a tonal difference between them.

i have no idea. i was planning to buy a deliverance (actually a 60watt) and i stumbled across a deal for ~$900-$950ish on the sig:x and figured i would like it better. its a great amp. the cleans are stellar, and the first OD channel can get anything from a nice cleandirty blues, all the way up to one gain stage short of the second OD channel.

its a fun amp. i only use the lead channel though most of the time, i may as well have bought a deliverance. lol. either way they are wicked nice.

what are you using for speakers (sorry if i missed it)?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i have no idea. i was planning to buy a deliverance (actually a 60watt) and i stumbled across a deal for ~$900-$950ish on the sig:x and figured i would like it better. its a great amp. the cleans are stellar, and the first OD channel can get anything from a nice cleandirty blues, all the way up to one gain stage short of the second OD channel.

its a fun amp. i only use the lead channel though most of the time, i may as well have bought a deliverance. lol. either way they are wicked nice.

what are you using for speakers (sorry if i missed it)?

Im using rocket 50's, (15 and broke lol) but they sound quite a bit better with this amp then what my buddy's did with v30s, Im planning on buying a new cab pretty soon but theres so many options out there, I was looking for one loaded with those speakers that you mentioned but I cant seem to find any.
Quote by PancakesGO!!!!
Im using rocket 50's, (15 and broke lol) but they sound quite a bit better with this amp then what my buddy's did with v30s, Im planning on buying a new cab pretty soon but theres so many options out there, I was looking for one loaded with those speakers that you mentioned but I cant seem to find any.

rocket 50's aren't helping at all. lol. it needs another:

there are a few speakers i swear for anything. the most being a celestion K100 (or a K85, i like them better, but they are out of production and made in Britain). they have balls. they play nice with V30's too. i have 12 K85's, probably 14 V30's, 9 British T75's and some others.

next speakers i am getting are going to be splawn small-blocks for my promod and/or nitro.

____

as far as cabs go, i just pick up anything with good speakers. i scored two of the cabs with K85's in for $300 total. i kept one cab, pulled the speakers out of the other and sold the empty cab, probably got $50 for it. i have so many cabs and speakers, its not even funny.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
rocket 50's aren't helping at all.

Tell me about it, a new cab is my next purchase, the vht still sounds great though, I can only imagine what it sounds like with proper speakers, ive only been playing for a year and a half and im 15 so im not exactly rolling in the dough lol
Quote by PancakesGO!!!!
Tell me about it, a new cab is my next purchase, the vht still sounds great though, I can only imagine what it sounds like with proper speakers, ive only been playing for a year and a half and im 15 so im not exactly rolling in the dough lol

i worked at my dad's restaurant from 10-15 (before he sold it) then i got a job at 16 at target. he worked me hard, but at least i had money. it was a good experience 65% went into savings per his requirement, i played with the rest.

i don't even remember what i had at 15. i was a huge pantera fan then, and i remember getting a washburn dime 333, and having a randall RG half stack, (i think i still have that cab). i probably had a dozen guitars then. nothing amazing but a decent stock. i had some other amps too at the time, and i had a 5150 then too, but i don't remember as much about it.

once you get working and through school into your career, it is nice. i don't spend frivolously, and am relatively frugal, thats why i have what i have and no SLO's or Diezels. i don't like spending over a grand for anything gear related. i have only gone over that twice.

didn't mean to get all up on you though. just have fun and keep playing.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i worked at my dad's restaurant from 10-15 (before he sold it) then i got a job at 16 at target. he worked me hard, but at least i had money. it was a good experience 65% went into savings per his requirement, i played with the rest.

i don't even remember what i had at 15. i was a huge pantera fan then, and i remember getting a washburn dime 333, and having a randall RG half stack, (i think i still have that cab). i probably had a dozen guitars then. nothing amazing but a decent stock. i had some other amps too at the time, and i had a 5150 then too, but i don't remember as much about it.

once you get working and through school into your career, it is nice. i don't spend frivolously, and am relatively frugal, thats why i have what i have and no SLO's or Diezels. i don't like spending over a grand for anything gear related. i have only gone over that twice.

didn't mean to get all up on you though. just have fun and keep playing.

Pantera \m/ I layed sod with my dad for 2 years, 60 hours a week making 5$ an hour I had a lot of money saved up, most of it went to savings, I had to stop working because I ended up having a bunch of big surgeries Im actually home schooled so like I said, "all I have is time" Im being very cautious with my money, after all, I couldve bought a VH4 or something but I didnt lol, but yeah, Ive been looking at some new cabs for awhile now and I found a avatar 2x12 with greenbacks in it, which im thinking about getting, and dont worry about getting all up on me, I had that coming since im using rocket 50s lol
Quote by PancakesGO!!!!
Pantera \m/ I layed sod with my dad for 2 years, 60 hours a week making 5$ an hour I had a lot of money saved up, most of it went to savings, I had to stop working because I ended up having a bunch of big surgeries Im actually home schooled so like I said, "all I have is time" Im being very cautious with my money, after all, I couldve bought a VH4 or something but I didnt lol, but yeah, Ive been looking at some new cabs for awhile now and I found a avatar 2x12 with greenbacks in it, which im thinking about getting, and dont worry about getting all up on me, I had that coming since im using rocket 50s lol

i don't like greenbacks for metal. some do though. keep in mind you need at least 60 watts, they are 25w a piece. you would need a 4x12".

this is the cab i would love (but is way too expensive...):

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/orange-amplifiers-ppc-series-ppc412-hp-400w-4x12-guitar-speaker-cabinet?rNtt=orange%20ppc&index=7 but i sure as **** woudn't spend a grand on a cab. i haven't ever paid more than like $450 for a cab, and that was a mesa rec cab that was mint. but the orange cabs are nice. and it has K100's.

i spent my sophomore year as 'homebound' i am bipolar and schizophrenic, and i wasn't doing well, i spent a long time in the hospital then on quite a few spurts. i still have symptoms and they go on and off throughout time. i was just in the hospital once this last december and once in february. you gotta do what you gotta do.

i took full college classes my junior and senior year of highschool. i actually graduated with an AA before i had my high school diploma.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i don't like greenbacks for metal. some do though. keep in mind you need at least 60 watts, they are 25w a piece. you would need a 4x12".

this is the cab i would love (but is way too expensive...):

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/orange-amplifiers-ppc-series-ppc412-hp-400w-4x12-guitar-speaker-cabinet?rNtt=orange%20ppc&index=7 but i sure as **** woudn't spend a grand on a cab. i haven't ever paid more than like $450 for a cab, and that was a mesa rec cab that was mint. but the orange cabs are nice. and it has K100's.

i spent my sophomore year as 'homebound' i am bipolar and schizophrenic, and i wasn't doing well, i spent a long time in the hospital then on quite a few spurts. i still have symptoms and they go on and off throughout time. i was just in the hospital once this last december and once in february. you gotta do what you gotta do.

i took full college classes my junior and senior year of highschool. i actually graduated with an AA before i had my high school diploma.

Im getting 2 of them and Im gonna be running them at the same time. I mainly play old school metal, Megadeth, anthrax, things like that, but I use to play Van Halen stuff AALLLL the time, I learned all of the DLR era stuff while I was in the hospital, really got my chops goin, every once and awhile ill dabble in some periphery or something though. I still gotta go back to the hospital for checkups twice a week, even though the surgery was 2 years ago, I guess thats what happens when I refuse to stop playing drums after shoulder surgery (Ive been playing drums since I was 5, and thats not why I have to keep going in for check ups). I was thinking about college the other day, my uncle has a few connections to a great preforming arts college in Dallas that he might be able to get me into, but for the time being Ill just keep practicing
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Bring it over and plug it into my Splawn 212 with Small Block speakers or the Mesa 412 with V30s. I also have a 5751 or two and bunch of JJs

I might have to take you up on that offer in the not to distant future, Im gonna be out of town for a while but Ill PM you when I get back.