Hello fellow musicians,

I recently began teaching myself some slap bass technique. It's easy enough, so that's not why I'm here. I'm wondering, is there anything I should know about slap bass before I continue on with my explorations? Is there anything I need to be careful about in order to prevent injury? (stupid question inbound) Will I develop a callus on my thumb that'll make slapping easier? I'm not planning on becoming a slap bassist overnight, although it's not that hard, and I'm definitely not going to be slapping all the time, just tastefully now and then, but I want to make sure I don't do something exceptionally stupid, as I'm sometimes prone. Any info is appreciated. Thanks, guys.
You will probably develop a callous after a lot of slap playing. Just don't overdo it when playing slap. You are, after all, smashing the side of your thumb against a piece of steel and hardwood. Injuries are not common, but they are not unheard of.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
my first time learning slap bass when i was like 16 was like 7 hours of just playing around with the technique since it was totally new and fascinating to me and i thought "oh the pain is just temporary" till the next day when i had a blood blister the size of a quarter on my thumb

once that healed a few weeks later, though, it was a totally different story. now i use my thumb for the majority of my picking and i haven't had any major injury since then

that being said, don't push yourself. everybody knows the story about Flea burning a hole in his thumb in the middle of a show - don't do that
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
let the amp do most of the work and know what notes you really want to accent Take it slow at first limit to about an hour and you still will be able to practice the next day and dont think to hard it will come a lot easier play what sounds good to your ear and if you are trying to emulate a playing style it will come slowly but when it does you will know it. if emulating try to figure out what tuning the song was written in most slappers in music today is drop d also try your own different tunings you will find some things easier to play and will spark creativity
Quote by milhouse666
let the amp do most of the work and know what notes you really want to accent Take it slow at first limit to about an hour and you still will be able to practice the next day and dont think to hard it will come a lot easier play what sounds good to your ear and if you are trying to emulate a playing style it will come slowly but when it does you will know it. if emulating try to figure out what tuning the song was written in most slappers in music today is drop d also try your own different tunings you will find some things easier to play and will spark creativity

wat
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
We're sorry, sir, but under new regulations involving domestic violence, slapping your bass has become a misdemeanor offense. Nor are you allowed to spank your monkey, choke your chicken, skin a cat (there are apparently a lot of ways to do this) or do *anything* doggy style.